Quantcast
Why does laptop battery die in 10 min - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does laptop battery die in 10 min
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why does laptop battery die in 10 min

First off, I do not use battery when using as a DAW. I keep laptop docked with battery plugged into power supply when tracking-mixing. I am just curious if anyone knows why my battery dies in 10 min if it is not plugged in used for normal PC stuff?

Googled= conflicting reports.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How old is the battery ?
It may have reached the end of its' serviceable life .
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stupid thing is under a year old. Never really used it much. Should I remove it if I am not using it? Keep it in the freezer? Under my pillow?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would keep the battery in circuit , it may act to smooth out ripples , just check it for signs of swelling or leaks frequently .

Not sure about LiIon batteries , but I do know other battery chemistry performs better when it is being cycled through full charge/full discharge .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just sounds like it's had it. I think the freezer trick is old hat and only worked (sometimes) on NiCad batteries.

Batteries do have a charge control CPU which can be reset sometimes. I guess it's possible this may be getting things wrong. Worth a (further) google for battery related topics with your specific battery/laptop.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Laptop batteries will die if left in all the time. If you have your power running your laptop take out the battery and only use it when needed.
This is something that is never told by the computer manufacturers but is found the hard way. I'm on my second battery and have no problems once I started taking it out.
If you check with cnet or pcmag on laptop battery tips you find the same there
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
as mentioned above may work to increase battery life
batteries anymore (in the quest to make laptops as cheap as possible)
last 6-12 months on average. they tend to last longer a little longer if actually used

Scott
ADK
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsferatu ➑️
Laptop batteries will die if left in all the time. If you have your power running your laptop take out the battery and only use it when needed.
This is something that is never told by the computer manufacturers but is found the hard way. I'm on my second battery and have no problems once I started taking it out.
If you check with cnet or pcmag on laptop battery tips you find the same there
I'm not so sure this is true. (And some laptops over the years have refused to operate without a battery in them, even if plugged in.)

It certainly is contradicted by the information that came with my laptop five years ago. My first battery lasted about 3 years. For the first two years the laptop was in the field every day (dayjob and lifestyle related). And when it wasn't, it was plugged in and used as a primary machine at home/office, too. (The battery life on the Pentium M/Centrino machine lasted about 5 hours when it was new, dropping to the 2-3 hour range after a couple years. Right at the end of the first battery's life, the usage time dropped to 1-1/12 hours and sometimes less, which was unacceptable to me. I bought a new one -- same manufacturer as the original -- from a third party vendor for roughly 75-80% what the manufacturer was charging... amusingly, I could have paid considerably more at other third party vendors. It pays to shop.)

Scott -- I would be downright pissed off if I only go 6 months or a year out of a battery. Admittedly, my machine (and, I suppose, therefore my battery spec) is five years old. But my mom's 17" CoreDuo is a year and a half old, is almost never on the battery, and appears to be doing fine. (Maybe I should see how quickly the original battery runs down, though; I think I'll do that.)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Same thing happened with my Macbook Pro. After 3 months, the battery was useless. What kind of computer is it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Same thing happened with my Macbook Pro. After 3 months, the battery was useless. What kind of computer is it?
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsferatu ➑️
If you have your power running your laptop take out the battery and only use it when needed.
This might be the case with some types of laptops on the market, but if you do this with Apple laptops you lower your CPU power.

MacBook and MacBook Pro: Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A/C adaptor

What laptop is it btw? You never mentioned.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
these laptop batteries wants the electrons to flow. :-)

they like to be used and get completly empty from time to time and then they like it to be completly charged in one go.

the dont like it to be constantly plugged into the power supply.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️

Scott -- I would be downright pissed off if I only go 6 months or a year out of a battery. Admittedly, my machine (and, I suppose, therefore my battery spec) is five years old. But my mom's 17" CoreDuo is a year and a half old, is almost never on the battery, and appears to be doing fine. (Maybe I should see how quickly the original battery runs down, though; I think I'll do that.)

1) i have yet to see a laptop (in recent yrs) that could not run without the battery in it.

2)laptop batteries of today are sad man. even in high end laptops. (12v)

if you look at pretty much anyone the battery warranty is 6 months.

i have 2 laptops at home (left over from testing that didnt work for audio)
the 17" battery was useless with in 3 months and had to removed or the system would not even post. (asus 17)

the other a 15" compal dead battery within 8 months.

yet i have a 4 yr old ECS we just retired (secretary used it for yrs) whos battery still works. (keyboard and touchpad no longer functions)

scott
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➑️
they like to be used and get completely empty from time to time and then they like it to be completely charged in one go
Yeah, it's worth checking to make sure that the battery status reported to the laptop correlates with what's actually left in the battery. That can get off under some conditions and once the machine thinks it has run down, it may as well have. I got my mother one that did that and it would discharge properly for the first 50% then start dropping off really quick and go into standby or shutdown. Run something like "Batcal" or see if there's a BIOS routine for calibrating the battery. I think all they really do is start from a full charge and run the battery down to total empty as Blaugruen7 described. You may need to turn off whatever power saving stuff might stop the computer from staying on when you do it. I had to run that cycle a few times to get that one I bought accurate.

Of course if it was discharging fine and then just starting dying really quick like that, it could be worse off (like dead cells,etc.).

Good luck with it.

<edit>
Quote:
the dont like it to be constantly plugged into the power supply.
Yeah that "trickle charge" deal was mentioned in a bunch of the crap I had to read too. When it's plugged in, supposedly little bits of power are still draining and recharging the whole time and the battery doesn't like it. Scary part is, you'll find some who swear that taking it out under AC power and/or draining it completely down will kill it, but there seemed to be more info stating the opposite.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Apple replaced my year old battery 3 weeks out of warranty. I have been pretty careful with this battery and how I power cycle it, and have had good luck thus far.

I would like one of these which can power cycle 1000 times:
Battery maker Boston-Power fills coffers to expand | Green Tech - CNET News
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➑️
1) i have yet to see a laptop (in recent yrs) that could not run without the battery in it.

2)laptop batteries of today are sad man. even in high end laptops. (12v)

if you look at pretty much anyone the battery warranty is 6 months.

i have 2 laptops at home (left over from testing that didnt work for audio)
the 17" battery was useless with in 3 months and had to removed or the system would not even post. (asus 17)

the other a 15" compal dead battery within 8 months.

yet i have a 4 yr old ECS we just retired (secretary used it for yrs) whos battery still works. (keyboard and touchpad no longer functions)

scott
ADK
Well... it's been a while since I owned my Toshiba T1000. heh

I thought I'd heard of others that wouldn't in the interim. Perhaps not.

With regard to my current laptop, I guess I've been lucky with my battery. Maybe the replacement was actually made to the same spec as the orginal, since I'm heading toward getting about 3 years use out of them, based on the two I've had in the 5 years I've had the machine. Knock on wood.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…