🎧 15 years
So when's PT6 due out?

Anyone know?

Ta
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HI Renie
I was speaking to the guys at digi the other day and asked for any news. They said 'a few weeks' as there is still some delay waiting for pace to implement some sort of something or other. Its to do with the way the copy protection will work clearly. I was really succeeding in forgetting about pt6, especially seeing as my system 9 setup now works properly for the first time in six months. With NAMM and everything, I'm getting the bug again.
J
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few weeks...., that's good.

It should be really cool working fully on OSX! I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers J

Renie
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just asked my magic eightball a few questions :

Q : is PT 6 coming soon ?

A : it is decidedly so.

Q : will it be this month ?

A : most likely.

Q : will LE be part of it ?

A : ask again later.

Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the news from the 'other side' Chris.

Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Surely it can't be the implementation of audio units that's causing the extra time...:eek:
Old 3rd February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Without wishing to appear a party-pooper, but really, what's the big fuss about PT6?

Digi need to have things working on OSX for the survival of their product - especially with the OSX-only G4's now amongst us. When the most exciting thing they have to tell us about is a new file-management system I have to suspect it's not that interesting!? I can understand the Audiovision guys are excited about finally having their bin structure back, but as a music guy I'm doing fine with things the way they are, thanks all the same. DPP and DFX are now in DigiRack... thank God! These are essential to my work (not). And MIDI groove templates is far from groundbreaking (how about REX import for something cool?). And how much grief will it be to sort out all my plug-ins (again!).

I think a lot of us were hoping for a genuine improvement in the MIDI implementation... and for that I'd be happy to shell out the $200 (or whatever it is). As it is, it seems to me I'll be paying for an "upgrade" that Digi would have had to provide anyway if they were hoping to sell systems in the future to OSX-only mac-purchasing customers. Compare what they are offering to the v5 upgrade from Emagic (genuinely interesting, and worth the money imo) and I can't see how it's that great a deal.

I really don't give a monkey's about the MacOS, but if I'm paying for an upgrade, I want something significant in the way of new tools! Please tell me what I'm missing!?
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
PT6 is shipping today for those who buy it new. Upgrades are "available mid-february".

Quote:
I think a lot of us were hoping for a genuine improvement in the MIDI implementation... and for that I'd be happy to shell out the $200 (or whatever it is).
I think Midi Time Stamping Compatibility represents a genuine improvement.

Quote:
Pro Tools 6.0 software incorporates enhanced MIDI functionality, including full support for Mac OS X's Core MIDI Services. MIDI Time Stamping (MTS) support provides sample-accurate MIDI with Pro Tools-compatible software synths and samplers, eliminating the possibility of compromised sync and drift issues. Also, you can take advantage of up to sub-millisecond-accurate MIDI with Digidesign's MIDI I/O and other supported MTS-capable interfaces, rivaling any dedicated hardware sequencer.
Here is the full statement about the release :

Quote:
Digidesign
Administrator
Member # 6810

posted February 03, 2003 11:02 AM ___ __ _ _ _ _ __ __

Pro Tools 6.0 software is now shipping with new Pro Tools systems. Upgrades to follow mid-February.
For more information, please see the following links:

Pro Tools 6.0 for Mac OS X Introduction:
- http://www.digidesign.com/news/hotnews/PTv6/

Pro Tools 6.0 for Mac OS X Upgrade Information:
- http://www.digidesign.com/news/hotnews/pt6_upgrade/

Pro Tools 6.0 for Mac OS X compatibility information in the Digidesign Compatibility Documents:
- http://www.digidesign.com/compato/

Pro Tools 6.0 documents in the Technical Document Library:
- http://www.digidesign.com/support/docs/

Pro Tools 6.0 Plug-In upgrade iLok information:
- http://www.digidesign.com/support/ilok/

iLok.com Information:
- http://www.digidesign.com/news/hotnews/ilok/

iLok.com
- http://www.ilok.com

--------------------
Digi Web Admin
Old 4th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Hey Paul

I'm not saying there's no improvement in MIDI implementation, but I'd argue as to whether it's particularly exciting. Historically, it's been the case that for an "audio heavy" session I'd do a project in Pro Tools, but for a writing session based on MIDI I'd have to work in Logic then export the MIDI and audio files into Pro Tools for mixing. I was hoping (and I know I'm not the only one) for a developed MIDI sequencer engine in PT6. Lets be honest, if any new software manufacturer brought out a product with PT's midi spec it would be laughed off the shelf... it's usable, but fairly rudimentary.

MIDI time stamping? haven't Digi been banging on about this since their MIDI interface was released? So this is long overdue anyway (cf. Emagic's AMT system which has been around for ages). By a significant change I meant a realistically advanced platform for audio AND midi production. I'd love to drop Logic and move totally into PT (the audio editing is excellent), but given what I've read about PT6, I can't see this happening in the immediate future. This, of course, leads me to concerns about Logic support for HD on OSX... didn't we go through this for the first 6 months of last year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad PT is on OSX, but what mind-blowing improvement in its functionality am I gaining for the price of the upgrade?

tut
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Rab,

Oh - you're basically right.
Logic is still the way to go. However, it will be nice that my MIDI interfaces will finally do what they are supposed to.

As far as " mind-blowing improvement in its functionality" to me that's what OS X is compared to OS 9. We're just paying for all that reprogramming. Although I should note that for a $8000+ system, a $195 upgrade is fairly nominal (to me anyway - although I need two).

I also a using Logic - but I'm a Logic newbie. Did you note this ? It should put your PT6 + Logic 6 worries to rest :

THE new Logic TDM Collection
Old 4th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Thanks, but you'll notice that press release was very specific to mention OS9!

My immediate concern would be that if clients start to adopt Logic 6 (which looks cool) OR PT6 (which also looks cool) for sessions, there looks like no imminent cross-support between the two on OSX. This would be a major hassle if you take on a job halfway through - at present I regularly find myself swapping sessions between PT and Logic to finish a job as both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Back to my point though, I'm happy to pay for a significant increase in functionality - NOT to stand still on a different MacOS - that's totally in Digi's interest anyway.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rab or/and Paul,

When the emagic website says that the new logic version will 'display' audio in the main arrange window with sample accuracy does that mean it's possible to edit audio with sample accuracy there too?

cheers

Renie
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do not understand some guys like to spend every dollar they earn with te latest upgrade, lates geart so as to improve his sound quality around 15%.

I am very comfortable with MAC OS 9.2.2, PT 5.1.1, plugins working fine for the Mix plus along with the adat bridges.

I have just paid for an upgrade of Waves stuff to 3.2/3.5 and now things have to be rewritten to OS X/PT6.

I really have not seen anything really significant within PT6 to
make me purchase it. I am waiting for PT 6.x or maybe PT7.

Unfortunately, money is quite hard on here...
:(
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
I do not understand some guys like to spend every dollar they earn with te latest upgrade, lates geart so as to improve his sound quality around 15%.

I am very comfortable with MAC OS 9.2.2, PT 5.1.1, plugins working fine for the Mix plus along with the adat bridges.

I have just paid for an upgrade of Waves stuff to 3.2/3.5 and now things have to be rewritten to OS X/PT6.

I really have not seen anything really significant within PT6 to
make me purchase it. I am waiting for PT 6.x or maybe PT7.

Unfortunately, money is quite hard on here...
PT6 won't bring any sound quality improvement let alone 15% (which is a lot of improvement in my books). But PT6 OSX, in theory, looks really appealing to me, better organized, better MIDI, especially with a nice new dual processor. yuktyy
Old 6th February 2003
I will probably hold off till they get plug in delays 'fixed' and compensated for automatically..

PT 6.3 ...... Q1 2,004 ????? just a guess

But who know what will be around by then to tempt the Mix + owner..???

Back on the 'work with what I got' fence I go..
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey

hey PT hd users,
Ordinanary midi interfaces working at 44k/48k like the MTP AV can be used with your gear?
I haveheard that at 96k that could not be possible.. must go with a high end new midi interface, like that one from Digi?
See... change everything ... interfaces, plugins ( even after paying for 88.2k/96k upgrades that still do not work properly)...192k ... still a dream...
Considerable quality leap for a giant $$$$$$$ investment!
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Back on the 'work with what I got' fence I go..
The one truly significant benefit with PT6 is the ability to import routing / plugin / bussing / etc. mixer attributes to different sessions...

For all you folks mixing album projects in the box, this could save a lot of time. This theoretically solves one of my biggest issues with using PT this way (which is/was) having to basically build a friggin mixer from the ground up just to go to the next song. A major waste of time and source of irritation, IMHO.

Looks like a major PITA for plug upgrades, though.

All you bleeding edge / guinea pigs: Let us know how it goes!

We'll likely be waiting for PT6.1.1 to jump...
Old 7th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
This theoretically solves one of my biggest issues with using PT this way (which is/was) having to basically build a friggin mixer from the ground up just to go to the next song. A major waste of time and source of irritation, IMHO.
How is this different to starting a track with a Session Template?
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes, I was wondering the same thing. however, with these new features you shall copy an entire single track/channel, inserts and so...

but no auto delay compensation yet?
fade previews stilll bypasses plugs and outputs only to out1/2?

Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Rab
How is this different to starting a track with a Session Template?
I was referring to finishing or mixing a project; not tracking. This issue addresses a former pet peeve of mine. I'll try to clarify.

Lets say you track and edit 10 songs for an album. Now it's mix time. Pull up the first song and tweak the mix, inserting the eq, dynamics, fx aux routing, mults, etc. IOW, you're building your virtual mixer. You mix the track and want to go to the next song. You can't simply 'roll thru' to the next song (like with tape and a console) with your basic mix still up... You have to rebuild the mixer again and again, for each successive song. OR you can consolidate all the audio files in each song and import them into that session again and again... There are various workarounds but they all have their pros and cons, and all are IMHO, wastes of time and major PsITA... This issue, along with the much debated summing issues, and the outboard h/w insert delay headaches, were the main reasons we dumped a Pro Control and went back to mixing analog. Well, that and the fact that it just sounds better (in our opinion).

The new attribute import will allow you to transfer your 'virtual mixer' to the next song without jumping thru all the previously required hoops.

YMWV on this point. If you're mixing rock records this could be a great feature. If you're doing other styles of work (w/dissimilar instrumentation from tune to tune), it could be fairly useless.
Old 8th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
You can't simply 'roll thru' to the next song (like with tape and a console) with your basic mix still up... You have to rebuild the mixer again and again, for each successive song. OR you can consolidate all the audio files in each song and import them into that session again and again...
Yeah, I see your point. Normally I'd do what you mentioned - consolidate everything and drag it over. I don't record bands, so you're right, this isn't a great feature for me... but for those 48tr+ rock recordings I can see this would save you a lot of time.
📝 Reply