Transfering sessions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transfering sessions
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Transfering sessions

Hi

My usual routine is that I record sessions on a hd3 pt mac system and then transfer the session onto my external drive so that I can take it home to edit on my ptle windows system. Then when Ive finished editing I transfer the session from the external drive back onto the mac's drive at the studio and carry on with the session. Thing is, as the session grows its taking well over an hour to transfer the session from one drive to another so my question is:

How can I transfer only the most recently recorded files onto the external drive so that I dont have to keep transfering the whole session?? Is there software that can do this that is pt friendly??
Old 22nd January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kable ➑️
Hi

My usual routine is that I record sessions on a hd3 pt mac system and then transfer the session onto my external drive so that I can take it home to edit on my ptle windows system. Then when Ive finished editing I transfer the session from the external drive back onto the mac's drive at the studio and carry on with the session. Thing is, as the session grows its taking well over an hour to transfer the session from one drive to another so my question is:

How can I transfer only the most recently recorded files onto the external drive so that I dont have to keep transfering the whole session?? Is there software that can do this that is pt friendly??
You can export the audio your adding as raw time stamped audio, and then just add those into the pre-existing session on the main HD computer. I would think that you can easily export/import audio files without copying the session every time.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Any reason you can't always record on the external drive? That's what I usually do when I know a session is going to move around a lot. Just make periodic backups on another hard drive, which you should be doing anyways.

This way you don't ever have to transfer, just open up the sessions and adjust your IO settings.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sync Pro X

That's what we use for all of our data transfers and backups. It's a lifesaver and exactly what you're looking for.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You can export the audio your adding as raw time stamped audio, and then just add those into the pre-existing session on the main HD computer. I would think that you can easily export/import audio files without copying the session every time.

Thanks Roc Mixwell. I'll look into this this as a way of moving the files.

Any reason you can't always record on the external drive? That's what I usually do when I know a session is going to move around a lot. Just make periodic backups on another hard drive, which you should be doing anyways.
This way you don't ever have to transfer, just open up the sessions and adjust your IO settings.

Thanks macrae11. The reason I cant do it this way is because my external drive is fat32 so that I can transfer session folders between the mac at the studios and my pc at home, pro tools on the mac wont record to a fat32 drive.

Sync Pro X

That's what we use for all of our data transfers and backups. It's a lifesaver and exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks drewharris. Ill have a look thanks. Ive just been looking at 'superduper'!. I just need whatever is the easiest and quickest way to copy over the newly recorded files at the end of each session.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Gotcha. We use Superduper for our daily backup here. I don't know if it would work both ways for you. You could create the backup, but in order to restore back to the Mac drive, I think you would have to wipe the Mac drive, which wouldn't save you any time. Unless you could have a partition on the studios drive with only your one project on it. Then you would just have to change around your drive settings, which might work.

Of course the correct solution is: Get A Mac!

Something else I just thought of. I've seen a SSD drive that didn't need to be traditionally formatted, so it could be used on a mac or a PC. Kind of like a giant thumb drive. I think it was by Seagate, but I'm not sure.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae11 ➑️
Gotcha. We use Superduper for our daily backup here. I don't know if it would work both ways for you. You could create the backup, but in order to restore back to the Mac drive, I think you would have to wipe the Mac drive, which wouldn't save you any time. Unless you could have a partition on the studios drive with only your one project on it. Then you would just have to change around your drive settings, which might work.

Of course the correct solution is: Get A Mac!

Something else I just thought of. I've seen a SSD drive that didn't need to be traditionally formatted, so it could be used on a mac or a PC. Kind of like a giant thumb drive. I think it was by Seagate, but I'm not sure.
Thanks macrae11. Assuming Superduper can do the incremental back-up of the newly recorded files at the end of the session onto the fat32 external drive, Im now wondering if Superduper can do this in reverse and and put the edited session files back onto the mac drive at the start of the next recoring session?? Is this what you meant by "I don't know if it would work both ways for you"??

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yes that's exactly what I meant. I do an incremental backup everyday, which only takes maybe 5-10 mins regardless of how much tracking I did that day. I've never had to restore a backup, so I don't know how that would work. As it would when you would load your edited sessions from home back onto the Mac at the studio.

Again if you're going to try that, I think the best way would be have a separate partition on the studio drive.

When you come back to the studio, is it usually just one transfer, and then start mixing, or is it several days of loading stuff back into the studio. Because I don't think it would be so bad to just have one hour long transfer per session.

🎧 15 years
Just a couple of notes.
I keep all my PT files sorted by date and incrementally back up everyday(manually, no special software), only takes a few minutes.Take them home and transfer every day's work into drives at home. Very quick and easy.
When I first started doing this years ago I had the transfer drive and my home drives formatted for PC/Mac interchangeability (honestly, I don't remember why. seems as though the first drive I bought came that way so I went with it). Anyway, it was a big problem. Files took forever to transfer (like the one hour you mentioned) and I eventually discovered that copies of copies were being stored all over the place taking up huge amounts of space.
Sooooooo,
I reformatted all drives to Mac and all the problems went away and now transfers are lightning fast and reliable.
I realize that you have a PC at home so some of what I experienced doesn't apply but I think it might be worthwhile to dump the Fat32 routine and use a USB thumb drive/memory stick that will not need any special formatting to go between the computers. Worth a try.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae11 ➑️
Yes that's exactly what I meant. I do an incremental backup everyday, which only takes maybe 5-10 mins regardless of how much tracking I did that day. I've never had to restore a backup, so I don't know how that would work. As it would when you would load your edited sessions from home back onto the Mac at the studio.

Again if you're going to try that, I think the best way would be have a separate partition on the studio drive.

When you come back to the studio, is it usually just one transfer, and then start mixing, or is it several days of loading stuff back into the studio. Because I don't think it would be so bad to just have one hour long transfer per session.
Ok thanks. Yeah, when I get back to the studio after say editing bass tracks, Ive been transferring the whole session folder back onto the mac, and now that the session folder is over 50gig its been taking over an hour! This is with a usb2 connection. Ive just been looking at a Firewire 400/800 hardrive (that includes a version of Retrospect) and am wondering if this might speed things up?

Cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
Just a couple of notes.
I keep all my PT files sorted by date and incrementally back up everyday(manually, no special software), only takes a few minutes.Take them home and transfer every day's work into drives at home. Very quick and easy.
When I first started doing this years ago I had the transfer drive and my home drives formatted for PC/Mac interchangeability (honestly, I don't remember why. seems as though the first drive I bought came that way so I went with it). Anyway, it was a big problem. Files took forever to transfer (like the one hour you mentioned) and I eventually discovered that copies of copies were being stored all over the place taking up huge amounts of space.
Sooooooo,
I reformatted all drives to Mac and all the problems went away and now transfers are lightning fast and reliable.
I realize that you have a PC at home so some of what I experienced doesn't apply but I think it might be worthwhile to dump the Fat32 routine and use a USB thumb drive/memory stick that will not need any special formatting to go between the computers. Worth a try.
Thanks rick. So basically after the session you just copy the new audio files plus the pro tools .ptf file??

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks rick. So basically after the session you just copy the new audio files plus the pro tools .ptf file??

Cheers
yes, when you do "sort by date" all the latest files are at the top of the list and easy to grab as a group. I keep a back up of everything on a second internal drive at the studio and use a portable drive to take everything home at the end of each day to add to the clients back up at home. With the price and speed of hard drives these days it is extremely easy and cheap to do.
I actually do the local back up as I close each song session during the day and then I only have to do the "traveling" back up at the end of the day which is usually less than 5 minutes for a normal day and up to 15 minutes if we've been tracking all day. But the tracking is easy 'cause you just pull all the folders over as these are new sessions and no sorting is needed so as I close up the studio the back up is done unattended.
Session files are always incremented as "save as" and I take the latest one home each night along with audio and fade files. I'm still back on PT 6.7 and don't use automatic saves, but I save every time something is changed and increment a number behind the song name.
Bringing edited work back to the studio would work just the same. You only need to bring back the new info and drop it into the work copy. As a rule I never overwrite anything as I've seen some big disasters happen. Just keep adding to the session and keep thorough back ups always with date sorting.
It may sound complicated but it has become part of my routine and allows me to sleep at night knowing I've always got three copies of every session with one being off site.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks rick Im gonna give this method a try.

when you do "sort by date" all the latest files are at the top of the list and easy to grab as a group

Ok, so presumably you would be doing this in the 'audio' folder which is in the main session folder, and then you would do the same with the 'fades' folder? Cool..

Im gonna be at the studio later today so I'll have a little practise with your method and report back! Im very slick on the pc but slower when it comes to the inner workings of files/folders in mac-land but Im looking forward to it.

Thanks again rick thumbsup

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks rick Im gonna give this method a try.

when you do "sort by date" all the latest files are at the top of the list and easy to grab as a group

Ok, so presumably you would be doing this in the 'audio' folder which is in the main session folder, and then you would do the same with the 'fades' folder? Cool..

Im gonna be at the studio later today so I'll have a little practise with your method and report back! Im very slick on the pc but slower when it comes to the inner workings of files/folders in mac-land but Im looking forward to it.

Thanks again rick thumbsup
Yes, you do it three times for each file at the start of the session. Main folder so the latest session file is at the top and the other two folders sort to the top (so you can see immediately if you need to look inside the other folders as the date will show you when they were last changed). And once inside the Audio Files and fades folder.
When I'm taking daily work home a new folder is made on the transfer drive for each session that says "song title 1/22/09" and that folder is dropped into the "song title" folder on the home hard drive adding to the contents as the days go on. The internal back up at work is added to without additional folders by dropping sound files directly into "Audio Files" folder etc. The reason I use extra folders for the home transfer is that it is faster with less sorting and I rarely need to access these deep backups and I will take the time to put a song back into one set of folders if and when I need it. But there have been times the home back up has really saved the day, especially months/years later when the client wants to resurrect a song.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
Yes, you do it three times for each file at the start of the session. Main folder so the latest session file is at the top and the other two folders sort to the top (so you can see immediately if you need to look inside the other folders as the date will show you when they were last changed). And once inside the Audio Files and fades folder.
When I'm taking daily work home a new folder is made on the transfer drive for each session that says "song title 1/22/09" and that folder is dropped into the "song title" folder on the home hard drive adding to the contents as the days go on. The internal back up at work is added to without additional folders by dropping sound files directly into "Audio Files" folder etc. The reason I use extra folders for the home transfer is that it is faster with less sorting and I rarely need to access these deep backups and I will take the time to put a song back into one set of folders if and when I need it. But there have been times the home back up has really saved the day, especially months/years later when the client wants to resurrect a song.
Thanks for making the whole process clear rick, thats now instilled into my head. Sure is gonna save me some time at the start and end of sessions, Ill be able to fit in a couple of more beers when I get home!

Thanks again for your help.
πŸ“ Reply