Quantcast
Best IR (Impulse Reverbs) 2009 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best IR (Impulse Reverbs) 2009
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best IR (Impulse Reverbs) 2009

Yeah, so what is the candidates right now ?

Also if you recommend something it might be based on personal experience, even better is that you have tried many so you can compare...

I myself is still using the "Halls of Fame" IR collection.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Lex 300 and EMT 245 from Acousticas sound excellent and are well worth the price.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH ➑️
The Lex 300 and EMT 245 from Acousticas sound excellent and are well worth the price.
Do you know if these impulses are true stereo?

I totally forgot about these guys.

Thanks.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I always thought the impulses on the Waves IR1 were the best. The reason is from a Sound on Sound article on what was done to get the sounds.

"a lot of innovation has also gone in to creating the impulse responses themselves, many of which were recorded in world-famous buildings β€” the full list is reproduced elsewhere in this review. Arranging access to these buildings is no trivial matter, so a process was devised that would produce the very best results, and which would also translate to future multi-channel surround formats. The IR recordings were made by Professor Angelo Farina of Parma University, who developed an improved method of capturing the impulse responses to minimise noise contamination and harmonic distortion, presumably by using slower sweep signals and/or correlating multiple sweeps rather than the simplistic 'bursting a balloon' approach. All the IRs were sampled at 96kHz and a comprehensive set of 360-degree surround measurements was taken (one measurement every 10 degrees), which is why his impulse responses can be used for surround as well as the present stereo system. Professor Farina's system is also claimed to capture the early reflections in a way that preserves stereo directional information more effectively, though no additional information is available on how this was achieved."
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra ➑️

Thanks.
No, they are not true stereo.
I have the Lexicon 300 IR.
There is only one Stereo Impulse for each Preset (48000 Hz - 32 bit).

Best regards
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1

Emilio
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacue ➑️
No, they are not true stereo.
I have the Lexicon 300 IR.
There is only one Stereo Impulse for each Preset (48000 Hz - 32 bit).

Best regards
Thanks teacue.

How do you like them? Would you say the mp3s examples on their website is representative of the impulses? I really like what I'm hearing on those.

Thanks in advance.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thanks.
They sound like hardware @ 88.2k in Altiverb and Space Designer so I don't care. On mono channels w/sends It doesn't matter anyways.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks teacue.

How do you like them? Would you say the mp3s examples on their website is representative of the impulses? I really like what I'm hearing on those.

Thanks in advance.
yes. If there are any better IR's, which i'm sure there could be, I'd like to get them because the Acousticas are killer. If I want space and depth these are all I use now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yes. If there are any better IR's, which i'm sure there could be, I'd like to get them because the Acousticas are killer. If I want space and depth these are all I use now.
Great! And thank you!
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Another thumbsup for the acousticas 300 impulses.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the Acousticas, and today they have sent out an update email with 156 Plates added at no extra charge to current owners. Was well worth the price before, even better deal now.
Audio Alchemist

Space Designer>Small Spaces>Indoor Spaces>0.08 Air Balloon

Great for blending and stereorizing.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The best impulses for me are the Acousticas impulse responses.

The sound is great and very natural and I am using those impulses all the time.

Today I got another set of plates for the lexicon 300 library - free of charge for current owners
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Anyone have a take on these?

Hollywood Impulse Responses

Great concept, and Ernest is a wonderfully insightful guy. I just wish he had some better/more relevant demos on his site.

I'm primarily after the best Abbey Road approximation I can get (I do a lot of scoring and am always after that sound). His stuff seems to be really targeted at guys like me...

Anyway, I'm grabbing his stuff either way, just wanted to know if anyone else has played with them. The Acousticas stuff sounds great too...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+ 1 on the Acousticas. the EMT plate and the new Lexicon 300 Plates are wonderful.
but in mix-usefulness and mix-musicality when you need classic (80') and modern artificial Reverb i find that Studio devices Breescati and lexicon IR are the best reverb tools ITB.
Most IR packages give you way too much post IR. too much of real rooms and vacum cleaner tubes that have no buisness in a musical mix. the Studio devices excell in having great tools for mixing. they have a basic demo on their site. trust mr on these - it's one og those cases where the demo sound inferior to the product'and it's far from showing their full potential.
i prefer them over any algorithmic reverb i have tried and over any IR i heard. i bought them just to hear a taste of the Breescati, as i couldn't find any unit to demo round here.
(B.T.W if i anyone from breecasti is reading these, you might want to think about buying these IR and let people downlod them free - it's the best marketing tool. anyone who listened to the IR's had the same reaction - "wow if these are so good, imagine the real unit... i should probabaly get oneof those )
they really have something special going there as no other IR that i have tried sound as spacious and musical without having that midrange nasal reverb bulidup or increasing the low Mid-Mud.

and there is the Nebula Reverbs...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz ➑️
+ 1 on the Acousticas. the EMT plate and the new Lexicon 300 Plates are wonderful.
but in mix-usefulness and mix-musicality when you need classic (80') and modern artificial Reverb i find that Studio devices Breescati and lexicon IR are the best reverb tools ITB.
Most IR packages give you way too much post IR. too much of real rooms and vacum cleaner tubes that have no buisness in a musical mix. the Studio devices excell in having great tools for mixing. they have a basic demo on their site. trust mr on these - it's one og those cases where the demo sound inferior to the product'and it's far from showing their full potential.
i prefer them over any algorithmic reverb i have tried and over any IR i heard. i bought them just to hear a taste of the Breescati, as i couldn't find any unit to demo round here.
(B.T.W if i anyone from breecasti is reading these, you might want to think about buying these IR and let people downlod them free - it's the best marketing tool. anyone who listened to the IR's had the same reaction - "wow if these are so good, imagine the real unit... i should probabaly get oneof those )
they really have something special going there as no other IR that i have tried sound as spacious and musical without having that midrange nasal reverb bulidup or increasing the low Mid-Mud.

and there is the Nebula Reverbs...
So what about Nebula Reverb? I'm think this technology is the best to capture reverb since it can capture the tail of the reverb. Or so i hear. I'm planing on buying Nebula and will ask if they can sample the bricasti.

I don't think you push the Bricasti guy to do what you said. But i think they should make their own IRs and sale them. They're losing a chunk of the market anyway.

Thanks to you and others for your feedback.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for the Studio Devices Lexicography1/2 & Bree Casedy.
Although Acousticas is very good too ....

Fredo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't think you push the Bricasti guy to do what you said. But i think they should make their own IRs and sale them. They're losing a chunk of the market anyway.
I'm too busy pushing the state of the art forward so that they will have new reverbs to copy next year. heh

-Casey
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey ➑️
I'm too busy pushing the state of the art forward so that they will have new reverbs to copy next year. heh

-Casey
Haha! And we can tell from your pick how busy you are!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really am enjoying the Acousticas (have both) and the Hollywood Impulses are INSANELY GOOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar ➑️
Anyone have a take on these?

Hollywood Impulse Responses

Great concept, and Ernest is a wonderfully insightful guy. I just wish he had some better/more relevant demos on his site..
They (the Hollywood IR's) are in a category/class of their own as they are intended to create a very specific time and place. I will venture the statement they are somewhat like mixing in 'air' as they create a nice color around everything that tends to 'sum' the instruments within that colored space beyond the expectation of 'verb'. I hope he creates some more products expanding on this as they are really, really satisfying and unlike anything else I have used.

Last edited by Loopy C; 27th January 2009 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Additional comment
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C ➑️
(the Hollywood IR's)...are somewhat like mixing in 'air' as they create a nice color around everything that tends to 'sum' the instruments within that colored space beyond the expectation of 'verb'.
That's exactly what I wanted to know - thanks for that great description! Placing my order ASAP...
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone tried the Pure Space Classical or Film from Numerical Sound? I'm blown away by the Pure Space Classical right now! The Pure Space film too but it's exactly what i need.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyone tried the Pure Space Classical or Film from Numerical Sound? I'm blown away by the Pure Space Classical right now! The Pure Space film too but it's exactly what i need.
I have wanted to get one or the other for a while but after requesting what spaces where on each, any kind of general sense of what he considers 'sacred',etc and not getting a response to that particular question (he was helpful in all other respects) it went to the back burner (especially as the 24 bit versions are not cheap).

Let me know if you find out anything because every time I use the Hollywood's I want to get more from him but not without knowing what's on there, just can't drop that amount based on enthusiasm alone!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, he really needs to come down about $100-$150 for both the 16 and 24bit products. I bet he'd see his sales double. Great libraries though.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo ➑️
Another vote for the Studio Devices Lexicography1/2 & Bree Casedy.
Although Acousticas is very good too ....

Fredo
Fredo, you are always costing me money!!
I had not heard about these libraries (Studio Devices) until today, now I find myself about to plonk down another €200.....(sigh)
Are they really that good??

I am still (mainly) using "Halls Of Fame" (Gotta love those), Acousticas & some of the stock AltiVerb L480 for music work, as well as the AltiVerb AMX at times.
For those "Halls of Fame" owners, you may also be interested to know about an alternative set from the same devices - Welcome to the Frontpage - where there are true stereo versions also available in all formats too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes ➑️
Good enough to justify a €200 plonk.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes ➑️
Fredo, you are always costing me money!!
I had not heard about these libraries (Studio Devices) until today, now I find myself about to plonk down another €200.....(sigh)

I am still (mainly) using "Halls Of Fame" (Gotta love those), Acousticas & some of the stock AltiVerb L480 for music work, as well as the AltiVerb AMX at times.
For those "Halls of Fame" owners, you may also be interested to know about an alternative set from the same devices - Welcome to the Frontpage - where there are true stereo versions also available in all formats too.
Yes i hear good things about samplicity.

But i though halls of fame did have true stereo impulses. You just need to load both the L and R version of the same IR, isn't that so?

Allthese damn impulses mentioned here seem to be good!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seems not to be much competition, most people seem to recommend Acoustic's impulse reverbs, gotta try those!

I am not that familiar with with the Lexicon 300 and it strengths and weakness... How is it compared with for instance the Lexicon PCM models ?

I mostly seek reverbs for ambient music, big long space reverbs that flow like a river... I hope the Acoustica's reverbs are able to make these kinds of reverbs.

I use Waves IR1 (I assume this is still considered the best one by the majority?)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion ➑️
Seems not to be much competition, most people seem to recommend Acoustic's impulse reverbs, gotta try those!

I am not that familiar with with the Lexicon 300 and it strengths and weakness... How is it compared with for instance the Lexicon PCM models ?

I mostly seek reverbs for ambient music, big long space reverbs that flow like a river... I hope the Acoustica's reverbs are able to make these kinds of reverbs.

I use Waves IR1 (I assume this is still considered the best one by the majority?)
1) One of my personal favorite hardware of all time, is the lexicon 300... Love the 224 as well.

2) the irs from acousticas are simply amazing.
There are still things that I can do with the hardware that their IRs wont allow. But then again, with the hardware you have a million possibilities and acousticas offer "Only" about 300 IRs. But at least they keep updating their lexicon lib. So maybe when the ir lib. is 20GB of size, it will be like the real lexicon. hehe.

After audio ease released AV 6.3.0 I was pleasantly surprised. This is the most stable version I have had the past 3 years. When AV works it is better than IR-1. At least it does not stop convolving after 6 seconds, which is the max. convolving of IR-1.
πŸ“ Reply