Quantcast
Studio network fibre channel news at last!! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio network fibre channel news at last!!
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MCal
As I've said before... about 40 percent of my tech calls are from clients having SCSI issues.... so please dont try to tell me its not the case. I'm in no way a SCSI fan, and cant wait to see it superseded by better, or more robust alternatives.
Hi Al. What are these SCSI problems your clients have? In commercial enterprise data center land the only SCSI problems I encounter as an engineer or admin are hardware failures (backplane, HBA, disk death). This is with massive amounts of disks - 8000+ spinning all day and night.

When the IDs/LUNs/termination/cabling is properly set up, everything runs AOK!

My guess is that your client problems are due to people forgetting to terminate, hot swapping non hot swappable disks, fuggering IDs etc.
Old 25th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you tried throttling down the bandwidth allocation for your SCSI HBA
Yeah - I have tried that - maybe I don't have the balance quite right. But Firewire is just too easy and soooo much cheaper.

I think S-ATA drives in Firewire800 enclosures is one good answer - they should be coming soon.

Also - S-ATA drives right inside a new G-5! Too bad three drives don't fit in there so the System/Application drive could still be seperate from two audio drives. The other problem with the new G-5's is I can't fit my three HD cards in there and have room for any HBA - SCSI or Fibre channel. There was a rumour that a Fibre channel contoller would be incorporating right onto the G5 motherboard - but that turned out to be wishful thinking - so far.

However - you can bet that an Xserve and Xraid upgrades are on the way that incorporate S-ATA controllers (along with dual G5 architecture or quad if we're lucky). There are rumours of a new server box called - Xstation.

For the record - I'm still running twin Firewire400 drives - and doing fine. For better or worse - SCSI is on the way out.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
The other problem with the new G-5's is I can't fit my three HD cards in there and have room for any HBA - SCSI or Fibre channel. There was a rumour that a Fibre channel contoller would be incorporating right onto the G5 motherboard - but that turned out to be wishful thinking - so far.
Hey hey you're running HD so why do you want a G5? tutt Those G5's are for lowly native users! Like me.

That mobo fibre would have been VERY cool. I was hoping for that too.
Old 25th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey hey you're running HD so why do you want a G5? Those G5's are for lowly native users! Like me.
So that (this winter) I can run Reason 2.6 and Logic 6.1 and Ableton Live 2.1 AND pro Tools 6.1 all at the same time - synced up with ReWire2 of course! Native and TDMII running together.

(and yes - for those of you with no humour- I know none of those versions are out yet).

Why wouldn't I want a G5 ! They rule.
📝 Reply