Quantcast
Installing an eSATA cable inside Mac Pro - PCI slot. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Installing an eSATA cable inside Mac Pro - PCI slot.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Installing an eSATA cable inside Mac Pro - PCI slot.

Hi

Just got a nice Mac Pro 8 core.

I ordered this cable NewerTech® eSATA Extender Cable

According to the assembly manual the outer connection part is to be installed in the top PCIe slot, but it seems like there's a free place on top of the graphics card where there's no PCIe connecter on the mother board.
I'm not sure though that the eSATA cable is long enough to reach this free place, but I would hate to loose a PCIe slot on this.

Anyone tried this installation? How did you do it?

:-) Flemming
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Am I really the only gearslut who wants to use these e-SATA ports??
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I too have been looking for an eSATA solution for the MacPro. That looks very interesting.
Old 21st August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just dug up this thread from a search and was wondering if anyone had an answer to the question....? Curious about this....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
I just dug up this thread from a search and was wondering if anyone had an answer to the question....? Curious about this....
Yep - I have the answer!

I installed the card in the empty "space" just above the graphics card - under the three PCI-slots. The cable is not long enough if you follow the installation manuals tidy way of where to put/hide the cable. Instead I have just left the cable sort of "hanging in air" in a direct line from the socket on the motherboard.

Actually you need to remove some element (can't remember what it's called) to get near the socket, but the screw was impossible to loosen, but I managed to install it anyway...

The connection works as it should. Just notice this is NOT hot swab-able! You need to shut down your mac before removing or connecting your drive.

I use it with a G-tech drive that runs all my audio/video. This way I can easily take it with me when I'm working from my MBP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkrog ➡️
Yep - I have the answer!

I installed the card in the empty "space" just above the graphics card - under the three PCI-slots. The cable is not long enough if you follow the installation manuals tidy way of where to put/hide the cable. Instead I have just left the cable sort of "hanging in air" in a direct line from the socket on the motherboard.

Actually you need to remove some element (can't remember what it's called) to get near the socket, but the screw was impossible to loosen, but I managed to install it anyway...

The connection works as it should. Just notice this is NOT hot swab-able! You need to shut down your mac before removing or connecting your drive.

I use it with a G-tech drive that runs all my audio/video. This way I can easily take it with me when I'm working from my MBP.
I did the exact same thing, great little update for my macpro

(2008 Macpro 8 core 2.8 GHz)
Old 23rd August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great!! I think I'll outfit mine with one!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…