Quantcast
any rumors about new digidesign hd hardware? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
any rumors about new digidesign hd hardware?
Old 21st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
any rumors about new digidesign hd hardware?

i'm waiting for buying new digidesign hd system for my studio because i think the current HD accel pcie card are very very obsolete!

There's anyone knows something about new hd card ?
Old 21st January 2009
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by progtox ➑️
i'm waiting for buying new digidesign hd system for my studio because i think the current HD accel pcie card are very very obsolete!

Couple dealers around here are getting rid of ex-demo HD hardware at the moment... Jigsaw being the prominent one... hmmmm...
Old 21st January 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:

obsolete? Not really - still doing the job !!
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
they have already moved to PCIe with HD and the core card was somewhat upgraded at the same time so i wouldnt hold my breath for new cards just yet. but im sure they have been planning something. i suspect new i/o boxes probably sometime this year but no one knows exactly what or when.

if you need HD now then just buy it, theres no point in waiting for the next thing because you will always be waiting for ever. perhaps stage your i/o purchase, but if your need the core system then there should be no question, if your unsure then maybe HD isnt the right thing for you at this stage.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Even without any kind of inside information, i believe it's not hard to see that the successor of Pro Tools HD will come out sometime this year. HD has been on the market for what...7 years i believe?? Even Accel is 4 or 5 years old, right?
Also, digidesign even sent out their HD customers questionnaire/called HD users the same way they did with MIX users before introducing HD in 2001/2002.

The question is...will it still be a TDM system or will they move away from this technology. Maybe they'll find a way to run RTAS code on a new kind of DSP? That would be great - if it was ANY kind of RTAS code...

You still can hope, can't ya?
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
infact...my post is because i could survive without HD rig for another year

i'd like to know if there was in the air...rumors about new system because if i buy today an hd rig and tomorrow digidesign came out with the new hd system....you know...i've lost 3000 € in a day
Old 22nd January 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:

the only rumors i've heard is that there isn't any new HD hardware on
the near horizon...

jeff
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➑️
the near horizon...

jeff
Same here. But who knows. If they announced HD 2.0 tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised.

If there are any weak links in my recording setup it's certainly NOT the Digi hardware. With an 8-core and 2 Accel cards I have trouble maxing out the system, even intentionally.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My digi rep told me no new hardware in '09. Since I just bought my HD rig I hope he is right.
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
Same here. But who knows. If they announced HD 2.0 tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised.

If there are any weak links in my recording setup it's certainly NOT the Digi hardware. With an 8-core and 2 Accel cards I have trouble maxing out the system, even intentionally.
the converters and xmon could sure use a refresh IMHO.
Old 23rd January 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:

What makes it obsolete?
- It was updated about 3 years ago and has almost double the DSP of the PCI-X Core.
- It works with current computers
- It works with the most current version of Protools software.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
infact...my post is because i could survive without HD rig for another year

i'd like to know if there was in the air...rumors about new system because if i buy today an hd rig and tomorrow digidesign came out with the new hd system....you know...i've lost 3000 € in a day
Digidesign always gives updates when new systems come out. I bought Protools III PCI - 3 months later PT 24 came out and I got a free update on my hardware.
An even older systems updates are sold. You can still trade in Mix or even you old Nubus system. Try trading in your old Mac Plus on a Intel at the Apple Store

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/news/d...n_08_43705.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➑️
the near horizon...

jeff
That is indeed the rumor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
something's gotta come soon. alot of new plugs have been releagted to rtas status only just because the current tdm cards cant handle them.

even digi's own AIR plugs and newer waves maserati and a sonnox plug as well. sure there r a few more.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
mmm...interesting observation
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
is 64bit really here? Sonar been 64bit for a long time. Hasnt affected Digi's plans- whatever they r

me personally. I couldnt trust a clients $50k + budget to some buggy steinberg or logic stuff thru, not ready for primetime, interfaces.

For one of my HD rigs I have 32 i/o of excellent Lynx converters for under $6k. Far cry from $20k mentioned
GS Community Manager

indeed, surely Digi would wait for OSX 10.6 now... Snow Leopard is a few months away at best, and I would imagine that any new hardware/software would need to take full advantage of its goodness...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The rumors about no new HD hardware for '09 may very well be correct, but just to play devil's advocate, that doesn't preclude LE or something in between LE and HD (or above HD?) from springing up. LE with ADC, options for expandable / modular interfaces, wouldn't that put a serious crunch into the HD marketshare? We really can move away from dedicated DSP boards at this point, as long as the great features of HD are kept, right?

I have tried LE 8 with my newly purchased MBOX micro, just to test the waters after having left Digi and PT 6, and I like what I see. In fact, I'm using it now instead of Logic for mixing. The only thing keeping me from going in whole hog is the fact that I don't see the value of the HD platform since my pockets are not as deep as others, and emotionally, I just can't get over the fact that Digi has crippled LE, whether intentionally or not, when it really should have ADC and we can just move onto native systems that have much more DSP than the antiquated proprietary cards, but of course we have been through this argument ad nauseam now.

I want native, and I want at least 8 channels of AES I/O. I could even do without ADC as I could work around that without too much pain. That's all I really want.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
LE = Limited Edition.

sheesh folks, be happy you get a taste for a fraction of the price...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm... I wonder if Digi sold digital mixer components that you could upgrade every 5 years or so if people would trade up?

Oh wait... they do. heh
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Not just obsolete... but very, very obsolete. Wow!
So every day I'm working on an obsolete HD 6? Woe is me.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
I feel really bad for you Tony , really I do. whose jealous, not meheh

Still waiting on DVD 2 here, whens it droppin?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
Sorry Tony, but for me it's not normal to work with PT LE version on mac pro and see that the processing power is egual to an HD4

for me...an HD6 for my studio...it's a little bit expensive!

compare...
3000€ for LE with complete production toolkit....an HD4 both in mac pro
for have the same power...but more stability in hd and more i/o...
i think...one intel processor today is "tecnology"...digidesing dsp...what are?? for me...are obsolete! 6/8 years in tecnology are a ocean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure how you can say the PTHD PCIe is obsolete. It's the current model. That's like saying I just bought a brand new 2009 car and it's obsolete.

Sure it's been around for awhile but if it's the current production model or standard it's not obsolete.

I'm more interested in them getting the Windows 64 bit stuff working than having them come out with new hardware.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is they will focus on the software side for the next year.

When it comes to gear, with the exception of microphones, I don't buy gear unless it's been on the market at least 5 years and it's still in current production. PTHD fits that. No chasing the gear of the month, no being a living beta tester for a manufacture. No worry about what's coming out next week.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➑️
LE = Limited Edition.

Yeah, we should be happy with whatever they give us. It's not like theres any alternatives with unlimited track counts, ADC, etc
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
Yeah, we should be happy with whatever they give us. It's not like theres any alternatives with unlimited track counts, ADC, etc
my point is, you had a choice to by the LE version, and you did. you dont order a cheese burger only and expect to get the full meal, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry Tony, but for me it's not normal to work with PT LE version on mac pro and see that the processing power is equal to an HD4

compare...
3000€ for LE with complete production toolkit....an HD4 both in mac pro
for have the same power...but more stability in hd and more i/o...
i think...one intel processor today is "technology"...digidesign dsp...what are?? for me...are obsolete! 6/8 years in technology are a ocean
I think I understand what you were trying to say, but obsolete is not the correct word.
Long in the tooth, maybe. But not obsolete.

Remember This...
Whatever power you have with an LE system (host based), I still have the same power and more on my HD 6.
I still have all the RTAS you have, but I have 6 cards to back up that RTAS power.

So is having more power obsolete? I don't think so.

Whatever your fastest mac or pc is, you always have the additional power in the HD cards.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➑️
LE = Limited Edition.

Ah yes, then let them eat cake.

The world has changed since the Digi gods were kind enough to allow mere mortals to use a crippled version of PT back in what, 1998? It had a 24-track limitation and really crappy DigiRack II plugins back then. PT8 opens it up to a whole new demographic who demand competitive products and features. Digi wants that additional market share, don't you think?

I bet it will soon be renamed "Protools Native", not "LE".

As far as HD Accel, it works, but it's such a poor cost/performance ratio compared to what's available in processing power today, that I think more and more people are waiting to see what the next generation of HD will look like. I would consider upgrading to HD if HD could run all my VIs and modelling plugins (GTR, Amplitube2, Guitar Rig3, etc) - that's where the CPU power gets eaten up very quickly.

Alternatively, if the price of the current generation of 5-year-old design HD cards dropped to about 1/2 or 1/3 of what it sells for now, then a lot more "LE" users might consider the upgrade.

A 5-year-old design, and 5-year-old chips in computer hardware is antiquity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is really interesting to me.
In the last few weeks before NAMM I've had 3 friends buy Pro Tools systems.
The first friend (thinking HD was too expensive) decided to get a PT LE 003 complete from Sweetwater and a new Mac Intel.
He thought he would save money and get the LE version and put the balance of the cash in a new mic.

My other two friends bought used HD 1's and a used PPC dual 2.7 macs (one bought a quad core).
Now 3 weeks later the LE guy has run out of power (and patience), he is now selling his complete LE system and going to HD.
Why? Because for the "bang for the buck right", now a used HD rig goes a lot further than you think.
You can still run the RTAS plugins, but have all the benefits of HD.

Be it old and antiquated or obelete , it still puts you in a better position both financially and sonically than the LE.

YMMV

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry Tony, but for me it's not normal to work with PT LE version on mac pro and see that the processing power is egual to an HD4

n
errr nope.... Cus I've got your Macpro power AND the HD4.....
πŸ“ Reply