Digi 003 Factory vs Mackie universal control pro - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 003 Factory vs Mackie universal control pro
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Arrow Digi 003 Factory vs Mackie universal control pro

Hey,
I'm sure you been asked this before, but i want a little bit more insight to the pros and cons of each one. I'm looking into a new audio interface with hands on type of control, I'm into producing my own beats and I like to use various programs such as pro tools, logic, reason, and live, I was debating on whether i should get the digi003 factory or the mackie universal control pro. If someone who has some experience with these products can enlighten me that would be great. What are the pros and cons of either one? If i go with the mackie i was thinking about just getting the 003 rack for my pro tools...what do you guys think? Maybe throw in the Mackie c4 pro as well?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty curious myself.. I've been looking into getting a control surface for PT8 and was disappointed that Digi did not announce anything at NAMM to replace the Command 8. I like the Mackie because I can buy modules as I need to, but how do they work with PT? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, the Digi controllers work best because they use some special protocol or something. I wish I would've just got the 003 Factory instead of the rack lol.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah I'm looking into working with pt8 myself, and i like the factory because it was specifically designed for pt, however i also want to be able to use other programs as well such as logic, reason etc. I know the factory has a midi mode that allows use with 3rd party programs but will the mackie universal control pro be a much better choice for this? My options right now are the factory, or the 003 rack + the universal control pro and maybe the extender or c4 pro if i need it...like i said before anyone with insight on these products please share, i would like to know the pros and cons if possible and any opinions on the matter...thanks for all your help
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 003 is an interface as well as a controller so you're kind of comparing apples to oranges... From a controller standpoint the MCU is a better choice if you are using software other than Pro Tools. But you'll of course need an audio interface to go with it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i was thinking about the 003 rack + the universal pro, the rack being the interface and the mackie as the controller, or i can just go with the factory, but i was just wondering how does the factory act as a controller for other programs other than pro tools
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i was reading up on the mackie sight and it goes on to explain how the mackie integrates with protools... HUI. Ive used this protocol with PT and an SSLAWS and it worked fine but Id like to see someone do a video tutorial or something overview on what you can and cannot do with PT and the Mackie.

Im interested in getting a 003Rack+Factory now that its got 8ins and then using this MCU as my mixer/controler but im worried that ill be limited because it isnt DIGIDESIGN haha

🎧 10 years
Plug-in mapping on the 003 in PT 8 - very cool
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 003 is far superior in about every way. Plugin control, shuttling, better faders, better integration with pt8 than the mackie control integrates with ... anything, larger scribble strip with more functionality etc... etc.. It also has monitor switching, multiple headphone outs, built in preamps (slightly better than mediocre) and various other useful bits.

The 003 also has a comprehensive 'midi mode' that allows you to custom map it to any software you'd like, and given the enhanced functionality it is much nicer to program than the mackie control. It does not come with 'out of the box support' for most apps, but with a bit of work it can be configured to be quite functional.

Is there anything in particular you want to know?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys, sounds pretty much like the 003 stomps on the mackie... worth the extra cash ya guys think?

Im going to cruise down to the local comissioned hell pit aka guitar center later and check it out, i know they got the mackie hooked up... just a matter if it works or not haha
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was trying to read up on various things about the 2, and it said that the mackie doesnt use midi mapping, which i am guessing (correct me if im wrong) means that you can plug it in and get started with various programs IE protools, reason, logic without having to do further programming. Im wondering when you use midi mode on the 003 factory with other programs such as logic, do you just switch the unit to midi mode and get to work or do you have to program it for certain functions that differ from pro tools??? I dont own either yet so i have no idea how either operate or function, so im just trying to get an idea before i make a purchase...

I'm not an expert at all on these things so any help would do, i hope this is not a dumb question but my ultimate goal is to have a good audio interface and control surface that works well with various programs like pro tools, logic, reason, ableton live, etc etc.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
any more insight would be great....thanks
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgone5150 ➑️
I was trying to read up on various things about the 2, and it said that the mackie doesnt use midi mapping, which i am guessing (correct me if im wrong) means that you can plug it in and get started with various programs IE protools, reason, logic without having to do further programming. Im wondering when you use midi mode on the 003 factory with other programs such as logic, do you just switch the unit to midi mode and get to work or do you have to program it for certain functions that differ from pro tools??? I dont own either yet so i have no idea how either operate or function, so im just trying to get an idea before i make a purchase...

I'm not an expert at all on these things so any help would do, i hope this is not a dumb question but my ultimate goal is to have a good audio interface and control surface that works well with various programs like pro tools, logic, reason, ableton live, etc etc.
The mackie control works out of the box with logic, protools etc.. but there are various functions that are missing or convoluted depending on which program you're using.

You have to program the 003 to work with other software. There maybe someone who's already done the work for you though... it's very likely.

If you want a great control surface (with pt8) then get the 003. It's also a decent interface as well.

If you want a 'good' control surface, then get the MCU with another interface. Mackie control does work quite well with logic, but not nearly as good as the 003 works with pt.

Also keep in mind the 003 comes with A LOT of plugins, protools (many are rather good), an iLok and lots of LE software that has cheap upgrade paths, of which you mention reason and live.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So now i guess im leaning more towards the digi003 factory considering that its possibly the best audio interface & control surface for using pt, and if i wanted to use it for other daws such as logic, reason, etc i can download the firmware update from digidesign in order to use the 003 factory in midi mode to use 3rd party programs...

Is that pretty much safe to say then? Has anyone used the 003 factory with other programs other than pt? Any thoughts comments or suggestions for doing this?
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am looking for anyone who has an 003 working with Logic 8/9 - i have one now and in PT it is fantastic and as I/O for logic it is pretty good but i have failed so far to find anyone who is actually using it for control in logic....

If ANYONE knows ANYONE who has done this i would be really grateful to know the ins and outs of it all.
Old 30th March 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Using DIGI003 as a controller with Logic Pro and Reason

I just recently bought a 003 for my project studio. It works great with Pro Tools and I don't think there could be anything better at that level. But I am stomped as to how to use my 003 as a controller for reason and logic. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
πŸ“ Reply