Best IR (Impulse Reverbs) 2009 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best IR (Impulse Reverbs) 2009
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion ➑️
...use Waves IR1 (I assume this is still considered the best one by the majority?)
I myself use Altiverb, which has at present a longer sample/IR time (I believe 25ghosts inquired at the Waves site about a few of the longest Acoustica's not working because of this current limitation), and personally find the ever growing Audio Ease library (a new IR around every three weeks) to be outstanding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C ➑️
I myself use Altiverb, which has at present a longer sample/IR time (I believe 25ghosts inquired at the Waves site about a few of the longest Acoustica's not working because of this current limitation), and personally find the ever growing Audio Ease library (a new IR around every three weeks) to be outstanding.
Correct. Besides that Altiverb is pretty CPU freindly and I, for one, really like the EQ the have built in.

In addition, I think that Altiverb has the best IR browser of them all. Loading in IR-1 can be qutie a drag. Still, IR-1 is something I use a lot.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I want to chime in and second the recommendation for Acousticas Lexicon 300 Library. That in combination with TL Space (or any other Impulse Reverb of your choice) and you'll have such a lush and warm sounding reverb in the box - I am blown away! Gotta get the EMT Impulses soon too. Blows Halls of Fame away IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I use Waves IR1 (I assume this is still considered the best one by the majority?)
No Altiverb is considered the best one. I have both, each has it's strengths and weaknesses.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Space designer is very efficient inside Logic. I can run dozens of them and it sounds good with the right impulses.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alright for me the choice seem to be between Altiverb or Space Designer.
According to Acoustica's homepage, these are the only two that will allow longer reverbs 64 seconds.

It seems that Altiverb is the most highly regarded between the two...
But I am still not sure, is Altiverb hardware ?
And does it only work in Pro Tools ?

Why I am asking is cause I do not own Pro Tools, I use Sonar 8 and Vista 64 bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Alright for me the choice seem to be between Altiverb or Space Designer.
According to Acoustica's homepage, these are the only two that will allow longer reverbs 64 seconds.

It seems that Altiverb is the most highly regarded between the two...
But I am still not sure, is Altiverb hardware ?
And does it only work in Pro Tools ?

Why I am asking is cause I do not own Pro Tools, I use Sonar 8 and Vista 64 bit.
If you are on PC then you only have one choice from the above, Altiverb. Space Designer is part of the Mac-only 'Logic Pro Studio' and only runs within Logic.

Altiverb is software, info is available on the their site:

Altiverb
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you are on PC then you only have one choice from the above, Altiverb. Space Designer is part of the Mac-only 'Logic Pro Studio' and only runs within Logic.

Altiverb
Ok thank you, I will try Altireverb then.
I also saw the introduction video for Altiverb quite interesting

They say in the end of the video that Altiverb is up to 4 times more CPU efficient then their competitors, does this also mean 4 times less quality ?
4 Times is a lot! so I just wonder!

I also will be looking out for the new Waves IR version that is coming this month.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no its top quality compared at least to other impuls reverbs.

you can get a demo version of altiverb from audioease....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok thank you, I will try Altireverb then.
I also saw the introduction video for Altiverb quite interesting

They say in the end of the video that Altiverb is up to 4 times more CPU efficient then their competitors, does this also mean 4 times less quality ?
4 Times is a lot! so I just wonder!

I also will be looking out for the new Waves IR version that is coming this month.
I have both and I don't use Waves anymore. The library of Altiverb is in a different league.

The only feature I miss from IR-1 is the adjustable gain envelope over the impulse response.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Altiverb
It seems according the site, that it is only working in XP. does it work for vista 64 bit ???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did just found out, depressingly enough, that Altiverb does not work in Sonar 64bit, but you must install Sonar as 32bit (still works under vista 64bit).

But if I have understood right, the main reason to install Sonar in 64 bit mode is to able to use more ram ?

I have bought 12 GB of ram for this system ONLY for Sonar.
If I run Sonar in 32bit mode, I am limited to 3 GB ???
Or is Vista still able to give 32 bit applications above 3gb ram ?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I did just found out, depressingly enough, that Altiverb does not work in Sonar 64bit, but you must install Sonar as 32bit (still works under vista 64bit).

But if I have understood right, the main reason to install Sonar in 64 bit mode is to able to use more ram ?

I have bought 12 GB of ram for this system ONLY for Sonar.
If I run Sonar in 32bit mode, I am limited to 3 GB ???
Or is Vista still able to give 32 bit applications above 3gb ram ?
Does Sonar 32 install on Vista 64? If it does it won't be much of an issue (and I'd go to the Sonar forums & tech support for a more detailed answer). If it is Vista 32 only you can use something like one of these products to allow you to use the ram:
Disk Cache, Hybrid Disk Cache and RamDisk
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroyallmnstrs ➑️
Does Sonar 32 install on Vista 64? If it does it won't be much of an issue (and I'd go to the Sonar forums & tech support for a more detailed answer). If it is Vista 32 only you can use something like one of these products to allow you to use the ram:
Disk Cache, Hybrid Disk Cache and RamDisk
Vista 64 bit can run both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, However, not all work..

Needed to say is though, that I do not get optimal performance in 32bit mode, especially it is the memory performance that is affected, not only the capacity limit.

Well maybe I got not much of an choice, it seems that waves plugins does not work well either with 64 bit.

I will look into the programs in the link...
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use Waves IR-L, and the extra set of IRs that they provide (for download or you can buy them on a couple DVDs.) There's a pretty wide selection and they sound quite nice and IR-L is simple and to the point, and reasonably light weight for a convolution IR. I've never felt too much need to upgrade it to the full IR-1 really. Something else might be some incremental bit better, but I've not found myself feeling compelled to spend more to find out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Vista 64 bit can run both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, However, not all work..

Needed to say is though, that I do not get optimal performance in 32bit mode, especially it is the memory performance that is affected, not only the capacity limit.

Well maybe I got not much of an choice, it seems that waves plugins does not work well either with 64 bit.

I will look into the programs in the link...
Perhaps you should try SIR2. Works with Vista.

SIR: SIR2
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
I use Waves IR-L, and the extra set of IRs that they provide (for download or you can buy them on a couple DVDs.) There's a pretty wide selection and they sound quite nice and IR-L is simple and to the point, and reasonably light weight for a convolution IR. I've never felt too much need to upgrade it to the full IR-1 really. Something else might be some incremental bit better, but I've not found myself feeling compelled to spend more to find out.
Yeah, but we have concluded in this topic, that Wave IR-1 is not the the optimal choice, if you want to make long reverb tails.... Also once again, I am unsure if works with Vista 64 bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra ➑️
Perhaps you should try SIR2. Works with Vista.

SIR: SIR2
I am aware of SIR2, it is indeed a choice, but I am still not sure that I can trust the quality of it, would be interesting to hear how it does compare with Waves IR-1 or Altiverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And by the way, does anyone know if the Acoustic'as IRs are watermarked, like Samplecity's IRs are ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And by the way, does anyone know if the Acoustic'as IRs are watermarked, like Samplecity's IRs are ?
What do you mean by watermarked?

About SIR2, you can download the demo and try it for yourself. I'm sure it's a good plugin but you wont get loads of impulses like Altiverb. You wont have to deal with a dongle either. Copy protection system is the coolest.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra ➑️
What do you mean by watermarked?

About SIR2, you can download the demo and try it for yourself. I'm sure it's a good plugin but you wont get loads of impulses like Altiverb. You wont have to deal with a dongle either. Copy protection system is the coolest.
Watermarks is used to protect against pirate copying..
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I haven't used it myself but Studio Devices has Reflections LE.

STUDIODEVICES, Reflections LE, Impulse Responses, Library, Faltungshall, Convolution
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Watermarks is used to protect against pirate copying..
Thanks dude. Well i hope they are not watermarked since i plan on buying them and install them on 3 computers(my PCs).

ReflectionsLE supposedly let you modulate the reverb. I thought this was interesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

STUDIODEVICES, Reflections LE, Impulse Responses, Library, Faltungshall, Convolution
ReflectionsLE supposedly let you modulate the reverb. I thought this was interesting.

I also know they are working on a smaller version of their plugin that will ship free of charge with all their libraries. Perhaps a way to protect their IRs?
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Been searching for an affordable solution for reverbs and I think I will go with the Reflections LE + BC.

The demos sounds really good. The sounds I can get with the plugs in Reaper isn't even close (maybe that is more telling about me than the reverbs though.. :-).

/Peter
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Did listen to the samples, to me they did give a very mediocre impression.
Even my Halls of Fame IR library sound better then this I think.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I downloaded and tried the Reflections LE demo and ran into some problems. With guitar I got nice results on a hall-reverb but with claves there was a distorted sound briefly in the reverbtail after a second or so. Could this be a setting problem or is this a common problem with lower priced plugin solutions?

Think I remember someone mentioned something similar about some IR-plugin.

If it wasn't for the fan in the Bricasti I would love to try one out but I can't stand recording gear that make noises.

/Peter
Old 10th April 2009

🎧 10 years
HIGHLY underated and also hidden from sight it seems but stunning

V-synthesis - exotic studio samples , synth patches and impulse responses

ignore the demos ! these are Really good.The h3000 captures the grain of the machine , the h8000 ones are super expansive and simply stunning for large spaces and electronica .Email them and ask for discount ! i got all 4 sets for Β£55 , these are sound quality wise as good as any others online but i think just not marketed as well.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you cannot use all convolution software without quality loss

i just used tl space beside of knuficke reverb and waves ! and damn the same algorithms sounding tin
boring tired !

just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock ➑️
I want to chime in and second the recommendation for Acousticas Lexicon 300 Library. That in combination with TL Space (or any other Impulse Reverb of your choice) and you'll have such a lush and warm sounding reverb in the box - I am blown away! Gotta get the EMT Impulses soon too. Blows Halls of Fame away IMHO.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I am pretty amazed with the Bricasti IRs (Bree Casedy).
I wish you would be able to afford the real deal, but well ... if you can get at least a tiny bit close to it by having IRs ... well

My two cents on IR reverbs in general:

Basically they are just as good as the IRs are. Altiverb is not a dime better than IR1 or than Wizooverb or Space Designer.
It is just a matter of the IR quality.

I have Altiverb for a very long time now and I only either long for the ToddAO scoring stage impulse, which I consider one of the best IRs which can be downloaded from the Altiverb website, ... but then it wasn't recorded by the Audioease guys, but (not sure, please correct me if I am wrong) from the ToddAO team itself. I think they did a tremendous job!! Sadly I don't hear that "character" or "something" in all those other IRs recorded by Audioease.

However, I think that I can recreate better rooms (or at least more pristine and shiny signals) with IRs from synthesis reverbs such as Samplicity or the Studio Devices Bree Casedys.
I don't know but I always feel that IRs from rooms or halls actually swallow some of the frequencies, while the synthesis reverb don't do that.
I know, the swallowing happens since it is the original rooms behavious and characteristics, so it is not actually a wrong recorded signal ... but somehow I feel my stuff sounds better with IRs from Lexicon or Bricasti devices ...
πŸ“ Reply