Quantcast
How's Leopard these days? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's Leopard these days?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How's Leopard these days?

I was an early adopter of Intel Mac, buying one within 2 months of them coming out, and experienced a lot of problems making all my hardware work with it (particularly a Focusrite Saffire soundcard). In the end it took several months and a couple of Core Audio updates before everything ran smoothly, so this made me suspicious of changing anything further in the OS once I had a stable system.

A friend of mine also had problems with his Liquid Mix last year after upgrading to Leopard, which re-inforced my paranoia.

For these reasons, until now I have remained on OSX 10.4.11.

However, I've just had a failing system drive replaced by Apple, and I was about to get stuck into spending today installing all my apps and plugins, but now I've just seen that they have installed 10.5 on the new drive.

Should I accept this inadvertent freebie? Is Leopard working well these days with audio and peripherals? And if not, what can I do about it? I don't think it's possible to install an older OS over a newer one, tried it once before. But if I'm on Leopard now, I need the discs, in case I have problems and need to re-install.

It would be great to get some other slut's advice and impressions before I waste a day (or two).

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Works great for me...my experience is based largely on Pro Tools systems and standard plugins/instruments. Works day in day out all over town...
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Its a go. I was very afraid of leopard as well. As long as you leave some space on your system drive, you should get very good results. I have noticed that the first 2 leopard computers I was on had system drives that were filled leaving 1GB or less. I did think anything of it except that leopard seemed to get hung up easier then tiger doing menial tasks. On my computer I have not had that issue and I have 10GB available on my HD. I believe digi mentions this somewhere. Anyway... It solid and I am actually starting to really like it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks!

Thankyou for prompt replies, encouraging so far.

Perhaps I should mention what I'm using -

Pro Tools 7
Logic 8
Peak 5
Melodyne 3, and plugin
Apogee, MOTU, or Focusrite Saffire Soundcards
Alphatrack controller
Various plugins, but mainly PSP, Sonalksis, iZotope, IK Multimedia

Thanks again
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundinista ➑️
Thankyou for prompt replies, encouraging so far.

Perhaps I should mention what I'm using -

Pro Tools 7
Logic 8
Peak 5
Melodyne 3, and plugin
Apogee, MOTU, or Focusrite Saffire Soundcards
Alphatrack controller
Various plugins, but mainly PSP, Sonalksis, iZotope, IK Multimedia

Thanks again
I have personally used everything on that list without a problem in Leopard except the Focusrite and Alphatrack (which I don't own).
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u ➑️
I have noticed that the first 2 leopard computers I was on had system drives that were filled leaving 1GB or less.
Wow thats just asking for trouble man, always leave 10% of your hd free, as the system needs this for tasks, vertual memory, etc.

Logic 8, Peak 5, and the PSP plugin's are running fine on my system.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundinista ➑️
It would be great to get some other slut's advice and impressions before I waste a day (or two).
Do it. Leopard has made some VAST improvements. See this thread from several months ago:

Logic 8.0.2 and OS 10.5.3 - WOW!!!

You'll spend a day or two either way installing, authorizing, etc. - might as well make the most of it ;-)

All the best,
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here we go...

Thankyou so much for all this reassurance and encouragement, I need it. Past systemic traumas (always at the worst possible moments, of course) have taught me to be very cautious, perhaps overly so, sometimes.

So, I'm just now settling in for the long haul with a big stack of discs, another of junk food, and some good reading material.

I'll see you on the other side, my friends. Thanks again.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Be sure you're up to date on Melodyne Rewire. I have Melodyne Uno, and after I upgraded to Leopard, both Logic and Cubase would "quit unexpectedly". When I looked at the dump it turns out they were both dying when they hit Melodyne Rewire. Installed the latest version of Melodyne and that fixed the problem in both Logic and Cubase.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Another reassurance from me; Logic 8, PSP, Sonalksis, iZotope and IK Multimedia all work well on Leopard here. Good luck on the installs!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's the most enjoyable OS I've ever used.
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Leopard works fine

I have a Mac Pro 8 Core using 10.5.6 and it's very stable.

I had a few problems this week for the first time because I was switching back and forth from Logic to Final Cut Pro nonstop for hours. Just need to reboot once in a while when using apps like that.

I use Saffire, UAD-2 card (woot!), Logic 8 (latest version), Melodyne plugin and standalone (rock solid), Speakerphone (now very stable after latest update), URS Channel Strip Pro, and lots of other plugins.

Been running 6 months on this computer with very, very few problems. Most stable configuration I've ever had.

I also use an M Mini Box2 for when I need to do anything in ProTools and it's stable, but I rarely use it.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup, leopard good..

Using the alphatrack no problem here (with logic 8 though)
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
just scored a copy of it for free LEGALLY btw

love it

especially spaces
πŸ“ Reply