Gear Head

🎧 10 years
XP won't start after upgreding to P.T 8

Hello to all.

Yesterday i upgraded from protools LE 7.4 to 8,
everything went well and worked fine.
Today i come to open the computer and windows XP does not start
it just get stuck on the Welcome page.
I work with Mbox2 pro,Quad core Intel motherboard,2 gig ram.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKatz ➑️
Hello to all.

Yesterday i upgraded from protools LE 7.4 to 8,
everything went well and worked fine.
Today i come to open the computer and windows XP does not start
it just get stuck on the Welcome page.
I work with Mbox2 pro,Quad core Intel motherboard,2 gig ram.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
In the last 2 days, I've had 2 machines 'hang' forever when loading the user profile. I just finished diagnosing one of them, as a conflict with the HP Wireless Assistant & the ZoneAlarm firewall. I also noticed that randomly, the Windows firewall was switched back on while ZA was loaded. This is never a good thing (2 firewalls, 2 anti virus scanners, etc.). Why these issues popped up all of a sudden, I'm can't say -- malware, virus, who knows? Just glad that I was able to isolate the cause and move on.

Anyway if you use ZoneAlarm, try uninstalling it & re-enabling the Windows firewall to test this on your machine.

UPDATE: I've confirmed that on one computer, this huge delay in loading the profile was definitely caused by ZoneAlarm Basic (latest release ver. 8.0.065). This was on a Compaq HP nx6125 laptop, AMD Turion 64 processor, Windows XP Pro SP3, with all patches as of today. I'm now using COMODO f/w - it's seems excellent so far- fast, in-depth features for tweakfreaks, and also reports all outbound connection attempts as did ZA.

Last edited by KingDaddyO; 24th January 2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: updated results
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hello, sorry to hear about your recent computer problems. I would like to help - I am a network administrator for my day job. However, I cannot guarantee my advice will work and [disclaimer] you should make sure you have backed up all your files before attempting any of these suggestions [/disclaimer]

When you switch the computer on, repeatedly hammer on the F8 key as it is starting up. This will take you into a boot menu instead of going straight to Windows like normal.

From the menu, choose Safe Mode. The computer will show a series of lines of gibberish and then enter Windows with crappy, reduced graphics. You will be prompted to "restore the computer to an earlier time". This often fixes everything. Try restoring, then the computer will restart and hopefully should enter Windows as normal with the problem fixed. You can then try to apply the update again.

If it still does not work, or the Pro Tools update causes the same syptoms as last time, I would recommend to enter Safe Mode again (as described above) but this time choose not to restore to an earlier time. Then click Start > Control Panel > Users. Find your normal username. Delete it, but when prompted, choose to Keep The Files. The files will then be deposited in a folder in your desktop - make sure to copy them somewhere else such as C:\OldFiles before you continue.
Then create a brand new username, set a password on it if you wish, restart the computer, allow it to enter Windows as normal, log in with your new username.

Hope this helps ! :>

-Annikk
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hello annikk,thanks for your replay and also thanks to KingDaddyO.
I already entered the computer in Safe Mode and uninstalled the upgrade and the drivers and everything that might had something to do with the problem but itΒ΄s still wonΒ΄t start.when i start in Safe Mode where do i see the "restore the computer to an earlier time" as i didnΒ΄t see it.
I will try the new user name and hopefully it will work,i guess music making in the box today requires other things then just making music and iΒ΄m trying not to get too frustrated.

Thanks again for the help and i will keep you guys posted as soon as i get out of work.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MarKatz - Try Safe Mode boot again (press F8 repeatedly after the computer starts up, before you see the Windows XP splashscreen) but this time select "Last Known Good Configuration". Your last post indicates that you started in Safe Mode, which is not the same as the 'Last Known Good' option.

Here are links which explain the various boot modes:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use

Using Windows XP Device Driver Rollback Beats BSOD

BTW - It is also possible that you had a Windows update, automatically downloaded & installed at some time after you believed all was well, and that may be the cause of your problem. I didn't think to list this in my previous post, but the more I dwell on it the more sense it makes. Tuesday is when Microsoft releases their weekly updates, and for many folks who don't run their computers 24/7, the updates wouldn't be deployed until the next time they use their machines.

Good Luck.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lets hope they have a Restore point. Most of the time people shut them off to save resources!

Regards,
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi KingDaddyO-

I have tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" but it didn't work,
and funny enough I did had a windows update just after the installation,but i still dont understand why this should effect the xp as it happens so often?
I am on my way to try some things right now,hope to come back with good news.

Thanks
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well,tried few things and nothing works,xp gets stuck again and again in the same place.and i am getting very frustrated,there's got to be something else i can do beside installing windows again!!!???
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I always suggest - particularly on a DAW or video workstation - to always have automatic updates turned off. If you can help it don't even have it connected to the net. I use and swear by autopatcher. Download on one machine and you can put it on any other you've got whether they're on the internet or not. It also alleviates the problem some people have had with the update site falsely stating that their serial no. or version of Windows is invalid.

Link:

AutoPatcher.com Β» Downloads

However, if you do you'll need adequate firewall and antivirus at a minimum. Because if you don't diagnosing and cleaning the computer, as well as keeping it from happening again, is just that much harder.

That said - here's something stupid that can get you into trouble and it isn't even a virus or anything: check to make sure none of the keys are stuck on the keyboard. Same with the mouse.

What I would do: go into safe mode and back up everything critical to a usb stick, external hard drive, or optical disk. Then repair windows. Keep in mind this is *only* if you don't have System Restore on automatic. If you do try going into safe mode and rolling back to as soon as before the PT 8 install as you can.

Links here:

Perform a Repair Installation

Repair Windows XP - How to Perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP - Part 1 of 2

How-to repair Windows XP

"funny enough I did had a windows update just after the installation,but i still dont understand why this should effect the xp as it happens so often?"

Because you should always do a system restore point when updating windows and rebooting. You should reboot *separately* so you aren't scratching your head to see what it is that broke your install. That is to say: Set restore point - use the windows update - reboot. At reboot (provided all is well) set a new restore point - install new software - reboot as needed.

Last edited by dstroyallmnstrs; 24th January 2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: poor organization, need for commas
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So,i did a windows repair and was sure this will work,i might loose some information but at least it will work,but,no
the same problem,windows gets stuck on the logo page.
i am afraid i will have to reinstall windows,i must say that Microsoft are breaking me and if i could (financially) i would move to Mac.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How long is it taking on the logo before you give up?

IMO macs are no better - just different in their ******ation. I've always found it fairly trivial to repair pc's but macs - no.

It is booting into safe mode ok isn't it?

What I would do (and I know this is going to sound like a pain): write down every step you've tried in a post. Take your time and list everything and try not to get frustrated. Let us know whether or not your version of XP is SP2, SP3 or what. IF you have system restore turned on already. Unplug every other peripheral that isn't a mouse or keyboard. Make sure all connections are tight to the computer and all cards in the computer (if you've ever installed anything yourself inside it) are completely seated. Are all drives formatted NTFS. Check the control panel if you can get to it in safe mode and see if there are any exclamation marks or if everything is ok. If you are using SATA drives you may have to reinstall the drivers for any 3rd party SATA controllers (these should be on the disk that came with your motherboard or with the computer if you bought one off the shelf).

You have turned it completely off already (the switch on the back) and let it rest for a bit? Sometimes when hot or run consistently for awhile computers get stupid.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It stays stuck for 2 minuets and then it shuts itself down.
booting into safe mode work good,no problem there.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok,I uninstalled protools 7.4 and followed the instructions to install protools8,
after this was finished and all worked good i updated windows and i was working for 2 hours and all was good,the i turned the computer off and the next day xp didn't start anymore.
I have a legal Xp-home with sp3.
anything else?

Thanks
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Try following the other steps I mentioned. I'll be online another hour or so - I'll keep checking in.

Some system restore links:

Troubleshooting steps for issues when you try to use the System Restore tool in Windows XP

All About System Restore in WinXP

"anything else?"

Yes - everything you've tried since then. Dollars to donuts this is either your comp choking on whatever windows updated or a hardware/driver issue.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sorry,i forgot to say that system restore was turned off as a windows audio
optimization.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
You really should have system restore kept on. I don't care what anyone else says. Even if you don't have it do so automatically you should manually set up a restore point every time you install a single piece of software.

When you go to Safe Mode go to Start>Control Panel> System>Hardware>Device Manager

Double check every piece of hardware and their drivers to see if they're working properly. Also painstakingly write down each thing you've tried since we started giving you advice so that we can start ruling out certain things. If there's any piece of advice you haven't followed yet - try it.

Worst comes to worst you can go to safe mode and create a new partition on one of the drives *again make sure you have backed up anything crucial*. When you do that then when rebooting install a new instance of Windows. *This is a last resort as would be a complete reinstall* You could then then try fixing your old install from the new one but this presents its own problems. Do not do this until every other method is exhausted. Seriously.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well,i am afraid the problem got worse.
I can't get into safe-mode anymore.the computer just keeps on shutting
down.so my question now is should i reinstall windows or should i get someone to do it,pay some money but get it done good?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Have you tried shutting it off by turning the switch off on the back and leaving it for 5- 10 minutes before trying to restart?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yes,tried that too,and also the user thing
but as i said now i cant even get into safe mode and
i am afraid i am making more bad then good.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My guess (which is all I can do since I'm not able to take a look at your pc) is that it's a hardware issue. Power supply comes to mind first.

It *could* be that whatever windows update you used caused it to screw up but there's no way to be 100% certain without my being there I'm afraid.

If you're concerned you're making it worse I suppose there is no other alternative to taking it to a shop or repair person.

I don't know how many computers you have lying around but if you have one that has a version of XP on it *that you know works* you could try putting it into the other computer as a temporary measure to at least rule out whether it is the software on the currently installed drive that is the problem.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm gonna try to reinstall windows myself and if things wont go
good i will take it to the audio shop where i bought it.
Thanks a lot to all of you slutz...
πŸ“ Reply