Quantcast
32 Record Tracks in Protools 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
32 Record Tracks in Protools 8
Old 23rd January 2009

🎧 10 years
32 Record Tracks in Protools 8

Has any one noticed you can record 32 tracks with Protools 8 and M Powered?
I hooked up a Lightbridge it saw all the inputs on the i/o and record armed them.
It works.
Old 23rd January 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➡️
I hooked up a Lightbridge it saw all the inputs on the i/o and record armed them.
It works.
Yup .. they've up'ed the track count in LE (for PT 8).. the just need some
interfaces to catch up to the new limit.

jeff
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Weren't we able to run 32 track in PT 7?? I could be wrong as I never needed that many tracks going at my home studio. But I'm pretty sure we were getting 32 before PT8 and now you get 48.
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Correct. LE always did 32 voices.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➡️
Correct. LE always did 32 voices.
32 voices yes. 32 simultaneous recording inputs, no. Previously limited to 18 i/o (ie a fully expanded 002/003, although lightbridge users had unused inputs), except one version of PT7 which I think they closed the loophole in V7.4.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It works.
haha..i bet it's a accident ! They'll may remove it in a cs update, as they did with one of the 7.x series..
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C ➡️
haha..i bet it's a accident ! They'll may remove it in a cs update, as they did with one of the 7.x series..
Right. There's no mention of it in the What's New doc, so my guess is it just has to be an oversight. So, no more talking about it, or they'll thank us for pointing out the "problem" and "correct" it, like they did last time.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
Right. There's no mention of it in the What's New doc, so my guess is it just has to be an oversight. So, no more talking about it, or they'll thank us for pointing out the "problem" and "correct" it, like they did last time.

Which would further prove my point that they intentionally hamper LE to, in a sense, force you to upgrade to HD. to Digi!
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrazyriffs ➡️
Which would further prove my point that they intentionally hamper LE to, in a sense, force you to upgrade to HD. to Digi!
The bastards!

We should hang steinberg too, for making cubase without all the features of nuendo.

And magix... the jerks are not including features in samplitude that sequoia has! I mean jeez.. it's there already!

And the bastards at cakewalk too.. let's not even get started about home studio vs sonar.

The RME guys are doing it too even! The ff400 lacks the pre-amps the ff800 does...

Man, there's SO many companies out there who make an entry-level product that is intentionally "crippled" so they can devote fewer resources to keep the costs down on it. I'm outraged!!

oh, and btw fuuck
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
all inputs show up, you can assign all inputs to a track, record arm and record blank, however, if you attempt to send audio through anything above input 18, it records a blank audio file... 7.3 is still working with all inputs for me, in fact, just recorded a 24 track show last night..
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➡️
The bastards!

We should hang steinberg too, for making cubase without all the features of nuendo.

And magix... the jerks are not including features in samplitude that sequoia has! I mean jeez.. it's there already!

And the bastards at cakewalk too.. let's not even get started about home studio vs sonar.

The RME guys are doing it too even! The ff400 lacks the pre-amps the ff800 does...

Man, there's SO many companies out there who make an entry-level product that is intentionally "crippled" so they can devote fewer resources to keep the costs down on it. I'm outraged!!

oh, and btw fuuck
LOL heh

I didnt know my Protools LE was crippled until tonight
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➡️
all inputs show up, you can assign all inputs to a track, record arm and record blank, however, if you attempt to send audio through anything above input 18, it records a blank audio file... 7.3 is still working with all inputs for me, in fact, just recorded a 24 track show last night..
Is there a reason for that 18 input limit? I mean besides HD? heh
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➡️
Is there a reason for that 18 input limit? I mean besides HD? heh
NOPE, they COULD let you have as much I/O as you needed but thats what HD is for to DIGI. Hey if the M-Audio boxes or the DIGI stuff had TWO ADAT ports Id be thrilled.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
LE = Limited Edition

get over it...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
NOPE, they COULD let you have as much I/O as you needed but thats what HD is for to DIGI. Hey if the M-Audio boxes or the DIGI stuff had TWO ADAT ports Id be thrilled.

in fact, the lightbridge has 4 adat ports, and supports SMUX. with the spdif inputs, you can have 18 inputs at 96k....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey if the M-Audio boxes or the DIGI stuff had TWO ADAT ports Id be thrilled.
Check out the ProFire 2626. It has 2 ADAT In, 2 ADAT out ports.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➡️
in fact, the lightbridge has 4 adat ports, and supports SMUX. with the spdif inputs, you can have 18 inputs at 96k....
Im not excited about having 32 channels of ADAT and only being able to access 18 channels total. Isnt that box limited just like the DIGI002 to 18 total.
thats why everyone is complaining about the M-Audio Lightbridge being crippled down except for the guys using 7.4

Two adat ports with no limit is what Im talking about . So my ideal interface from them would be:

Two ADAT ports = 16 channels up to 48kHz
8 pairs of analog = 8 more
1 pair for SPDIF = 2
TOTAL = 26 Ins and Outs

IF the lightbridge would give me 32 ins and 32 outs VIA ADAT, that would ROCK!!!
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff ➡️
Check out the ProFire 2626. It has 2 ADAT In, 2 ADAT out ports.

Isnt the total INs and Outs for LE M-Powered still limited to 18 total at one time?

educate me here guys as I have a DIGI002Rack.

"**Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 with downloadable update. Please visit m-audio.com for update availability. 96kHz and 18 x 18 I/O maximum with Pro Tools M-Powered.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

IF the lightbridge would give me 32 ins and 32 outs VIA ADAT, that would ROCK!!!

version 7.3 did this. biggest downside is the version only runs on tiger. i keep a 20gig tiger partition on my macbook pro just for this purpose. works great for live recording.. rock solid for me too.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It works.

I respectfully beg to differ.

PT 8 LE or M-Powered will *not* record 32 simultaneous tracks with the ProFire Lightbridge, or 26 at once with the PF 2626. 18 pass audio, the inputs over that limit don't, and will record blank.

M-Powered in 7.3 and 7.3.1 for OSX 10.4 has the loophole for 32 track input. Just because the inputs on the interface show up and the tracks arm, does not mean it's going to record audio files above the 18 input magic-cripple- number.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I guess that's why reapers's awesome and m-powered is (kind of) cool. Record in reaper, mix (and write these days) in PT. That's my deal for high track counts anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
as far as i understand reaper will let you record as many inputs as you need.
(the other daw software in my sig is limited to 48. )
but for many the limitation is often their computer config.
and finding sound devices with oodles of inputs at a reasonable price.
and look closely at your drives. for recording lots of inputs at once i would suggest 32 mb cache drives. such drives are a no brainer as they are cheap under 100 buks these days.
if one is looking to record with lots of inputs, one should run hard drive tests at various bit depths n sampling rates. and see if ones drives are a limitation.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul666 ➡️
I respectfully beg to differ.

PT 8 LE or M-Powered will *not* record 32 simultaneous tracks with the ProFire Lightbridge, or 26 at once with the PF 2626. 18 pass audio, the inputs over that limit don't, and will record blank.

M-Powered in 7.3 and 7.3.1 for OSX 10.4 has the loophole for 32 track input. Just because the inputs on the interface show up and the tracks arm, does not mean it's going to record audio files above the 18 input magic-cripple- number.
that was pointed out many posts earlier!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd prefer 16 via ADAT and ADC rather than being able to record 32 simultaneously.
Hell, on the HD rig I rarely record more than 20 inputs at a time.
OTOH, when it was mixing time, 32 outs would be nice!
📝 Reply