Quantcast
DLT tape driver issues - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DLT tape driver issues
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DLT tape driver issues

I bought 2 compaq DLT 35/70 gig drives a couple of weeks ago on a computer sales market. realy realy cheap. Today I tried to get them hooked up and boy oh boy ... what a nightmare. I opened them up and saw that they are actually quantum DLT 7000 drives.

Now here's how I tried it. Since the internal connection is UW-SCSI I hooked it up to the G4's ATTO UW adapter .... same as my ProTools drives are connected.

The problem is that they are not recognised ... no way ... I tried everything.

Dantz Retrospect is supposed to recognise the DLT 7000 / compaq 35/70 since version 4.3 .... I have 5.0 ... according to the danz site it should work ... but it doesn't.

neither compaq or quantum have mac drivers / firmware updates ... at some point I thought maybe the firmware could be to old ... but since I can't even get the mac to see them I cannot check the firmware.

I even tried the drives on an old PPC 7300 ... with conventional SCSI bus thinking that the problem might be the ATTO ... same thing there ... no DLT device.

I tried several jumper settings ... changing ID / terminator etc etc .... no success .... on neither one of them.

The drives seem to work fine ... It loads the tape

Dantz says it should work .... Quantum says it works with Dantz retrospect .... yet I can't get it to work.

any ideas .... ???? if not ... look on ebay shortly for some realy realy cheap DLT 7000 's ...
📝 Reply