Quantcast
Anyone tried Nebula? - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone tried Nebula?
Old 9th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
is it even worth using the free ones? this seems like a genius idea.. really want to see what this thing can really do.. but a little short on cash.. should i just wait? its seems you cant tweat anything in the free one right? are the patchs that good?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
How do you organize your vst's?

Im using cubase 4 and i used to try and get all my vst in folders like. eq's, comps, samplers, synths etc.. but i noticed some vsts like waves seem to force their own folder..

well anyway.. how do you organize? by company or type?

any tracks on how to organize the waves folder? its just so big and i hate having to dig through 3 stacks of folders..

any other tips suggestions would be cool too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the run ➑️
does anyone have a link to this blog?

cheers
Yes.

Music: Lethargy and You

And here`s the link for the freeones also on the Ultimate Metal Forum.

Nebula 3 Free programs! - Ultimate Metal Forum

The free ones are worth trying. They're free afterall and they sound good!
A good taste for more....

Have fun, make music.

Michael
Old 10th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 ➑️
So what is the difference between the free one and the commercial one

I am puzzled

the free one can't load commercial libraries but only free libraries (provided by acustica and 3rd party developers).
Here a comparison chart:
http://www.acusticaudio.net/uploads/...on%20Chart.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roderick ➑️
When is Mac AU gonna be out?
I don't have a timeframe but I'm sorting/preparing the code for AU and server version at the same time. AU needs that gui (interface) and dsp (processing) are indipendant objects, which is more or less what I need for the server version.
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried downloading the free Nebula 3 and some of the libraries and free downloads.

I must be missing something because the stuff I downloaded didn't wow me at all - limited sections of EQs with not much control, some modulation FX which all sounded no better than Cubase's internal FX, and a couple of channel strip type emulations again with limited controls and certainly not up to UAD standards etc.

And I've got about 2.5 GBs of stuff on my HD now for about 18 different fx only, and the API emulation only comes in one filter at a time, i.e. mid-high shelf only covers a limited frequency range and you have to load another instance of the plugin to get the low pass etc.

I'm thinking that the paid up commercial version seems to have more features, definately seems to have more skins or GUIs than the washed out grey thing which looks like a plugin interface from windows 95.

I'm sure there are many good things to enjoy about this software, but I haven't witnessed too many so far. The reverbs didn't match up to the Bricasti Impulses or stock Steinberg impulses in Cubase 5's built in convolution reverb. I'm thinking that you need to pay up and then pay up some more for the commercial plugins to get the best from Nebula, the free offerings I've experienced so far are pretty much the quality you'd expect from freeware.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM ➑️
I'm thinking that you need to pay up and then pay up some more for the commercial plugins to get the best from Nebula,
Sort of, yes. That in mind I'm still using nebula 2 and can (still) use 3. party developers samplings. I use it for mastering and don't slap much when mixing (slow pc) but I wouldn't mind upgrading to get a better sound with less need of power.

What you should understand about demo is usually about sound quality. We're used to other developers time or instance limit so these demo's should be understood in a different way. The demo presets on nebula (at least some time ago) are usually either old or plain impulse but there some should add color (sometimes its better try them in a mix as a whole rather than a single track-resluts show better with the big picture). The actual library contains very valuable stuff.

In nebula, an eq is usually 1 knob of the hardware. So if you need the second knob to work you'll need to open another instance (though there are a few 3 band eq's in nebula).

I don't use nebula's reverb's much but there isn't an M7 currently that I know of. Keep in mind this is more of an opportunity than weakness as someone is going to make money when he releases that hardware
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I tried downloading the free Nebula 3 and some of the libraries and free downloads.

I must be missing something because the stuff I downloaded didn't wow me at all - limited sections of EQs with not much control, some modulation FX which all sounded no better than Cubase's internal FX, and a couple of channel strip type emulations again with limited controls and certainly not up to UAD standards etc.

And I've got about 2.5 GBs of stuff on my HD now for about 18 different fx only, and the API emulation only comes in one filter at a time, i.e. mid-high shelf only covers a limited frequency range and you have to load another instance of the plugin to get the low pass etc.

I'm thinking that the paid up commercial version seems to have more features, definately seems to have more skins or GUIs than the washed out grey thing which looks like a plugin interface from windows 95.

I'm sure there are many good things to enjoy about this software, but I haven't witnessed too many so far. The reverbs didn't match up to the Bricasti Impulses or stock Steinberg impulses in Cubase 5's built in convolution reverb. I'm thinking that you need to pay up and then pay up some more for the commercial plugins to get the best from Nebula, the free offerings I've experienced so far are pretty much the quality you'd expect from freeware.
I really had to laugh while reading this post, because I know EXACTLY how that feels! Actually, when I first tried Nebula I got so irritated that I de-installed it immediately. Until I heard of the Doc Fear EQ (D.W. Fearn VT-4). Then I gave this Plug a second chance - and got nebularized! In my recent mixes it's like 50% Nebula even if I have to decide while mixing and freeze tracks.

I went immediately to Nebula3 Pro, but any commercial version should do it. The thing is: Forget about the free librarys from the Acusticaudio website! If you want the real experience, you have to get the hot stuff. For most of it, you would need the commercial version, but you can get a few ideas with this latest free release from Alex B:

AlexB Nebula Libraries - AlexB Demo

If you get the commercial version, IMMEDIATELY go to nebula-programs, the filesharing website for Nebula, get the BAE1073 (EQ and Pres) and the Doc Fear. There is also an API Pre and a 550b for free. Check these out!
If you are willing to spend some more cash, I HIGHLY recommend to get the Alex B Modern Black Console (faithfully sampled API 1608 Console!), Modern Black Eq (API 5500, like the real thing!) and the R2R-Tape-Library from Michael Angel.
One of the most beautiful things with Nebula is the way of coloring tracks. I'm working ITB but do not sound ITB anymore mainly because of this. After tracking I prepare all my tracks with Console Input, Preamp and Tape Programs and I get wonderful rich sounding tracks to start with. The EQs are much better than anything else ITB that I have tried.

BUT - you will usually get one band per instance, that's right. BAE1073 and Doc Fear commercial (6.99 Euro...) have combined presets with fixed bands. Anyway, if you hear the advantages of this real analog flavor, probably you are willing to use these EQs anyway.
When I start Eqing a track, I take a Digital Eq first (Sonnox) for HighPass, LowPass and surgical work. I also use the Sonnox for cuts. But when it comes to boosting and adding Mojo, I strictly use Nebula! You don't need many bands for a big effect, just the right one. If your vocals need air, take Doc fear at 12 khz. If you do that once you will get it, I'm sure.

Compared to other Plugs working with Nebula is a pain in the ass! It's true! You will have to make compromises in your workflow. Maybe you are not willing to to that. But if you get it, you get it. And then you are lost in the Nebula! Try the stuff I mentioned. It is the best analog-sounding Plug-In that actually exists. Period.

Regards,

Fishmac
Old 11th October 2009 | Show parent
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is great information. I was suspecting that I was somehow missing the point and missing the good stuff to really showcase the Nebula framework, because so many people are raving about it that there HAS to be some quality in it somewhere.

I think I was careful to qualify this at the end of my last post. So when I get some time, I will try your suggestions out and hopefully I will feel more love for the setup.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
This is all true. I tried it out 3 years ago when they first released it. I was so frustrated just with their website and the process of trying to figure out what you needed, downloading 20,000 different files (typing in captchas for each), then finally being able to install to find a very odd interface. It was interesting technology and had potential but I quickly forgot about it and only recently got back into it with all these great news programs out. If they ever get their **** together and get the gui and workflow ironed out then they will have a hot selling item.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I like it.

Took me a while to get the hang of it, and everything that everyone says about the website is true. But putting a couple of busses through Alex B's Tube Console bus impulses really makes a difference - smooth, but punchy and saturated. Michael Angel's tape collection is also worth having.

It also works in native x64, which is always a plus for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
same here (and to be honest: i'm even still with nebula 3 free version!) it took really some time to get into it. i think it's REALLY important to replace the standard skin RIGHT AWAY! (see attachment for a good example)

and there is loads of free programs from all 3rd party developers (spread around on nebula-programs.com, alex b, CD soundmaster...) that made me say: nebula beats all other plugins!

1 band EQ's? you can get used to it. as mentioned above: once you get into it, you don't mind anymore. use "nebula reverb" if your daw allows bigger latencies and you can use it alot.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone tried Nebula?-nebula.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Need more DEMO libraries for Nebula3 or Nebula3FREE? Get Free Library Complete Collection here: Acusticaudio Forums-viewtopic-FREE LIBRARY upgrade Thread
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone tried Nebula?-skinsn3pf.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was suspecting that I was somehow missing the point and missing the good stuff to really showcase the Nebula framework, because so many people are raving about it that there HAS to be some quality in it somewhere..

I made the same mistake when i first tried nebula, using only one EQ instance for example, it was meh,... with too much of a cpu hit.

what you dont really read much about is that the beauty of nebula's EQ's, pre's, etc is in the summing of several instances stacked together. (the reverbs are great on their own)

i stick about 4 EQ instances on a track for a 4 band eq and the colouration that comes out the other end is just butter. the same goes for some of the other libraries, like the tape emulations and the pre's,.... in most cases stacking a few of them will get you the sound you are after. you could even emulate a standard chain of mic>pre>comp>EQ(s) for a certain sound if your pc can handle it.

And i'm still using the free demo version with the limited libraries, and it sounds gorgeous, so i cant imagine how good the commercial libraries must sound.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sampling 2 EQ section (includind the amp distortion) in NAT is a very complex task due the amount of knobs and combinations. Velinas make some attemps into DocFear EQ combo emualtion presets (comercial version). Nebula4 with NAT + STONE (Acustica Audio lineal phase technology) will able to do the task and even more, you will able to desing a custom GUI for every emulation preset that you sampled with NAT.
mim
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
In a sound engineer's life, there is a before and an after nebula.

You can improve the experience, by :
1) change skin
2) reduce Reverb version latency
3) Control the different instancies, by your main DAW (cubase, reaper), so you'v got a wonderfull multiband EQ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how change the latency for reverb version (osx)?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro ➑️
how change the latency for reverb version (osx)?
Open the Nebula reverb XML with Text editor and change the DSP buffer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can u suggest me a "good" buffer size? half ok? or anything?
mim
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
it depends of your computer .

I have 2 version of Nebula Reverb :

1 for the reverb, cuda powered 4096 buffer

and the other for EQ or other stuff with 512 buffer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i mostly use the EQ's so lower should be fine!

thanks!
Old 13th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm surprised I don't see alot of pro tools users going crazy over nebula on here. I'm holding off on buying other pro bundles like waves, api etc just b/c of the talk about nebula. Yet to my knowledge is doesn't even work in a mac/pro tools situation yet???

So this leads me to this question:

Anyone using Nebula inside pro tools on a 10.5 mac?

Is there a release date on when this will be up and running for us mac/PT users??

I've been looking on this particular forum for a month or more and never really seem to find an answer regarding Nebula 3 Commercial being able to be used inside a Mac/Pro Tools situation (either with a wrapper or not)

Any food for thought on this??
Old 14th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enriquesilveti ➑️
Sampling 2 EQ section (includind the amp distortion) in NAT is a very complex task due the amount of knobs and combinations. Velinas make some attemps into DocFear EQ combo emualtion presets (comercial version). Nebula4 with NAT + STONE (Acustica Audio lineal phase technology) will able to do the task and even more, you will able to desing a custom GUI for every emulation preset that you sampled with NAT.
When are you planning to release Nebula 4?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Nebula 3 Commercial in ProTools HD on Mac OS 10.5.8 and 10.6.1 via FXPansion adapter without any problems.Read forum on acusticaudio.net
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
When are you planning to release Nebula 4?
im waiting already three years for it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev ➑️
I use Nebula 3 Commercial in ProTools HD on Mac OS 10.5.8 and 10.6.1 via FXPansion adapter without any problems.Read forum on acusticaudio.net
I've read the forum there... but no luck for me!

The latest nebula free crashes Pro Tools LE on 10.6.1 with the latest FXpansion adapter...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It worth to buy Commercial version
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As soon as it works for me I will!
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➑️
As soon as it works for me I will!
I Just bought nebula even though I couldn't get the free version to wrap in PT without it crashing.... thanks to goshalev I got it working with PT 8.1 OSX 10.5.8 on a 2008 mac pro 8 core.

Here's the process:

1) Register at Acusticaudio

2) Buy Nebula 3 and Nat 3

3) Send giancarlo an email ([email protected]) requesting the
mac VST (including paypal transaction details)

4) Run the installer.

5) get the generated serial file "nebula3.ser" from:
Library/Audio/Presets/AcusticaAudio/Nebula3 folder

6) send it to gianacarlo (if no serial is generated you can send your mac
serial number (from: finder / about this mac / more info / hardware
overview: "serial number (system)")

7) You'll be sent 2 files:

INIT.N2P : replace existing file in:Library/Audio/Presets/AcusticaAudio
/Nebula3/programs
INIT.N2V : replace existing file in: Library/Audio/Presets/AcusticaAudio
/Nebula3/vectors

8) place Nebula3.vst and nebula3.xml files from the nebula installation
(found in Library / Audio / Plugins / VST / Acustica)
into the FXpansion designated wrap folder - which can be:

A) Library / Audio / Plug-Ins / VST
B) User / Library / Audio / Plug-Ins / VST
C) Applications / Vst to Rtas Adaptor V2.1/ Vst plugins

(I use the 3rd option)

9) Wrap

10) Nebula now works !!!

Once again thanks VERY much to goshalev for letting me know what to do with the authorization files.... the website was giving me a massive headache.

The nebula OSX thread is:
Acusticaudio Forums-viewtopic-NEBULA MAC OSX Thread (unofficial releases)

Maybe this info will get more people up and running.

Looking forward to trying it out !

Al
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro ➑️
same here (and to be honest: i'm even still with nebula 3 free version!) it took really some time to get into it. i think it's REALLY important to replace the standard skin RIGHT AWAY! (see attachment for a good example)
This skin looks fine and simple, where did you find it..?
[for some reason a lot of the skins on the Nebula website can't be viewed in either of my browsers]

Best,
Mads
πŸ“ Reply