Quantcast
Defragging different file systems... ok? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Defragging different file systems... ok?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Defragging different file systems... ok?

So I have all kinds of different file systems on my computer... my Leopard drive is HFS+, most of the windows drives are NTFS, and I think one of my storage drives is even FAT32.

Can I defrag all these drives with the same defrag program, or will defragging a mac drive with a windows program or vica-versa cause heartache?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can't defrag a Mac file-system using Windows - it only knows about Windows formats (i.e. FAT and NTFS). Equally I don't know if any Mac programs support Windows formats, maybe some support FAT almost certainly not NTFS.

If you keep your Mac volumes with a decent amount of free space there's every chance they won't be fragmented much. Unlike NTFS or FAT, HFS (and Linux) file systems automatically defrag during a save so the file is written contiguously where possible.

So absolutely defrag your Windows partitions (PerfectDisk rocks), but there's usually little need to do so on Mac. By the way ignore people who say Windows doesn't need defragmenting either - it does depend what the computer is being used for - but it can make a HUGE difference.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoL ➡️
You can't defrag a Mac file-system using Windows - it only knows about Windows formats (i.e. FAT and NTFS). Equally I don't know if any Mac programs support Windows, maybe with FAT.
I use MacDrive to see my Mac disks in Windows, and Paragon to use NTFS in Leopard.

Quote:
If you keep your Mac volumes with a decent amount of free space there's every chance they won't be fragmented much. Unlike NTFS or FAT, HFS (and Linux) file systems automatically defrag during a save so the file is written contiguously where possible.

So absolutely defrag your Windows partitions (PerfectDisk rocks), but there's usually little need to do so on Mac. By the way ignore people who say Windows doesn't need defragmenting either - it does depend what the computer is being used for - but it can make a HUGE difference.
Ok, cool! Thanks for the info!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➡️
I use MacDrive to see my Mac disks in Windows, and Paragon to use NTFS in Leopard.
Hi - there's a big difference between providing read or read/write file access and supporting defrag operations. Defrag is a lower level operation and has to be got right or you risk destroying the data - more risky. These guys providing these utilities are highly unlikely to want to go there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If you are looking for a defrag solution for OS X, check out:
Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag
📝 Reply