The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Etherize explain yourself
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Etherize explain yourself

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2399

If this is true........... beam me up scotty!
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
SuperSecret Source

Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks man

That's interesting. I wonder if he's talking about Chris Moulious. Well looks like Apple is getting stronger everyday. I venture Logic 7 must have some new looping audio features in the pipeline.
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If Digi isn't already worried, they should be. Having the entity that controls both the OS and the hardware beginning to assert themselves as your direct competitor is pretty scary.

PTHD on Win XP will get a big push from Digi, IMO. Hedging bets makes sense.

Brian T
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think Apple has much of a choice

PC's have gotten too fast and the Music software is robust enough to cause serious problems for Apple. Digi is already promoting Wintel more than ever and that's understandable as they have to grow their market as well.

I've never seen Apple compete like this however. From taking on

Microsoft with Safari, Keynote, iMail etc
Adobe with Final Cut Pro, Shake
Digi with Logic. Apple certainly has thrown down the gauntlet. To be fair however Apple seems to play nice with developers with the creation of API's that 3rd parties can hook into. All is not lost.
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
this is a post from the Kvr-vst forum from someone who says he worked for Sonic Foundry..his location is the same as one of sonic foundries offices so it sounds credible:

"LanceL KvRer

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:28 pm
_______

I worked at SOFO for two and a half years. I won't comment on who did or didn't leave, but I will say that there is a plan in place for keeping apps authorized (so that yes, you can still get activation codes) if SOFO goes under. Please spread the word so that those who own/buy SOFO apps won't worry about that aspect."

The fact that he is not denying anything I believe says something...but it's not like this is huge news or anything...SJ has says they have been actively hiring great talents while everyone else has been laying off...

Also as far as Digi goes...Apple has no reason to scare Digi of its platform...what's good for Digi is good for Apple...Digidesign made the decision to go cross platform when Apple was seriously in trouble...so it did make sense at the time...but I personally have never met one person who uses protools HD on PC... Digi and Avid may eventually fall victim to native power no matter what Apple does...as we see the traditional players Emu, Akai, Eventide...coming to the computer platform...to me it seems the company that plays nicest and offers the best security for third party software will win...

Oh and did anyone notice SJ jamming on stage with that live mixing website? i could totally see Apple trying to bring a mixing/dj app to the masses... so that would totally fit in with this guys hiring...

Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great points Etherize

Digi will have to grow ProTools in the future just like everyone else. Native Audio in 5 more years will be damn near the equivalent of HD.

I don't think the average person realize the metamorphisis that our PC's are going through. With RapidIO, PCI Express and Hyper Transport hitting late this year. We'll finally reduce a bottleneck of Native Systems that can put fixed right now.

Apple has been acquiring good talent and they're using them well.

Doug Wyatt lead programmer for Mozilla helped get Safari running great in Beta.

I hear the original team that created the eventual Clarisworks and GoBe Word Processing is now back at Apple.

Bud Tribble is back and just spoke at the Univ of Washinton(I missed it) and said that Apple has some good HW coming.

Hell I even heard a year or two back Apple hired a bunch of Discreet Programmers. Apple doesn't really Poach but they do offer a hand. Back in the days programmers dreamed about programming for Apple and in the late 90's that died. Apple had much Brain Drain at that time. Looks like the momentum has definitely changed. I look for the next 3 yrs to show Apple flex some skills in the application arena. It's the only way the can compete with PC's which will remain Faster and Cheaper for the forseeable future.
πŸ“ Reply