20" apple flat screen - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
20" apple flat screen
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
20" apple flat screen

Hey all

Is anyone using the new 20" apple screen? is it worth the extra 100% cash over the 17". I find it hard to justify the expense...please help me to!!!

I'm currently using a humungous beige backed Formac 19/500, will the 17" give me a larger view than the one I've got..

the new Formac 20" is cheaper but those great big holes put me off...

thanks
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Renie.

Good to see you again after quite a while! Hope you're doing well.

I've got a similar problem. I'm using a quite bulky 21" traditional (CRT) monitor which iwouldn't mind eventually getting rid of in favor of a flat panel. Because it is between my audio monitors, i have a feeling that removing the huge mass might be ultimately beneficial to listening accuracy.

My question is based on the fact that my screen is about 4+ feet from my eyes, so I don't think a 17" monitor would be big enough to allow me to see small details. But i am told that the flat panel images are sharper and easier to read than the old CRTs. So would images on a 20" flat screen be as easy or easier to decipher from a distance than my current 21" one?
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wotcha Littledog

Yes good point about the mass between the speakers.

The 20" screen would be a lot clearer and a bigger viewing space than your 21"..I'm pretty sure. Hopefully someone 'in the know' will chip in.

I'm pretty excited about having the widescreen for PT6.

Are you onto PT6 yet littledog?
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Renie, I just went through the process of looking for dual monitors for our PT rig. I found the NEC 18" monitors (vga and dvi) for 525.00 each....there are a lot of good deals other than the Apple out there. FWIW
craig
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
FWIW
craig
A lot, Craig. Ta.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Renie,
I've got the 22" Apple display and my 43 year old eyes love it. Clients always wow over it too... no matter what new mic or pre I have the display always gets the "wow". The 23" is available now but costs about 25% more (I think). I replaced a 25" Sony (the size of a small refridgerator) with this display and the improvement was well worth it in terms of my eyes and improved stereo image.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Don't forget that tft screens have a greater viewable area than a crt, as a rule of thumb 2" more.

So 15" TFT = 17" crt
17=19
20=22

etc.etc

So the 20" Apple will actually typically have 1" over a 21" CRT, plus it's much, much nicer to look at (I'm really sensitive to the flicker), less power consumption etc. etc.

Cheers

Pete
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am rapidly becoming convinced by you folks!

Anyway, Renie, I am not even considering Pro Tools 6 right now because I'm not even on OS X yet. do you find a lot of compelling reasons to upgrade? I would definitely be interested in your take on the advantages of PT 6 over 5.3, or even OSX over OS9

My problem is I've been booked solid for a while, with no let-up in sight. And every time I have ever done a major operating system upgrade OR a integer PT version upgrade, I end up tearing my hair out for weeks trying to get everything working. To do both at once sounds like my worst nightmare. If there's any downtime involved my clients will murder me. (They're already lined up screaming for their product...) Plus, I'm still paying off my HD192 upgrade - and the thought of the cost of all the software upgrades I'd have to do is pretty frightening.

No, I think that this luddite will stay on OS9/PT5.3 until dragged forcibly kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
...every time I have ever done a major operating system upgrade ...I end up tearing my hair out for weeks trying to get everything working. To do both at once sounds like my worst nightmare. ...and the thought of the cost of all the software upgrades I'd have to do is pretty frightening.
ditto... in big bold caps and mega font size (damn my lousy html skills)

Also, I'm cheap and lazy... heh
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are reports on the DUC about the cinema display being buggy with PT6,
maybe it's the old cinema display (22").

Also I'm thinking about getting two 17"'s instead of the 20"..

btw Littledog, hopefully the OSX forum has clarified your position!!!!
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Can you fit edit and mix windows on the 20" cinema?
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can fit a page-sized window (9"x11") of both edit and mix (pro tools) but often, in an more complicated session, I'll just view the most necessary elements of the 'mix' window in the 'edit' window and expand that to the full screen.

When I got my 733mghz G4, it wouldn't allow 2 displays without upgrading my video card or sacrificing a pci slot so in my case the 22" display has been a good solution. With falling monitor prices and more flexible video card/pci capabilities a pair of smaller monitors may be a better choice for you.

The main reason I got the 22" is for my eyesight.
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G

The main reason I got the 22" is for my eyesight.
Yes I can see you've got tiny eyes, especially compared to your ears.
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
well.... exactly! heh
πŸ“ Reply