Quantcast
any rumors about new digidesign hd hardware? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
any rumors about new digidesign hd hardware?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➡️
This is really interesting to me.
In the last few weeks before NAMM I've had 3 friends buy Pro Tools systems.
The first friend (thinking HD was too expensive) decided to get a PT LE 003 complete from Sweetwater and a new Mac Intel.
He thought he would save money and get the LE version and put the balance of the cash in a new mic.

My other two friends bought used HD 1's and a used PPC dual 2.7 macs (one bought a quad core).
Now 3 weeks later the LE guy has run out of power (and patience), he is now selling his complete LE system and going to HD.
Why? Because for the "bang for the buck right", now a used HD rig goes a lot further than you think.
You can still run the RTAS plugins, but have all the benefits of HD.

Be it old and antiquated or obelete , it still puts you in a better position both financially and sonically than the LE.

YMMV
This is different Tony...

i think as you that have an HD system with the host power...is better...but i must take care of my finances!
Now...your friends one qith LE and other two with hd system and a g5 2,7... it's not paragonable

1. g5 2,7 it's better or the same of actual imac!... it's not an hd system compared to mac pro 8core

2. the hd system have the dsp + host g5!

It's clear that the hd system win...and i think as you that buy an hd used system now is a very intelligent think to do

but...i'm referring to "new"
In europe (i'm italian) the price of hd1 system pcie + 96 i/o is 7300€
I must add the price for a mac pro or g5 quad...so...i think...min 1500-2000€

I'll arrive in one moment at 10.000 € and i have only an HD1...and i know how faster the hd1 dsp go at 100%

so...i think that NOW in 2009 7600€ for an HD1 system is CRAZY!
I'm saying "obsolete"....because it's not normal that for 1500€ UAD sell his dsp power card...that have much more power of an HD accel...IT'S NOT NORMAL!!

Uad have made the "quad" uad2 card...for 1500€ i repeat...
If i could have an HD1 for 1500€ i'll buyed yet!

the price is the problem...that price for that 5 years old system!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
errr nope.... Cus I've got your Macpro power AND the HD4.....
i don't have your money...
i'm very sorry for me!
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think people have to face the fact that PTHD is part of the admission price of being a pro studio. I know there are plenty of pro people that can and do use PTLE. I know there are plenty of people that use other systems. IMHO it's pretty hard to get in to this game with out the HD rig.

I just started putting my new HD rig together. For my needs I realized I needed at least a HD2 Accell minimum. Once my rig is done I wont use a studio that has any less than that. I just don't feel it will have the minimum of my needs and wants. That would be the minimum "professional" standard for an HD rig.

I don't worry about Digi coming out with new hardware in the next year or two. I figure my system will have a minimum shelf life of two to three years. I can live with that. It's just the cost of doing business.
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➡️
indeed, surely Digi would wait for OSX 10.6 now... Snow Leopard is a few months away at best, and I would imagine that any new hardware/software would need to take full advantage of its goodness...
Is Snow Leopard going to support PowerPC? I heard it wasn't ... which would
suck.

jeff
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➡️
Is Snow Leopard going to support PowerPC? I heard it wasn't ... which would
suck.

jeff
They're removing the PPC layer completely.

I'm personally quite happy about it. I don't want OS X turning into the backward compatibility bloat that Windows has become.

People need to buy things for what they ARE, not what they MIGHT BECOME. If your PPC works great with leopard/tiger, then you should be happy. If it doesn't then you need to move on to something else, and do your research better next time.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➡️
This is really interesting to me.
In the last few weeks before NAMM I've had 3 friends buy Pro Tools systems.
The first friend (thinking HD was too expensive) decided to get a PT LE 003 complete from Sweetwater and a new Mac Intel.
He thought he would save money and get the LE version and put the balance of the cash in a new mic.

My other two friends bought used HD 1's and a used PPC dual 2.7 macs (one bought a quad core).
Now 3 weeks later the LE guy has run out of power (and patience), he is now selling his complete LE system and going to HD.
Why? Because for the "bang for the buck right", now a used HD rig goes a lot further than you think.
You can still run the RTAS plugins, but have all the benefits of HD.

Be it old and antiquated or obelete , it still puts you in a better position both financially and sonically than the LE.

YMMV
Tony..great point but you can also set a short count down on your friends with the HD1 systems. Lets be real, how long would an HD1 system last in busy professional studio? heh HD1 is not much power and I'm sure they will want to add cards soon or go ACCEL. But that would depend on what they need their system to do. Not much different from the one that bought the LE system. One has to evaluate "what are my needs" and make the correct selection. You cant blame the DAW for making the wrong evaluation.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by progtox ➡️
i don't have your money...
i'm very sorry for me!
I am too, I'll take you on holiday.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➡️
They're removing the PPC layer completely.

I'm personally quite happy about it. I don't want OS X turning into the backward compatibility bloat that Windows has become.

People need to buy things for what they ARE, not what they MIGHT BECOME. If your PPC works great with leopard/tiger, then you should be happy. If it doesn't then you need to move on to something else, and do your research better next time.

The REALLY bad side to this though is that when using PTHD, PPC is MUCH more stable than Intel (and the Intel stuff is still pretty stable).

I've had ZERO crashes with PPC HD rig, but four or five a year with the Intel rigs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
The REALLY bad side to this though is that when using PTHD, PPC is MUCH more stable than Intel (and the Intel stuff is still pretty stable).

I've had ZERO crashes with PPC HD rig, but four or five a year with the Intel rigs.
I'm sorry, but how is this BAD?

If it's more stable, then why are you trying to change it in the first place?
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i've spoken with my dealer and he said me that at musikmesse 2009 in march digidesign will present the new HD hardware...

i hope will be true!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There is nothing obsolete about Pro Tools|HD. It provides the lowest latency, most stability, scalability and flexibility of any Pro Tools system to date. And with Pro Tools 8, HD takes on a whole new level of capability with more creative tools than ever before right out of the box. Factor in the enhancements to ICON and the new Video Satellite and Satellite Link capabilities, it's pretty obvious that we are investing in HD, not obsoleting it.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sure, but i've said if digidesign came out in 2-3 months with new hd card and a new hd1 system it's like actual hd2 system (for example) at the same price of actual hd1...for me...IT'S BETTER!

i repeat my own words...actual digidesign hd system is, for me, tecnologically old...for the price digidesign ask
If hd1 was about 1500€...for me wasn't old system! but...7000€ for new pcie hd1 it's INCREDIBLE TO BELIEVE with actual dsp power
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AMEN BRO HD1 ALONE IS REALLY A MESS

you need at least a hd3+ too have fun

and in the pricerange of hd4 or 5 you can go easely with a fairlight hd1 (cristal core lol)

which is really a future product.

Quote:
I'll arrive in one moment at 10.000 € and i have only an HD1...and i know how faster the hd1 dsp go at 100%

so...i think that NOW in 2009 7600€ for an HD1 system is CRAZY!
I'm saying "obsolete"....because it's not normal that for 1500€ UAD sell his dsp power card...that have much more power of an HD accel...IT'S NOT NORMAL!!

Uad have made the "quad" uad2 card...for 1500€ i repeat...
If i could have an HD1 for 1500€ i'll buyed yet!

the price is the problem...that price for that 5 years old system!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm thinking of getting a used HD2 Accel this week. I see process cards are getting really cheap these days and would be a good way to get more power.

Anyone know what plugins need the accel chips specifically?
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any new about this ?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
Any new about this ?
nope.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i've spoken with my dealer and he said me that at musikmesse 2009 in march digidesign will present the new HD hardware...

i hope will be true!
Either your dealer is full of it, or Max from Digi is, as Max has stated that HD is not going anywhere this year (like...not going away).

TH
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I sold both my HD2 system never looking back obsolete or not its still a cool system but its not a requirement. I make a living and all i have from DIGI is the micro just to transfer files. Times are changing but not on DIGI clock.
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
Either your dealer is full of it, or Max from Digi is, as Max has stated that HD is not going anywhere this year (like...not going away).

TH
When you remember for the hd introduction 8 years ago
digi reps were lying to your face and selling 888s like mad
even ONE WEEK before they introduced HD.

So far to any major electronic company statments.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
When you remember for the hd introduction 8 years ago
digi reps were lying to your face and selling 888s like mad
even ONE WEEK before they introduced HD.

So far to any major electronic company statments.
Fair enough. but anything else is commercial suicide.

Still, until there's any official announcement, the rumours remain as they have been for the past 8 years - rumours.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It would be nice with some new hardware from Digidesign so I can upgrade from my Mbox2Poop.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️

TH
Nobody seems to know, really. And those who do are covered under NDA.
As far as my impressions are - from what Max Gutnik wrote, the HD line will continue to be manufactured and sold, however that does not mean that digidesign/AVID will not introduce a new high-end system this year.

As the plot thickens, there seems to be new hardware coming in May this year, what it is exactly remains unknown so far.

When i think of the Fairlight systems and studios running ICON systems, i could imagine that digidesign will introduce a very powerful new system, maybe even one that is incompatible with current TDM plug-ins, but at a quite high price point - let's think 30,000-40,000 (just a shot in the dark).

There ist still a market for studios that require low latency, scalable and reliable power for postpro and film music production. They still have significant budgets and most major film mixing studios are running multiple Pro Tools HD rigs now.

Toby
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️

Heheheh. This song bring back memories from the 80's.
The three duds at 2.37 looks alot like the duds from Full Force.
Old 12th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic ➡️

As the plot thickens, there seems to be new hardware coming in May this year, what it is exactly remains unknows so far.
The avid guy I was talking to this week
felt really nervous not to say anything about the system...

so I think too that we might soon see a surprise.
Old 18th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

there is not an HD surprise in the near future,people have to get used to PT HD being what it is....

mark this on your calendar...FWIW !!!!!!!!!!
Quote:

there are huge discounts on HD and converters now (from Digi-reps)... heh

what does this tell us?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️

what does this tell us?
not a dam thing...get used to it...there is nothing wrong with the current system...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️

what does this tell us?
Well something... strange fact over here in France is that the "importer" of digidesign here have no 192i/o or 96i/o in stock for stand-alone sale. Or they stock up that for the bundles that they are selling on the moment (that are finished this week btw...) or there is something happening.
A buddy of me bought a hd3 with 192I/O bundle in December and had to wait till last saterday to get a 96i/o (in for loan till his 192i/o will "arrive") of the reseller after long calls to make the system work and record some tracks...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco ➡️
not a dam thing...get used to it...there is nothing wrong with the current system...
I don´t get used to anything dude.
HD is a good system which I´m using daily.

But it´s 8 years old and there´s lots of space
for enhancement.
📝 Reply