Quantcast
I think I'm ****ED - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I think I'm ****ED
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think I'm ****ED

A band came in to mix today, and ptle "unexpectedly quit"s every time I open their session. it doesnt crash when opening other sessions, just theirs. I ran disk doctor and it said my drive is fine.

This record wasnt a big deal, and nothing is backed up. It was a quick 4 day thing to track and mix, aahhhh I feel completly ****ed. Anyone have any advice?
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you tried opening a blank session and track importing the tracks into it. Can you track inport in LE?
I have had this happen with an old mix session.
One of teh audio tracks was corrupted so it would not load this one up and crash. Bad disk on the way out.
Do you have a backup session file?
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah nothing was backed up. I think I'm screwed.
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: I think I'm ****ED

Quote:
Originally posted by planet red

This record wasnt a big deal, and nothing is backed up. It was a quick 4 day thing to track and mix, aahhhh I feel completly ****ed. Anyone have any advice?
If it wasn't a big deal ..... why feel ****ed?

i feel ya.
can you give more details? Drive, maker, Firewire, scsi etc. ?
I've been through hell n back, maybe I can help.

guess what happened to the 2nd engineer that didn't back up a late nite odub session 'cause "he was tired" and thought he'd do it first thing in the morning?

Fries with that ?
Old 23rd February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Have you tried importing the tracks into a fresh session file yet? That's the best trick (actually backing up is the best trick).

What about auto-save - was it on? does LE have it? It saves my ass all the time.

Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The problem with importing all the tracks is that (i know this aweful, but it was a quick record) I recorded all the songs into the same session to make mixing and tracking much quicker, so it has a million things to import, and the stuff was so edited that I cant just put it all back to where the timestamp (or whatever its called) is. But then again I'm a PT moron, so maybe someone knows a way to get around this. So yeah, I bought an extra firewire drive today, so im going to back everything up into 2 places.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If your running a newer version of PT 5.1 up.
Remember to click the save sessions every say 5 mins from now on.
I got caught out with a mix that crashed a few weeks back, I had trashed the digisetup and forgot to re-click it.. .
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re-install PT?
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The problem is that when I try and open their session PT crashes immediately. Its saved and ready to go, but i think there is a corrupt file that makes it crash. All other sessions open fine, its just this one. I wish I would have saved an unmixed version of it before I started mixing.

Either way Im going to try and call Digi tommorrow to see if they can help me out (doubt it though).
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The problem with importing all the tracks is that (i know this aweful, but it was a quick record) I recorded all the songs into the same session to make mixing and tracking much quicker, so it has a million things to import, and the stuff was so edited that I cant just put it all back to where the timestamp (or whatever its called) is.
Yes it is "aweful". Having all the songs in one session is a terrible mistake. It can make so many things far more complex than they need to be - and is often not quicker in the long run. Other shortcuts - such as importing master tracks that contain the processing.

If you haven't tried this - do.
1. Open the protools application only - Don't open protools by clicking on the session.

2. Create a new session that has the same sample rate and bit depth of the original.

3. Use the import tracks feature from the file menu - not import audio or import audio to track. Select the bunk session. Import ONLY one track. This will retain all edits and locations - no need to timestamp (if it works that is).

4. If importing one track worked - then import more. If you do it one track at a time - you may be able to figure out which track has the screwed up information - and thus be able to use at least all the other tracks.

How long have you been using this one session file? My usual routine is that before I open any session - I duplicate it. I put the original one in a folder marked "archived playlists" and rename the duplicate with todays date and then open it. That way I can "undo" back to however the session was after I ruined it today. This is, again - in addition to backing up daily and using auto-save. I'll also save before doing anything serious like a bunch of "all" group shuffle mode craziness.

While we are on the subject. The mistaken use of shuffle mode is a very good reason to not have all your songs in one big session. Especially if you don't have multiple versions saved. Seems like you were doomed to suffer eventually with your method.

tutt
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its not generally the way I work, but when a band wants to spend 4 days recording and mixing a record with 12, one and a half minute songs, I get lazy. But I guess I'll learn from my mistakes... like spelling awful too quickly
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another thing to check is your plug-ins...did you have a bunch( maybe too many for your system) running? i had something very similar happen and had to pull the offending plug-in( autotune) out of the system folder. then the project opened back up.

just a thought.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdpath
another thing to check is your plug-ins...did you have a bunch( maybe too many for your system) running? i had something very similar happen and had to pull the offending plug-in( autotune) out of the system folder. then the project opened back up.

just a thought.
Ah yes... The autotune "bug" when you try using it with a Control 24. This thing effed me for a good hour till I tracked it down.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Ah yes... The autotune "bug" when you try using it with a Control 24. This thing effed me for a good hour till I tracked it down.
Yikes.me too. That was fixed with a move to Autotune 3.0
No more crashing.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I did a track transfer (something i didnt even know existed), and found the problem to be an insert on the master fader. Even now if I put an analog insert on the master fader it crashes immediately. Funny I do this every session and its never had a problem.

Its all good now though.rollz rollz rollz rollz
Old 25th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I suppose it's possible that since you have so much in one session. LE just can't handle it all. When you get deep into editing on a host based system, thing can start to get pretty ****ing lame. I've had similar problems. Maybe try importing one track at a time and only using one song per session?
πŸ“ Reply