Quantcast
Digi 002...which Mac for an upgrade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 002...which Mac for an upgrade?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Digi 002...which Mac for an upgrade?

I am currently running Digi 002 on my iBook 600 Mhz G3 with 640 meg of ram.
Runs too slow and runs out of plug in power too easily.
Which Mac would be the best to purchase for an upgrade...
G4 867 Mhz PowerMac
G4 867 Mhz Titanium Powerbook
G4 800 Mhz iMac
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks Kent.
Do you work for Apple? LOL!

I have been a long standing Mac supporter since the mid eighties. I currently own 7 Macs. I appreciate your knowledge of the product line and your response as well.

However, my question is aimed more at the performance of Digidesigns 002 system and it's ability to take (or not to take) advantage of Apple's current models. I own HD3, Mix3 PT systems and recently picked up the 002. It's much more limiting than I anticipated. I'm currently using a G3 600Mhz iBook with the ram maxed out at 640 Meg. This is a slow and limiting combination. The 002 is computer dependent. Choosing a more powerful Mac is the next logical option.

Portability is not an issue. Therefore, all of the Macs mentioned in my original post are relevant. All of the models can also exceed the 640 ram limitation of the iBook. BTW the single processor 867 is still offered for $1,252. at Apple's Education on line store.
The 002 doesn't require PCI slots but the towers do have the faster processors. Will PTLE version 6/002 be able to take advantage of the dual processors and if so is the price difference substantiated by the performance difference between the single and dual processor models?
Will there be a significant 002 performance difference when using either an 800Mhz iMac, 867 PowerMac or an 800Mhz Powerbook?
If so, how appreciable would that difference be?
Which model will give me the best bang for the buck so to speak.

Jim
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks kent.

I would love to believe that the G4 867 with 1.5 meg of ram would do the trick. It appears to be the biggest bang for the buck. However, if that choice isn't quite enough it becomes a waste of money. Would also like the opportunity to check out the above VS a dual 1 giger maxed out with ram.
I may have to give Digi a call for their opinion.
Thanks again.

Jim
๐Ÿ“ Reply