help? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help?
Old 18th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
help?

(its gear! honest!)

I have problems. This is NOT a mac vs pc debate, please don't even go there.

To back up: I've been dicking around trying to get audio and midi working on my pc for years. I had OK luck with a Gina card in my pc, but the noise
in the signal was rather bad. (and it died a horrible smoking death soon after)

Now I have a mac.(1 pb, 1 iLamp that my wife uses). I also have a pc. I have an event EZbus connected to event tria monitors. Here's the rub:

I run OSX and win2k. I would like to buy cubase SX. I would prefer to run it on the PB, as its portable, I can write on the road and get everything working when I get back to the house. Today I find on cubase.net that SX doesn't work with osx 10.2.3+ezbus, as there are issues of full duplex audio over usb.

What should I do? What would YOU do? I have quite a bit of gear(not pro, but still). I keep getting closer to where I want to be, but just can't get there. I'm very very tempted to just sell it all. I'm VERY sick of vendors selling buggy code/hw. Nothing just seems to work. I would much prefer to make music and not dick around trying to get this driver working with that, etc.
(I've been a UNIX sysadmin for 10 years, I prefer my hassles to be at work, not at home in my studio)

What would YOU do? Buy logic? wait for steinberg to fix SX to work with full duplex audio over USB? Please don't say "try motu"
or anything along those lines, firewire is nice but
more expensive than I can afford at this point. Should I try and get the PC working, even though it crashes with the ezbus plugged into it? (its 2k, bad midi. sure I can upgrade to xp, or downgrade to ME, but thats more hassle as well. plus I don't own xp, and thats more cash outlay)

help?

thx

toddler
Old 18th January 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hi Tod,
Personal opinion here.... I would wait abit till the EZBus and OSX issues are sorted.... If you dont wanna be a system admin at home follow your nose and go with the PB.
OSX isn't totally hassle free, but it has less hassles than any mainstream OS before it in my experience...
Apple posts updates to OSX every month or so, and I know for a fact that Doug Wyatt (main programmer of the new Audio/Midi Core system in OSX) used an EZBus for much of his testing, and this suggests to me that any issues wont be issues for long.....

You could go with the Tascam US428 as a budget USB based Audio Midi Interface, but It doesn't have the potential of the EZBus... as long as Event stick with it that is......

I'm sure you know that every OS has a transitional period.. OSX is having its right now.. from also ran novelty, to default OS to the Mac community...

Hope this is of help.

Al.
📝 Reply