Quantcast
Mac Guru, help if you can... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Guru, help if you can...
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy Mac Guru, help if you can...

I spent 4 hours yesterday trying to fix a crash without replacing the entire system folder. Ended up replacing the system folder. Do you know what is going on?

The scoop - Spent a day transcribing a song that I am directing for a concert. I played the parts into DP3 using midi so I could print out the score later. Smart, I'm thinking.
I use the printer port on my G3'd 9600 (OS 9.1) for a MTP AV, so I do not have an active printer hooked up at the moment. When I would save the project, I would get a message saying "no active printers."

OK, next day I try to open the project, it would not open. It gave an error message (?forgot which one?) . I thought it might be looking for a printer, so I made the mistake of turning on AppleTalk. Then tried to turn it off. Got the bomb.

Restarted, it gets past loading extentions, then bomb - error 127. Same thing if I restart without extentions.

I boot from another disc. I made a backup of my working system on another disc, so I start comparing the two. One by one I replace the extention folder, the preferences, the control panel, everything I can think of and it still boots up to a bomb -error127.

WTF?! Something got corrupted, something to do with file resources/hfs, and the only thing that seems to work is replacing the entire system folder. This is the second time this has happened and it is driving me nuts as well as losing time/$$.

I know, it is time to upgrade, but I have so much hooked up to this machine and it would cost many $$$ to replace.

Oy, no wonder I am bald.
Old 19th March 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hi David,
Ok. This could be a few things, but the 1st thing I would try would be hooking the MTP upto the Modem port of the 9600. You'll have to re-do your Freemidi (or OMS) setup of course...sorry.
Then attach your printer to the printer port, and leave it that way. The 'no printer attached' message sure sounds like the Mac is expecting to see a printer on the printer port, yet DP is expecting an MTP to be active, so the whole system is getting confused...
I once had a problem with Opcode Galaxy where I one day didnt have my MTP powered up, and when Galaxy booted it bombed the whole Mac straight away!!
Anyway.. this confusion in the Mac may have lead to the corruption. Macs really do get used to operating in a certain way, and sometimes they react badly to radical changes

Thats my guess without further info anyway..

Al.
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Al. The modem port is often used, well, for the modem. I have the MTP in the printer port because I rarely print.

Do you have an idea as to what got corrupted? If this happens again, I would like to be able to just fix/swap that instead of the entire system folder.
Old 19th March 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Assuming you're on OS9, the program that I rely on to get myself out of weird **** like this is Diskwarrior. I'd normally do the following...

β€’ reboot with DiskWarrior and rebuild the directory
β€’ trash all relevant prefs (AppleTalk, DP etc)
β€’ reboot and do a desktop rebuild

A screwed directory causes more system failure than anything else and (as far as I know) DiskWarrior is the only app which can fix this. Re-installing the MacOS is usually a last resort. If you suspect corrupt extensions, you can't even rely on something like Clean Install Assistant to make this easy for you - it's just too much of a drag... DISKWARRIOR!!!!!!
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Rab, I did try Disk first aid and Norton, neither worked. I still want to know what it was that was corrupt. I got it working again, but the geek inside of me is going nuts. The geek outside is already nuts. rollz

I am trying to find out what I fixed!
Old 20th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I've just had a rotten crash on my 867 dual on OSX, hard drive lost it totally

These things happen for a reason, and because of this I have now discovered the two best apps ever for this kind of thing

Drive 10 by Micromat (they who make techtool pro) is terrific, way better than Norton (which sux)

and

Data Rescue X - manages to get stuff from disks that won't even mount!

Highly reccomened - if you're running OSX and nothing's gone wrong YET, get these two apps so you don't have to learn about it later like I did

I did have Norton but ut seems to be clueless when it comes to OSX
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh Boy, the joys of being me.

I get home yesterday with enough time to print off the rest of the score, grab a quick bite, and head off to reherse. Fire up the 'ol mac and I stare at a blank screen. Few more times, blank screen. Boot from another disc, now able to boot from 9.1 disc again (why?), bomb error -127 again.

I show up late to rehersal with out the parts.

Wanna buy a large paperweight?

WTF is going on?!? grudge
Old 22nd March 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
David,
Ok. So the same error has repeated without changing the systems configuration?

Buy Diskwarrior as Rab suggested. Error -127 is a corruption in the core filesystem, and only Diskwarrior will truely sort it out I reckon.
Buy the CD version of Diskwarrior from www.alsoft.com and then you have a CD you can boot from also, which will sort out your disks problems.

Al.
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Done and done.

There was some kind of AppleTalk corruption. No idea what from, but I hope to never see it again.

Got a fresh copy of 9.1 as well from a developer friend so I will do one final install to root out any wierdness.

Bevvy, hope you got your stuff sorted out.

I love computers. I hate computers. I love computers. I hate...

Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Done and done.

There was some kind of AppleTalk corruption. No idea what from, but I hope to never see it again.

Got a fresh copy of 9.1 as well from a developer friend so I will do one final install to root out any wierdness.

Bevvy, hope you got your stuff sorted out.

I love computers. I hate computers. I love computers. I hate...

David,I think Mcal was right, on those old macs I remember hooking my mtp to the modem port(better timing or something)
the printer to the back of the mtp and the modem to the printer port. You have an extension set just for music right?
Make sure appletalk is off! peace
daniel
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I remember hooking my mtp to the modem port(better timing or something) the printer to the back of the mtp and the modem to the printer port
Daniel, the modem to the printer port? So really you just switched ports. Is this right?

Oh, BTW, now I am a hero because I can transfer some zip disks to a CD. My 9600 is dead, Long live the 9600!

Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Daniel, the modem to the printer port? So really you just switched ports. Is this right?

Oh, BTW, now I am a hero because I can transfer some zip disks to a CD. My 9600 is dead, Long live the 9600!

Yeah, just switched ports, but also I have extensions setups:
One for music, one for net, one for printing.
I guess it depends how "mission critical" your Mac is.
I never had a crash that lost a track or ruined a session in 7 years of using a Mac for my business. I still have the original 7500 that I bought for $2800 in 96, I use it for remote recording, those are great computers peace
daniel
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Daniel, I do the same. Different extentions for different purposes. My problem came when I needed to print from Digital Performer. The two worlds colided and I ended up with a bomb.
πŸ“ Reply