Quantcast
Using Time Machine to backup system drive.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Time Machine to backup system drive..
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Using Time Machine to backup system drive..

So I just got my first lesson in backups... i always backup my audio drive but never bothered with the Mac HD. Well today, I got a kernel panic about 20 minutes before an 8 day project was supposed to start. Couldn't get it to boot, even off of the install disc, so I had to bring it to apple... anyways, it's running now, and i've decided to quit slacking and update to leopard & pro tools 8.

I got another internal drive to use as a system backup, so that if this happens again, I can just boot off of the other drive and have it be exactly the same. My question is whether or not anyone has had luck with time machine and if it will cause any bugs with my DAW. Someone cautioned me, said it could 'mess things up...'
Is there anything better I can use to clone the drive automatically?
I'm running PT HD
Old 23rd January 2009

🎧 10 years
Time Machine Drives are not bootable but you can restore a system time machine backup to a drive and it will work. Of Course any software that has hard disk protection will be lost (thank-you ilok)
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks... can anyone point me to a program that can make a bootable copy?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
retrospect for mac can I think
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
carbon copy cloner is a great program and is donation ware
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hey, i'm about to invest in a time machine or 2 after a crash made me realize what ****ty backups i keep. anything i should know vis-a-vis pro tools, or just in general? i heard you cant stop it from clogging up your network with automatic backups once an hour, for instance. could that be true?
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
anyone? anyone? bueller?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SuperDuper or Carbon copy cloner are the way to go for making a bootable clone of your system disk.

SuperDuper!

Bombich Software: Carbon Copy Cloner

Good Luck!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CCC is great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't you already do this with "restore" in Disc Utility? Or are we recommending CCC because it is automatic?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➡️
Can't you already do this with "restore" in Disc Utility? Or are we recommending CCC because it is automatic?
it's automatic, and free (though to really use it as a full backup solution it might be worthwhile to pay the $19 for the full version, it has better backup scheduling features) and for sure, if your running a professional studio, it would be an excellent idea to have a second disk close at hand with a perfect copy of your system disk, so you can be up and running quickly if your original system disk dies in the middle of a session. and if you dont have a pro studio, it's probably the cheapest/best diy backup solution if you're on a budget. it definitely works (i use it myself)

disk utility is NOT a back up solution. if your HD has any physical problems (or even fairly bad os problems) you're screwed.

however, back to the topic at hand: time machine. personally i'm interested in time machine because it's networked wirelessly (and cheaper than the other wireless networked backup solutions i looked at). you can take the little time machine box, plug it in in the next room, then hide it behind something and leave it alone. why is this worthwhile? well, what if my studio floods and the computer and data disks are ruined? if the backups are sitting right there next to the computer, they're gone too. also, if your place is robbed, thieves could quite possibly grab your hard drives along with your other stuff. however, if they're in another room, somewhere out of sight, they might not go missing with the rest of your gear.

if i'm sounding paranoid, keep in mind i live in indonesia, where it floods all the time, and my studio has been robbed before as well.

so.... time machine. is anyone using this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CCC because it works great, regardless of the fact that it's donationware

i've had glitches w/ SuperDuper, Backup, Retrospect - i won't even go near TimeMachine, so i can't speak to that.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahwannabe ➡️
hey, i'm about to invest in a time machine or 2

Be careful with that thing!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been using Time Machine for a few months as a backup for my two internal drives. I'm not running it wireless though, I've got a 1TB Seagate external connected via USB 2.0.

I do a lot of large-scale orchestral MIDI work in Digital Performer using Kontakt 2 with a lot of disk streaming of samples (usually 40+ tracks) and Time Machine has never interrupted or impeded production. I don't do much audio mixing with high track counts (nothing over 10 tracks usually), but even there I've never noticed a problem. Not sure how it would behave with PT, but it's invisible to me with DP.

The one thing I have noticed is every once in awhile I'll get an error from Time Machine saying a backup has failed, and I suspect because it's trying to write a project I'm using. Though, it's not consistent and pretty rare, so I cant say for sure that's why it sometimes fails.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
well, luckily i recently bought my first external hard drive... ive never had a computer die on me before... i had my external drive for about two weeks and my macbook's hard drive died!!

luckily i backed it up with time machine, getting all the data back was as difficult as replacing the fried drive, inserting the OSX dvd and clicking restore from time machine...

cubase 4, Max/MSP, NI komplete 5, BFD, reason... all my programs survived as if nothing ever happened... and it was all back up and running about an hour after i started the restoration... compare that with how long it takes to install komplete usually (i ended up spending a whole evening!!). impressed, i am.

glad i am, also.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey ➡️
Be careful with that thing!
you mean, be careful as in you heard it sucks, or be careful as in don't go back in time and accidentally change history or kill your own grandfather or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud ➡️
I've been using Time Machine for a few months as a backup for my two internal drives. I'm not running it wireless though, I've got a 1TB Seagate external connected via USB 2.0.
can you use time machine with a non-apple-time-machine drive? i thought i read you couldn't.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahwannabe ➡️
can you use time machine with a non-apple-time-machine drive? i thought i read you couldn't.
yup, im using a WD drive
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jval ➡️
So I just got my first lesson in backups... i always backup my audio drive but never bothered with the Mac HD. Well today, I got a kernel panic about 20 minutes before an 8 day project was supposed to start. Couldn't get it to boot, even off of the install disc, so I had to bring it to apple... anyways, it's running now, and i've decided to quit slacking and update to leopard & pro tools 8.

I got another internal drive to use as a system backup, so that if this happens again, I can just boot off of the other drive and have it be exactly the same. My question is whether or not anyone has had luck with time machine and if it will cause any bugs with my DAW. Someone cautioned me, said it could 'mess things up...'
Is there anything better I can use to clone the drive automatically?
I'm running PT HD
Hi jval,

I have been using Time Machine to backup all my audio drives, system drive, etc. Ever since Leopard dawned upon us. I used to do it manually with RetroSpect. I am extremely happy with Time Machine and I can tell you that it has save me behind more than once.

Still, when done with a project I make a disk image out of it and save that to a different hard drive or DVD.

Time Machine, I consider to be my "Current Work" backup helper. And that it does well. You need a large HD or preferable even more as TM backs up everything and one disk fills up fast. Especially when backing up the audio drives.

But hard disk space, today, is cheaper than good underwear, so that should not really be a big issue.

I use PT HD 8 and have never experienced any performance losses. And Time Machine backs up every hour here.

The preferences and backup schedule for TM is not really there and your options are very limited. Anyway, you can get a very nice little application called MacPilot. In that you can do MANY things on the Mac that you normally couldn't incl. setting the Time Machine interval (BackUp Schedule).

Mac Pilot
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks 25ghosts, that's what i needed to hear!

that mac pilot link looks quite useful too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
FYI - Not a Mac user here, but if your Seagate drive is a Barracuda 7200.11 series, please note that there are recent production issues related to defective firmware in these drives. This link from the vendor downplays the fallout, but there are many instances where these drives have become 'bricked' due to the earlier firmware releases. I've got a 1.5TB drive and plan to flash my firmware soon. In the meantime I've removed it from service until I can perform the update.

Seagate Knowledge Base
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Once I got my MacPro up and running with Leopard, updates, ProTools, updates, templates, plug-ins, Logic, updates, plug-ins etc etc I put a new 200 Gig drive into one of the spare bays & used Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of my boot drive which I keep off-site. Works great and you can incrementally update the clone if you install more plugs or updates.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I use Disk Utility restore to make an image of my system drive on an external firewire. I thought this was a reasonable option, but someone said this is not a backup solution? I thought it could just restored to a new internal drive if the worst happened.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl ➡️
I use Disk Utility restore to make an image of my system drive on an external firewire. I thought this was a reasonable option, but someone said this is not a backup solution? I thought it could just restored to a new internal drive if the worst happened.
it's not an ideal option in that you'll have to regularly update it manually if you want to back up new data. With something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, I believe it is easier to update your backups and I believe you can even set it to a schedule. Time Machine will do it on the hour, every hour for you, but restoring it will not create an identical copy of your original hard drive. Time Machine was designed mostly to backup your personal files (i.e. music, photos, documents, videos, and some system prefs), not for more complex programs like Audio and Software Instruments.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO ➡️
FYI - Not a Mac user here, but if your Seagate drive is a Barracuda 7200.11 series, please note that there are recent production issues related to defective firmware in these drives. This link from the vendor downplays the fallout, but there are many instances where these drives have become 'bricked' due to the earlier firmware releases. I've got a 1.5TB drive and plan to flash my firmware soon. In the meantime I've removed it from service until I can perform the update.

Seagate Knowledge Base

Call it a strange coincidence, but just one day after gushing the virtues of my rock steady backup system, my external drive went dead. No kidding.
I got an error message that my backup had failed, and only then noticed that my drive was not powered up. It's just dead, and won't power-up. The base (where the power adapter and firewire plugs in) gets warm when connected to power, but the drive is gone.

I do think it was a Barracuda, and I know for sure it was a 7200.

It's been shipped to Seagate for replacement and data recovery which I'm sure won't be cheap.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Call it a strange coincidence, but just one day after gushing the virtues of my rock steady backup system, my external drive went dead. No kidding.
I got an error message that my backup had failed, and only then noticed that my drive was not powered up. It's just dead, and won't power-up. The base (where the power adapter and firewire plugs in) gets warm when connected to power, but the drive is gone.

I do think it was a Barracuda, and I know for sure it was a 7200.

It's been shipped to Seagate for replacement and data recovery which I'm sure won't be cheap.
Yikes - sorry to hear this. Strange coincidence indeed ... maybe if I hadn't mentioned it ?? Oh well - Seagate should take care of you from what I've been reading. And the good news is that data recovery (if required) shouldn't cost you a cent. They are supposed to be covering all associated drive update/repair costs (not sure about shipping). This article discusses the repair options.

Seagate customers swamped by Barracuda drive failures • The Register

Best of luck.
📝 Reply