Quantcast
When is MIC MODELLING really uptospeed ? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When is MIC MODELLING really uptospeed ?
Old 23rd September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I get annoyed that products cannot stand on their own, that the only way to success is to tie a product to a famous product of the past even if the only connection is in the name.

But what all this crap advertising does is to get us to try the products, and though as far as I can tell, none of the software emulations sound like their hardware counterparts and few of the budget hardware emulations sound like their far more expensive hardware counterparts, some of the products do sound good in their own right. If they have to tell you that it is something superspecialicious to get you to try it, well I'm just not as pissed off about that as i used to be... mostly because I've seen so many good products fail because they had no crowd appeal, while some just so-so products continue to have success because of a tenuous connection to some historic and desirable product from the past that no one can afford.

Mic emulation software doesn't even make any sense. In the most simple theory of how such a device would work, you would have to start with a signal recorded by a high quality measurement mic in a known room at a given SPL before you could apply the emulation modifications to it and even that idea falls apart if you begin to examine it. If you put Carrot Top into Nicole Scherzinger's dress, you still have Carrot Top.
Old 23rd September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Frankly... it does work for some things... doesn't do what it says, but can be used creatively to shape the sound... every once in a blue moon i might reach for it.... but it's definitely no sub for real mics..
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about a combination of software modelling and fiber optic mic technology? From what I've read, fiber optic mics aren't quite in the realm of "high-fidelity" yet, but they're not far off. If fiber optic mics (or laser mics, or some other emerging tech) are developed to the point where they have a better freq/transient response than the best electro-mechanical mics, could the high-resolution signal they create then be transformed by DSP to sound as though it had been captured by a conventional mic?

Kingfisher Fiber Optic Microphone SOM(4)EXF
📝 Reply