Logic 6 has arrived - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic 6 has arrived
Old 10th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a rather complicated question for BevvyB and all other Logic experts:

I use Protools HD, and bought Logic 5 last year. I would REALLY like to get into using Logic for both audio and midi, with the PT hardware, but everytime I start to look into this I get dizzy, then frustrated, and then I give up.

There are so many questions that I can't get answered, and Emagic support is not the best.

I'm looking for info on the following topics:

1: Session import-export between PT and Logic 6, both under OS 9.2 and OSX. There have always been some problems going in one direction or the other.

2: How to utilize TDM plugins withn logic.

3: How to utilize stand-alone soft-synths, such as NI's FM7 and Absynth, within Logic.

4: I can't upgrade to PT-6 becuase of no direct-Connect. Can I run logic-6 with my HD7 hardware, WITHOUT having PT6 installed? (as long as all my TDM plugins are OSX compliant)

5: Whatever else I've forgotten to ask about. Any and all issues dealing with this combination of hardware and software.

I NEED to use Logic, but I can't lose my TDM plugins, nor my soft-synths, and I MUST be able to import-export with Protools.

I know this is asking for a LOT of info, but I badly need to figure this all out. Any and all info will be HUGELY appreciated.

THANKS!
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
1. OMF works pretty well in Logic 5.5 and 6 in both 9.2 and OSX. You'll have to have Digitranslator to do 24bit transfers. The other option is using the Freeze function in Logic 6 to get audio into PT. This is what I use if I have to take a project from Logic to PT.

2. In Logic, enable the DAE engine, then you'll be able to create DAE audio objects (audio tracks/auxes/busses/master outputs). All DAE objects use TDM plugins just like ProTools. RTAS isn't supported in Logic because Digi won't allow it.

3. There are two ways to integrate native technology with DAE hardware in Logic. You can either use the ESB option which basically creates a virtual native audio interface in Logic and streams 8 channels of native audio into TDM auxes. The native engine will allow you 64 virutal instruments (to use FM7 and Absynth, etc...) 128 more audio tracks, 64 busses and 64 auxes. This is independent of the DAE engine and both can run at the same time. The other option is what I do - I have 2 MOTU 2408 boxes and I run 32 channels of lightpipe into 2 ADAT bridges. I have 16 stereo TDM auxes which bring in all my native stuff. This is the best of both worlds because I have all my native stuff running with virtual instruments and native VST (AU in OSX) plugins being sent into TDM auxes where I can insert all my fav TDM plugins (Sony EQ, DUY, Reverb One, etc...). This works beautifully and is VERY powerful.

4. Logic 6 in OS9 will run all PT hardware - Mix and HD. Logic 6 in OSX doesn't yet support PT hardware, but is in development. I'm currently running Logic 6 under OS9 with PT mix hardware. I also have PT6 installed in OSX and run Logic 6 (without PT support) in OSX. I can have Logic and PT open at the same time in OSX with no problems.

ESB is a very convenient option to get native audio into a TDM environment in Logic, but since you're running an HD7 rig you might want to get a separate native interface. Something like a MOTU system (because you get a lot of digital I/O for cheap) or metric halo's Mobile I/O (great sounding interface that works really well in OSX). This will allow you more than 8 channels of native. 32 works great for me because I tend to work entirely in native (in terms of creative work / and the bulk of mixing) then I can bring in 16 stems into TDM like it's a virtual digital console for additional processing. You can construct quite a complex routing architecture using native sends and TDM returns. Sounds great, and native is really quite a viable environment. There's automatic latency compensation on audio tracks so you can slap on any native plugin on any track of a live drumkit, and there will be no latency between tracks.

Brings me to another subject - latency. In OS9 and in OSX, on my Dual 1.25GHz machine, I'm able to run my native hardware at 64 samples - which means that when using virtual instruments, there is no audible latency. It feels just like hardware. And with sample accurate playback of virtual instrument data in Logic, it grooves just like an MPC.

As far as getting stuff from Logic into PT, the most efficient solution is Freeze. This is especially relavent if you're using a lot of virtual instruments. This makes it so you don't have to "print" the virtual parts before transferring to PT. Take all your native audio tracks and virtual instrument tracks, click the freeze icon next to each track, hit play, and wait for a minute or two, and ALL your tracks are printed to audio files, with plugins, starting from bar 1 that can easily be imported into PT.

Hope all this helps. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

kenn

Old 11th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kenn, this is some great info, thanks! You should create a new website for Emagic. It's amazing that i can't get clarity like this from them.

Of course, I DO have more questions, based on what you've written so far:
------------------------------------------------

"OMF works pretty well in Logic 5.5 and 6 in both 9.2 and OSX. You'll have to have Digitranslator to do 24bit transfers. The other option is using the Freeze function in Logic 6 to get audio into PT. This is what I use if I have to take a project from Logic to PT."

-I record at 88.2K, and using freeze would use up an awful lot of disk space, no? If OMF / Digitranslator is really seamless, why specifically would you not use it?
---------

"In Logic, enable the DAE engine, then you'll be able to create DAE audio objects "

-Can I create 64 DAE tracks at 88.2K, plus some auxes?
---------

"Use the ESB option which basically creates a virtual native audio interface in Logic and streams 8 channels of native audio into TDM auxes."

Only EIGHT total, as in four stereo? -and that hasn't improved in Logic-6?

Also, what format does this require? Protools 5.X used Direct-Connect, and of course only softsynths that could output D-C could be routed into PT. What is the Logic equivalent?
-------------

"...I have 2 MOTU 2408 boxes and I run 32 channels of lightpipe into 2 ADAT bridges."

-You must be running PT-Mix. With HD, this would require buying another Digital-192. Kinda' expensive, though this may indeed be a viable option. -But you're talking about another Mac, no? That's an extravagance, though I suppose that would free up more cpu power for ESX. Still...
Are you running the softsynths on the same Mac as Logic, going out lightpipe via the MOTU boxes, then BACK IN lightpipe via the Adat-Bridges and into Logic??
---------------

" I have 16 stereo TDM auxes which bring in all my native stuff."

-How does Logic see the lightpipe inputs? The Adat-bridges come up as input options?

Why should logic allow 16 lightpipe inputs but only 8 native inputs? I realize that you can't answer that, but it's a good question.

Good to know about the latency. that would have been my last question. Perhaps your way DOES make sense. I've been considering a second Mac for Altiverb. I could easily add a few softsynths to it, utilizing the same mdid-lightpipe card. My big expense would be the Digi interface.
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"-I record at 88.2K, and using freeze would use up an awful lot of disk space, no? If OMF / Digitranslator is really seamless, why specifically would you not use it?"

For me, OMF is cool if you're doing basic audio recording and some editing. Freeze would take up some space (especially at 88.2K) but it's foolproof, and it allows you to not have to "print" your virtual instruments or plugins on normal audio tracks before you xfer to PT.

---------

"-Can I create 64 DAE tracks at 88.2K, plus some auxes?"

Oh yeah, totally! TDM support in Logic operates pretty much exactly the same as if you were running PT software. Whatever you can create in PT mixwise/chipwise, you can do in Logic. Whatever your hardware supports, Logic will as well. With HD, you would be able to create 128 DAE tracks and as many busses/auxes as PT would allow you to do.

---------

"Use the ESB option which basically creates a virtual native audio interface in Logic and streams 8 channels of native audio into TDM auxes."

"Only EIGHT total, as in four stereo? -and that hasn't improved in Logic-6?"

It's not a Logic limitation. ESB is basically using Direct Connect to get into DAE. 8 mono / 4 stereo streams is all DC will allow.

"Also, what format does this require? Protools 5.X used Direct-Connect, and of course only softsynths that could output D-C could be routed into PT. What is the Logic equivalent?"

It's just Direct Connect. It will be different in OSX because Digi will not be using DC in OSX.
-------------

"...I have 2 MOTU 2408 boxes and I run 32 channels of lightpipe into 2 ADAT bridges."

"-You must be running PT-Mix. With HD, this would require buying another Digital-192. Kinda' expensive, though this may indeed be a viable option. -But you're talking about another Mac, no? That's an extravagance, though I suppose that would free up more cpu power for ESX. Still...
Are you running the softsynths on the same Mac as Logic, going out lightpipe via the MOTU boxes, then BACK IN lightpipe via the Adat-Bridges and into Logic??"

This is all on the same Mac. One master environment. For you, yes you would need another Digital 192, but it's such a better solution. Remember, none of your TDM plugins or DAE routing are using your CPU, so you can have a full TDM mix going, plus a FULL native mix going at the same time. Lightpipe out of the MOTU boxes, then back in lightpipe via the ADAT bridges.
---------------

" I have 16 stereo TDM auxes which bring in all my native stuff."

-How does Logic see the lightpipe inputs? The Adat-bridges come up as input options?"

Think of it this way. In PT software, if you had some digital equipment connected to your interface, you would create aux inputs to bring those signals into PT. It's the same way in Logic. You create an aux input that brings the signals from the MOTU boxes into Logic.

"Why should logic allow 16 lightpipe inputs but only 8 native inputs? I realize that you can't answer that, but it's a good question."

It's hardware connections versus using Direct Connect. When using hardware connections, only your hardware will limit you. I could take 72 channels out of multiple MOTU boxes, and connect them into my Digi hardware... Anything your hardware will allow you to do, Logic will as well. You can then create your own custom routing setup. In PT, creating a new session brings up a blank mix window, and you "create" what you're going to need for your session. Logic has the "Autoload" which allows you to create a working environment that means whenever you create a new session, your 'mixer' - native and TDM - will already be up and running. I have 2 1622s that were bringing in audio from all my synths (until I sold them all and converted solely to software synths), and combined with my Logic Controls and the TDM/native combo, I don't need a console. The Digi hardware acts as my console.

---------

"Good to know about the latency. that would have been my last question. Perhaps your way DOES make sense. I've been considering a second Mac for Altiverb. I could easily add a few softsynths to it, utilizing the same mdid-lightpipe card. My big expense would be the Digi interface."

What Mac are you running? If it's one of the newer macs, you'll be surprised how many softsynths you can run at the same time. I have an autoload in OSX that brings up 63 EXS|24s to run a virtual orchestra. Sure, not all are playing at the same time, but I can have them all open and available to me. I even have 2 reverbs running as well. A second mac for Altiverb is cool, but I wouldn't get a second mac for softsynths. The goal is to stay in one unified environment. When you open a Logic file, all your softsynths and plugins/mix routings are set, and like PT, the mix will just play. Also, staying on the same machine allows you to maintain your sample accurate timing of softsynths. With the newer macs, the native power is quite different than what we are all used to when the first softsynths started to appear on the scene some years ago.

Keep the conversation going... I really love this forum because everyone here is so knowledgable and open to ALL solutions, not just one or the other. There are a couple questions like this going on in the DUC, but there are couple people over there who are native-bigots and don't want to hear anything that resembles professional audio work is done on software other than PT. I've been running PT since it was ProEdit and ProDeck heh and have been running Logic since 2.5 when the audio engine was first introduced. Logic is the only software that allows you to run 2 audio engines at once, which is why my TDM/native solution works. Emagic is dedicated to making sure that their TDM users are kept happy, and even if the development in that area is a little slow right now, they haven't forgotten the TDM platform. They pride themselves in supporting TDM. Logic 6 OSX with TDM support is coming. If you're going to be working in Logic more, you might want to consider some Logic Controls. I have 32 faders and LOVE IT! I had a ProControl, and really wanted to use it with Logic, but Digi wouldn't allow Emagic to support it, so when LogicControls were released, I got rid of the PC. Because I'm in Logic 90 percent of the time, LC is way better integrated than PC is to PT. And now that LC supports PT 5.x in OS9, you can use the same controller for both programs. I'm sure support for PT 6 is in the works too...

Anyway, hope this helps!

kenn
Old 11th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kenn, this is just so great. I'm actually starting to get it. I apreciate you dealing with the basics here, since I have only used Logic a few times.

I need to digest this, and look at the other info I've collected. I'm sure I'll have further questions, but they'll be more esoteric.

I am VERY in your debt!

-Speers
Old 11th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, I'm still a bit confused. This may seem dumb, but:

I now see that SOME (not all) of my soft-synths can also be run as VST-2 plugins. So, I should be able to just insert these into Logic, yes?

You said, "I have all my native stuff running with virtual instruments and native VST plugins being sent into TDM auxes where I can insert all my fav TDM plugins"

So, even though Protools doesn't allow vst, Logic allows vst AND TDM plugins on the same aux? Cool. -But you said that you sent your native stuff out and back in via lightpipe. WHAT native stuff? surely not the vst plugins? There's something critical here that I don't understand...
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"I now see that SOME (not all) of my soft-synths can also be run as VST-2 plugins. So, I should be able to just insert these into Logic, yes?"

Yes.

"You said, "I have all my native stuff running with virtual instruments and native VST plugins being sent into TDM auxes where I can insert all my fav TDM plugins"

So, even though Protools doesn't allow vst, Logic allows vst AND TDM plugins on the same aux? Cool. -But you said that you sent your native stuff out and back in via lightpipe. WHAT native stuff? surely not the vst plugins? There's something critical here that I don't understand..."

Ok... So in this system I've described Logic is running 2 separate audio systems at the same time - native, using MOTU's ASIO driver, and TDM using Digidesign's DAE driver. Because they are 2 separate engines, you must create tracks/auxes/busses for EACH engine. You'll have TDM tracks that will ONLY run TDM plugins and HTDM plugins. Then, you'll also have native tracks/auxes/busses that will ONLY run native VST (AU in OSX) plugins and softsynths. The lightpipe connection between the MOTU box and the ADAT bridge (or Digital 192 in your case) is the missing link connection that bridges these two worlds together.

Let's say you were just running a native system. No TDM hardware. Let's say you also had a Sony DMX or Yamaha Digital console (for example). You did some mixing in your native system, but wanted to run those channels out to your digital board for summing and onboard fx processing. You'd probably use lightpipe to get that native audio into your digital board right? Your digital board has it's own set of fx processing, and internal routing, and the native stuff has it's own fx processing and internal routing, but the lightpipe connects the two. Think of your TDM hardware as your digital console. Even though you're basically running 2 different consoles in Logic, you're still working under one software package, and it feels like one big huge console.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

kenn.
Old 11th March 2003
Founder

Hey Ken, while you are here,

It has nevber been very clear if

PT to Logic AND Logic to PT transfers via OMF ever really worked 100%

with 44.1 24 bit & with 48k 24 bit

I am on a Mix + V 5.3 (I think?!) and my chums use logic 5 & 6

Thanks

Hi Bev!

Old 11th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Sorry it's been so long since an update, I've been busy

anyway

Until now Logic has been a bit silly in that there has been no groups at all, and the only way to control the level of a bunch of tracks is by bussing them, which not only gives the computer more stuff to work out but is also annoying.

That is now history with the arrival of groups.

On every channel above where the automation settings dropdown is is now another dropdown which shows what group is selected when its not being a menu (like the automation)

The dropdown lets you assign one of the 32 groups to the channel or open the group settings preferences pane.

One of the best things about the groups is that they are not only applicable to the mixing environment, you can set global preferences for editing, selecting etc

You can assign each group a name, and select whether it is active or inactive.

The choices for each group are local to the group and not global, although you can set a default.

You have a choice of grouping the volume, pan, and sends 1-8 (I imagine more if you set more sends up)

You then also have:

Arrange Selection (edit):

Allows you to force group selection on the arrange page even if you only highlight one of a grouped part. Imagine grouping all the drums. When you select one drum part it selects all the others without having to do the stupid drag across all parts thing. Also stops mistakes.

Arrange Track Zoom:

As soon as you zoom into one part, all other grouped parts zoom in the same. Very useful.

Arrange Track Hide:

You hide one from a group, it hides them all.

Arrange Track Record:

You put one track into record, all other in the group become record enabled.

Automation Mode:

Groups follow the automation.

Intrument Colour:

Makes colours almost useful. You change the colour of one part and all parts in the group change too.

---------------

That's it for groups. It's really simple and transparent, and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Of course, when grouped, all levels remain relative. This fixes the problem we had where having to 'bus' to make a group still left you with sends you didn't want making a noise even though you'd pulled down the 'bus' fader.

More later
Old 12th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kenn,

So Logic does NOT allow vst AND TDM plugins on the same aux. Bummer. I'm really hoping to avoid all that hardware. How about this scenario:

Insert a vst soft-synth on a native aux track. Create a TDM track next to it, and route the native track into the tdm track, inserting tdm plugins on this second track. Would this work? Can a native track be sent directly to a TDM track, either by

1: direct output assignment or

2: by using an aux-send set to 100%, and the track output set to "none" ???
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"So Logic does NOT allow vst AND TDM plugins on the same aux. Bummer. I'm really hoping to avoid all that hardware. How about this scenario:

Insert a vst soft-synth on a native aux track. Create a TDM track next to it, and route the native track into the tdm track, inserting tdm plugins on this second track. Would this work? Can a native track be sent directly to a TDM track, either by

1: direct output assignment or

2: by using an aux-send set to 100%, and the track output set to "none" ???"

No, none of this would work. Think that native is like Mac OS, and TDM is like Windows (no comparison or connection here). You can't run a mac program on a windows computer, and vice versa... Your best bet if you don't want to buy extra hardware is to go the route of ESB. But you'll only get 8 discrete outputs from native into TDM. That's the only way - otherwise, how would TDM communicate with native? Again, if Digi decided to increase the number of streaming signals used with Direct Connect (or whatever it's going to be on OSX), then Logic would implement. Remember, you can't run VST plugins/softsynths in ProTools because Digi has decided to keep it's hardware closed in that respect. If you're just using the same hardware in Logic, the same rules apply. You would just be adding on a native engine that is completely different in it's requirements and standards... But in order for the two to talk to each other, there has to be some cabling - internal with ESB and Direct Connect, and external with a MOTU box (or some other ASIO compliant interface) and digital inputs on the TDM side. Two consoles talking to each other...

Hope that clears it up.

Jules - I haven't done too much work with OMF and Logic/PT. The few times I have done the transfer, as long as I didn't make an embedded OMF file, everything was okay... They both should work, but for some reason, things are smoother if it's not one big file.
Old 12th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got it, Kenn. the fog is lifting. of course I now have lots of NEW questions, mostly concerning latency (which you've touched upon) and the Host-TDM Enabler.

Below is a list of questions I'm going to send to Emagic. As they rarely answer with much detail, I'm posting the same thing here. If I actually get any answers from Emagic, I'll add them later. Some of this is slightly redundant, added for clarification. anyway:
------------------------------

Since Direct-Connect is dead with PT6, what is the future for running Logic-6 on TDM hardware? will the new solution offer more than 8 tracks on the ESB?

Does Logic-6 require the PTHD extention, or is this now built-in?

Are there any possible conflicts when running the PTHD extention, the ESB-Bridge, the Host-TDM Enabler, and the Epic-TDM plugins all at the same time? This will all act as a stable, unified environment?
===================================================

ESX-24:

If I use the EXS24 sampler with DAE in Logic, via the ESB, is it still sample-accurate, or does it aquire the direct-connect latency? If the latter, can it at least use the 128K Stream-Manager?
The website says that is IS still sample-accurate, but how can that be if it’s using the Stream-Manager?
-------

Emagic wrote, β€œThe EXS24 uses Virtual Sample Memory. The technology is different than disk streaming, but the results are the same.”
-But does it have the same low latency as Giga for 64 voices?
Same cpu hit? How much ram does this require?

Max polyphony is 64 voices, but can I instantiate several ESX’s to get 128 or more voices?

Is there any way to use the ESX24 WITHIN PROTOOLS?

I want to have everything in logic process-able by TDM plugins. that includes the ESX-24, the EVP88 EVB3, etc and some third pary native stuff.
The ESB-bridge and TDM-Host will take care of the first two, yes?
What about native third party stuff? specifically Native Instruments stand-alone soft-synths (FM7, Absynth, etc) They operate with direct-connect or as vst insts.

Can they be used within Logic, and be processed by TDM plugins, if I have the Host-TDM Enabler? If not, must I go out a lightpipe interface and then back into Logic in order to do this? It seems to me that if the Host-TDM Enabler can allow Emagic’s native synths to be installed on TDM auxes, it should be able to do the same for third-party VST synths.
-----------

*** SO, IS THE FOLLOWING POSSIBLE, WITH NO HARDWARE:

32 ESX’s, and four stereo 3rd-party soft-synths, via the ESB-Bridge.
AND up to 16 stereo instances of the EVP88, EVB3 and EVD6, ES2, etc via the Host-TDM enabler.
ALL AT THE SAME TIME, ALL INTO TDM AUXES?

AND, Since I have the Host-TDM Enabler, I can also use the EVP88, EVB3, etc within Protools, yes?
-----------------------

With the above set-up, I would have a choice of how to route the EVP88 & EVB3 into Logic TDM tracks. I could either use the ESB OR the Host-TDM Enabler. Is there an advantage to one or the other?

CPU load? Automation or remembering of presets?

What about latency? Will both the ESB and the Host-Enabler add latency to the EVP88 (verse running it native within Logic) Will one add MORE latency than the other? Can either one at least use the 128K stream-manager?
=============================================

What about HTDM plugins, like the Native Instruments PTE collection and Spektral-Delay PTE? Can they be used within logic? If so, will they be on TDM tracks?
Session import-export with HD, PT6, and Logic:
Is it seemless in both directions? Even at 88.2K?
Can I rely on this always being OK?
-------------

Last: if I invest now in the EVX, EVP88, EVB3, ESB, etc etc, will I find that nothing works when I switch to Protools-6 and OSX? What does the future look like?
Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
If any of you guys are running Logic on OSX, here's a question :

Go to key commands

Try and make 'record' be selected by command - space...y'know, like it is in Pro Tools.

Logic won't let me select command - space as an option...is this just me???

Try it, tell me if you can do it!
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I just made it work, Bevvy!

You have to open the Parameters panel in the upper left of the Key Commands window, change the Modifier to CMD and then the Key to Space. But you have to do it manually. I tried using the "Learn Key" function and it wouldn't work.

Give it a go!
Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
OK, now I managed to do that using the panel, but now doing apple - space does nothing even though it says it should be record!
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

It takes a second of holding the spacebar for it to start recording on my Powerbook.

Just curious why you don't like the * key on the number pad for record? That and Shift+* for autodrop/punch-in works very smoothly. Is it just to maintain parity with PT?
Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I like having this:

apple - spacebar = record
option - spacebar = capture last take as recording
control -spacebar = capture last take as recording and play

ALSO, when you're trying to do too many things at a time (which I always am) it's easy to accidentaly either open the cd tray by accident or decrease the song speed by 1 bpm. I find it less 'dangerous' at the bottom of the keyboard. Also, it's closer when you're reaching for it.

BY THE WAY

check this out regarding major **** ups lurking in 10.2.4:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...020856258#date
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Got it! yuktyy

I have, luckily, not been plagued with any problems (touch wood...) since updating to 10.2.4 - I would imagine that date problem would really **** w/Logic users as the XSKey checks for an accurate date...
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Wink One more freeze question.

Hi;

Queston: If you are using Logic as a front end for a TDM system, and you insert a TDM Plug-in across that track, can you freeze that track along with the TDM plug-in? Or does the freeze function only apply to native plugs?

Thanx for your time!
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Only applies to native effects and tracks. TDM can't run (or process) faster than real-time - which is how freeze works.
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well I guess you can't have everything. Still a very cool thing!

Thanks for the info!

William.
Old 20th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, I've tried to get some straight answers from Emagic, but it's just ridiculous. I don't think their tech-support people actually use the software.

Does anyone know if the Host-TDM Enabler will allow the ESX-24 to be run within a Protools session? There seems to be much confusion regarding this.
----------

Also: Emagic claims that if I run the ESX-TDM (routing ESX into a Logic TDM channel via the ESB) that I will have the same sample-accuracy as wehn running the ESX on a native track. HOW CAN THIS BE? The ESB does its thing via Direct-Connect, which AT BEST has 3.2 ms latency.

Is it possible that Emagic means sample-accurate PLAYBACK only, by means of automatic delay compensation? If so, can it at least use the 128K stream-Manager? If it needs the 512K buffer, then I have no use for it.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
whats the diff btw a Bus and a Group?

also the diff btw an audio ch and an insert?

and exactly what the f would u use an aux for?

gratsi..
Old 24th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Hey, that's not exactly a Logic question but more of a 'how the hell does recording work' question.

I recommend you buy a beginners guide to recording or something. Although it may seem irrelevant to Logic, you must remember that Logic (and many other audio sequencers) are merely based on what people are used to in the 'real world'.

If you haven't used mixing desks and outboard equipment before it may all seem a little bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not telling you to stop being a noobie on Logic! We like helping everybody here.

But I think you could do worse than sitting down with a book on the subject for a few days and try and get your hands on some 'real' equipment so you have some idea of where Logic is coming from.

Hey, the other thing we all know is ....

... there's going to be a hell of a lot more posts like yours over the coming years!!!
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
actually, i've used logic extensively for a while now..

but even as a daily user, i've never used auxs, only busses to either group channels or to send reverb/etc to a channel..

i asked bc/ logic 6 (which i don't have yet) has groups... and i was wondering what you can do with grps that you can't do with busses...

and what u can do with an aux that is different from a bus (in actual application for logic, not on a mixing desk)..

also what you need insert channels for that cant be done with an audio channel...
Old 24th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Didn't mean to talk down to you, just thought it was a wierd question!
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by JoHoozaFats...
...and what u can do with an aux that is different from a bus (in actual application for logic, not on a mixing desk)...
Never did use a aux.

Quote:
...i asked bc/ logic 6 (which i don't have yet) has groups... and i was wondering what you can do with grps that you can't do with busses...
Groups will allow you:
-rec-enable/mute/solo multiple tracks by a single click.
-change paning/levels/sends befor they hit the comp on that buss
-change paning/levels/sends without adding an extra summing mixer

Quote:
...also what you need insert channels for that cant be done with an audio channel...
Is that a channel insert? Like routing the insert to the I/O and back?
Old 3rd April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
"quote:
...also what you need insert channels for that cant be done with an audio channel...

Is that a channel insert? Like routing the insert to the I/O and back?"

YES

Aux's are mainly for the EXS24 and other softsynth's separate out.
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

I use Aux's in Logic for FX returns because, unlike, buses, they also offer sends so I can send an effects return to another effect and automate the send if necessary.
Old 3rd April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
learn something every day

I never thought of that

Going to do it RIGHT NOW
πŸ“ Reply