Quantcast
Make-It-Sound-Like-A-Record Plugin... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Make-It-Sound-Like-A-Record Plugin...
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Make-It-Sound-Like-A-Record Plugin...

Not really... But one comment I've heard a few times about my mixes is that they sound "too clean". That may have something to do with the fact that I make every effort to exclude noise and distortion from my tracks... I do not like noise and distortion, but I do like the old 60's and 70's record sound. That being said if there's a plugin out there that I could put on the master bus that would introduce some (sweet, pleasant and subtle) grit / harmonic distortion I might be interested. Track style range from electronic to R&B. Thanks for any tips.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could try the Sonnox Inflator, Voxengo Saturator, PSP MixSaturator or similar plugins.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks. Just did a search now. Should have known this topic has been covered many times before. Saturation plugin is the tool. Sonnox inflator has been well reviewed here. the URS plug looks interesting too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes I think you should get there with a good saturation plug. I never tried the URS tool.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This is what I use Nebula for - subtle colouration with the tape, channel strip and Pre Amp presets.

I also really like the Feilding DSP reviver.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just read the post about the SPL plug. Sounds promising.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dont underestimate the power of "unwanted" noises. I have learnt that trying to make every track sound pristine will effectively kill the vibe.

Let there be noise and distortion (in moderation ofc), Use noise-gate or strip-silence where it bugs you to much. Most of the times, you wont really hear the small imperfections, they just help to glue the mix.

Claes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo ➑️
Dont underestimate the power of "unwanted" noises. I have learnt that trying to make every track sound pristine will effectively kill the vibe.

Let there be noise and distortion (in moderation ofc), Use noise-gate or strip-silence where it bugs you to much. Most of the times, you wont really hear the small imperfections, they just help to glue the mix.

Claes
Yes I think you're right. I've effectively obtained clean (guitar and bass) recordings but listeners find the results to not sound "real". Too clinical I guess. Need to restore some mojo. But knowing myself I will want to control noise very carefully and deliberately...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The digidesign tape plugin is really effective and I think it does some pretty cool mojo stuff. Phoenix is also pretty cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can try Waves vintage stuffs (JJP/SSL/V-Series/API).

Yeah yeah WUP. Can we just don't talk about that one please?
GS Community Manager

+1 for the SSL G Comp... either in Waves or Duende format. It sounds like a record (on the right material).

Don't strap it across a classical piece, mind you...
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
maybe try some heavier sub mix and mix bus compression/saturation
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The new VST DSOTM plug in is great. It makes any demo recording made in your room sound like DSOTM or even better!!! thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply