The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who here is using Nuendo 4? solo/mute bug?
Old 22nd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser ➡️
....ummm, if I'm partially wrong, which part of my post was wrong?

I'm really trying to determine what I'm dealing with. I was seriously considering switching over to Cubase 5.

Any way you can back off the rant and just share facts?

Laser
Sorry for the tone. What I meant was that you're right except that it's worse than you describe. They knew about this not only before C5 came out, but before N4 even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️
Animus,

It wasn't March 2007, N4 wasn't released until late September 2007 , the first report of the solo/mute issue was within the first few weeks of release , by LEX from memory..

It didn't pick up momentum until early 2008 tho.., I agree , its all a blur from there on in... :-(
I think there's a post by Fredo on Nuendo.com where he basically acknowledges that part of the solo/mute bug was discovered in '06. It then got worse in N4, and TAFKAT is right, initial reports came out soon after N4's release, and it started picking up steam in the beginning of '08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser ➡️
Thanks, Animus. Obviously, Steinberg didn't give the report the attention it deserved. Frustrating, but most of the DAW manufacturers have been guilty of this at one time or another--though I admit that 2+ years is ridiculous.

What is REALLY concerning is IF they acknowledged the problem before the release of Cubase 5, then didn't address the problem before releasing it. I'm sorry, I just can't do business with a company that would do this.

That's why I'm curious. Any insight on this?

Laser
You're absolutely right. Inside sources also told me that there wasn't a plan to fix the problem until the second half of '08. So not only did they not comprehend how problematic the bug was (in addition to the truncated video issue), they didn't really think users would be pissed about it. Only after a lot of noise did they decide that perhaps they should actually fix a product so that it does what it says it does.

At one point I posted a list of posts on this issue. I think it was like one for each thread that discussed it. It was a loooong list. And then if you take into account all the posts not listed there. The point was that Steinberg claimed partial ignorance of the issue although people had been shouting about it for months. I think it got deleted....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer ➡️
Strange I have Nuendo 4 and Solo/mute works just fine ...
Then you're not using the Nuendo in a way the bug manifests itself. This isn't an issue of a bunch of idiots complaining where their systems are not working, or they aren't operating the DAW properly, this is a bug that's acknowledged by Steinberg.

Not saying you claimed we're morons, just clarifying that it's an officially acknowledged flaw in the software...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdaugherty ➡️
I agree it's total BS that it has taken this long, but if you are still using the product after it being broken for this long, there's really no room for complaining IMO. I mean, the problem obviously was not compelling enough to cause you to find a better solution. Compared to how long you have already waited, the fix is literally just around the corner.
I'm currently on PT HD 7.x and PT HD 8.x. The projects started using N4 were finished using PT HD, and I haven't started any new ones on it and won't until they fix the app.

Others have indeed switched permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdaugherty ➡️
No disrespect, but to me, having switched from crApple ilLogic 8, Nuendo is such a breath of fresh air that I guess I haven't started hating it... yet...
I don't think any of us who are disappointed have anything against people like you that are satisfied. Honestly, I'm glad you have a DAW you're happy with, I really am. And I hope it stays that way for you.
Old 1st July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
1 month delay.

Nuendo 4.3 Soon Available :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

Steinbug is teh BS of daws yo......
Lives for gear

Another delay, true.
However I would rather it was another month late & solid than on time & flawed.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Neil I agree with you. Here is hoping that it is in fact fixed properly and stable...

Of course if the delay is mainly due to the synchroniser then I like others would have prefered that that compatibility came later in a patch or waited on N5. Although that I admit is selfish as I am not the targetted audience for the synchroniser.
rsp
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes ➡️
Another delay, true.
Which is exactly what people say about the initial releases as well, isn't it? And the previous update.....
kdm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes ➡️
Another delay, true.
This delay isn't a big deal. It's the 15+ months since several bugs that we hope are fixed here, were first reported.

Steinberg really seems to be one of the few companies that only releases one or two updates to every major version, with no maintenance releases to speak of, and no addressing serious bugs ahead of adding support for things like the synchronizer.

I too hope it is solid this time around, but I'm almost positive that some stability bugs I've faced over the years will still be there.
📝 Reply