The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NI Studio Collection
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
NI Studio Collection

It basically is just a question of having these NI instruments as RTAS for easy integration with ProTools LE, programs that, on their own, cost somewhat less than what they charge you for the bundle. I don't understand why you can buy the stand-alone/VST version of Battery at $200, but have to spend $800 on the bundle with Pro-52 and B4 if you want to use the RTAS version. Why couldn't they encode RTAS capabitlity in the single boxed version of Battery?

Well anyway, I've seen the bundle for as low as $600 and was wondering if it was worth it. Now that PT is awaiting OSX, NI is releasing a bunch of new soft-samplers and toys (although no official announcement of RTAS support for these), MOTU is releasing Mach 5 to rival Kontakt (M5 being RTAS capable), will buying this said bundle seem obsolete as we'ere on the cusp of so many changes?

I just want to use Battery inside Pro Tools! Furhtermore, what's the future of Battery look like, will they keep upgrading it or will it be replaced, IYO?

Thanks for any opinion.

---------------

www.krou.com
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
As a former TDM/Ni Bundle owner (I've gone to native - from HD) - I agree it is very expensive - and to be honest I didn't really get my moneys worth (I already owned 2 of the products and got an awful upgrade).

In saying that, what I did use a lot of times was the added ability to use the B4 and Pro-52 as insert effects - and to me this was worth having. The Pro-52 filters (triggered by a Midi note were very handy), as was the Leslie of the B4.

I'd say try the demo - but wait a bit until the whole OS X thing has panned out. It still seems unclear to me how this is all going to end up.

Cheers

Pete
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
With NI releasing so many new products in the next few months, what's everyone's opinion on the future of Battery? Is it strong enough a program to keep improving and upgrading, or will they drop it completely and focus on Kontakt, Impakt and Kompakt? (all sounds like Ikea furniture names)

Personally, I think it's great that NI are - obviously - expanding and soaring with ideas right now, but it seems like they're going overboard with all this stuff, most of it being quite derivative. I wish they would just find a way to combine Battery and Kontakt into one easy to use program, where you can toggle between the 'multiple cell' interface for drum parts and the standard 'keys' for instuments, with RTAS support to boot. Now we're talking.

Peteri,

I gather your opinion on this existing Studio Collection is to just wait, seems like the wise thing to do. I'm just so ready to have a sampler integrated in PT, without having to toggle back and forth with Reason! (I know, MOTU's new Mach5 should be pleasant)
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yeah,

I'd sit and wait - or get the Motu sampler.

I just think that NI won't do RTAS, don't know why and maybe I'm wrong (been known!) - but I don't think so.

Rightly or wrongly I think the studio collection was an experiment for NI and they've been disappointed with the uptake of it - a fact that isn't surprising given the high price - they even cut the price quite heavily (just as I was trying to sell mine!).

When they launched the Studio Collection lots of others were meant to be in the pipeline and all seems to have gone quiet, presumably because they're basically a small company trying to do many things.

I'd say it's a return thing, CoreAudio/AudioUnits are clearly going to be central to them and these need developing first - RTAS will always be lower down the chain - and maybe too low to ever get finished.

As I said maybe I'm wrong but the impression I get is that Studio Collection was a marketing experiment that didn't go as well as hoped.

We'll see!

Pete
๐Ÿ“ Reply