Quantcast
Question on sending protools wav files to someone esle for mixing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question on sending protools wav files to someone esle for mixing
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question on sending protools wav files to someone esle for mixing

Ok. So someone else is mixing a project I'm doing. I sent him the first song (all the final wav files in zip format) which he did a great job on but he had to take all the wav files and line them up in time because they were just the wave files not with any time markers on them. The question I have is how to send him these files in a zip file as wav files but them still having their times in the songs from the original protools sessions. Is this possible? If so, how? Thank you

BTW, he is using a different DAW than protools.
Old 24th January 2009
GS Community Manager

Unless you have Digitranslator and he has a DAW that can import OMF, the best solution is to bounce each track individually - that way, he lines them all up at 0:00 at the start of his session and everything will be in sync. Some tracks may have silence or whatever at the beginning but then there won't be any messing about.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➑️
Unless you have Digitranslator and he has a DAW that can import OMF, the best solution is to bounce each track individually - that way, he lines them all up at 0:00 at the start of his session and everything will be in sync. Some tracks may have silence or whatever at the beginning but then there won't be any messing about.
do it that way. It's how I do it and everyone who works wih me... Easy, quick and fool proof.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nothing simpler in Pro Tools: highlight all the tracks from bar 1 to the end of the song, select the"consolidate" function in the menu and new individual continuous files will be created all starting from Bar one, ready to import into any DAW. Just drag the new created continuous files (easy to spot either by creation date and/or length) and drag them into a new folder as these ar all you need.
This is esier & safer than using OMF export that may not be 100% reliable.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot ➑️
Definitely the foolproof method.

What's his DAW? Does it not timestamp the wav files? If you're using PT and the files are timestamped, you should be able to "Spot" them to their original position.

How do you timestamp a Protools wave file?

If all the other methods suggested fail, then I will do the individual bounce method.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Nothing simpler in Pro Tools: highlight all the tracks from bar 1 to the end of the song, select the"consolidate" function in the menu and new individual continuous files will be created all starting from Bar one, ready to import into any DAW. Just drag the new created continuous files (easy to spot either by creation date and/or length) and drag them into a new folder as these ar all you need.
This is esier & safer than using OMF export that may not be 100% reliable.

ahhhh I see...so your conslidating, not just the parts that are being played but the whole track including the silent parts. The silent parts are being consolidated into the the playing parts...So the whole track includes everything when consolidated from 0 seconds to the end, rather than just sending him the wav files that start at random places not from second 0. Ok I think this is the best way to do it. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroses6300 ➑️
ahhhh I see...so your conslidating, not just the parts that are being played but the whole track including the silent parts. The silent parts are being consolidated into the the playing parts...So the whole track includes everything when consolidated from 0 seconds to the end, rather than just sending him the wav files that start at random places not from second 0. Ok I think this is the best way to do it. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes.
I highlight all the files as others have said but I make sure that I do command F first and drop in fades on all the edit points. If you have already done that you're good to go but on my TDM system it has an automatic crossfade on playback that is not implemented on Consolidate. I'm on 6.7 so maybe that's different now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Doesn't ProTools let one record in the standard Broadcast wave format as a choice? Like other daws? That gives instant lineup no matter where or how you load em.

Or is this one of those things where you have to pay an extra $5000 for that option on ProTools stuff?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yes, you can choose which format to record to. WAV, AIFF, SD II. Someone may have answered this, but pro tools automatically adds a time stamp to the audio file. The only sure fire way to do it is to consolidate audio. I mix in pro tools and it's always nice to get a session file with markers, tempo maps, etc. Even if someone records in Logic, Nuendo or DP, it's nice to get a session cause I can open it up in the original daw and get an idea of what the producer was thinking at last listen.

Rough mixes are REALLY great too.

Don't forget that if you have any FX that you've become "married to" to print those FX to a track. This can really help out and ensures you get what you want in the end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually one more question. When consolidating files for the task I stated above, how to print the fades I may have on the track when the track is being consolidated? Thanks again everyone!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Actually one more question. When consolidating files for the task I stated above, how to print the fades I may have on the track when the track is being consolidated? Thanks again everyone!
Protools automatically calculates the fades into the consolidation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So there in the wav files even out of protools? I consolidate them in protools and then I send each wav file to a zip file for someone else to open up and mix. Is this person getting the fades in these wav files?

Thanks
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So there in the wav files even out of protools? I consolidate them in protools and then I send each wav file to a zip file for someone else to open up and mix. Is this person getting the fades in these wav files?

Thanks
Autmation fades, no. Fades or crossfades you've added to in the Edit window on the waveforms, yes. When you consolidate, it renders those fades into the file you create.

If you want to save your automation fades for the mixer, you'll have to print the track with it's automation to another track by setting the original track's output to a bus, then a new audio tracks input to the same bus and recording the whole song.
πŸ“ Reply