Quantcast
splitting mic pre output signals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
splitting mic pre output signals
Old 17th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
splitting mic pre output signals

I'm looking into getting a new mic preamp, and I'd like to know how to go about routing a single output to two devices.

I like to have my mic pre's signal sent to a mixer (for monitoring only) as well as to the Digi001 (for recording). I use a Mackie mixer for monitoring to avoid hearing latency, and it works very well. I also have a Presonus Digimax, which lets me send audio via ADAT Litepipe to my computer while monitoring off the Digimax's analog outputs.

Some of my mic pres have two outputs, which makes this very easy. Most mic pres only have one XLR output for each channel. What is the best was to route the mic pre output to two inputs (one for monitoring at my mixer, and the other going into the Digi001)? Can I do a "mult" at my patchbay without degrading the signal? Is there a splitter box/device that I will need to do this without degrading the audio signal? I don't want to make my choice of preamp limited to pres that have two outputs, but for my work flow, it really helps.

I am also considering an RME (or other) A/D converter. The RME AD8 has ADAT Litepipe and analog outputs. I'm assuming I can monitor off the analog outputs while recording from the ADAT outputs. Correct? Any advise on the RME, or alternate, converters would be appreciated.

thanks,
dave patterson / knobville
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
why do you have so much latency with the 001? something is wrong...there should be a little but not that much! eveything degrades audio signal the staighter and shorter the path the better the quality .you could use a patchbay mult...or go thru your mixer first then bus out to the digi ..depending on the quality of your mixer.......but i would first figure out your latency problem....i have used 001 although mostly i use tdm and didn't find i needed to split any signals..exept for midi sound modules..
Old 18th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Gary,

The latency can be minimized with different buffer settings, but its always there to some degree. With timing critical instruments like drums its just unacceptable. With slower timed instruments and vocals, its tolerable for some, but why have to tolerate it at all? Using a mixer for monitoring eliminates latency, so that's the best solution I know of.

Using a buss on my mixer (Mackie) would be a last resort, as I don't want to put anything between the pre and the 001/computer to degrade the signal. That's why I'm asking about alternate ways to do this.

Anyone?

dave patterson
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
HI DAVE...USED A PROCO MIC SPLITTER FOR LIVE SOUND TO SPLIT THE HOUSE AND RECORDING FEED WORKED VERY WELL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Co • MS42A
Quad Mic Splitter

Pro Co Quad Mic Splitter • The MS-42A is used to split Lo-Z mes to two mixer inputs. Handy four channel unit in one cae with all connectors on one side...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Co • Mic Accessories
1 into 3 Microphone Splitter

1 Into 3 Microphone Splitter • The MS3 takes the signal from a low-Z balanced microphone and splits it between 3 mixers. The MS3 has one female XLR-type input and 3 male XLR-type outputs (1 direct and 2 isolated). The isolated outputs have ground lift switches, $130.

I GUESS THESE WOULD WORK..AS LONG AS YOU DIDN'T NEED TO DO ANY PUNCHINS....YOU WOULD ONLY HEAR INPUT.....GARY
Old 19th August 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Output impedence

David,

You probably wil not have a problem with an impedence mismatch splitting to only two inputs. The only real exceptions might be;
A. do your "split to" inputs have an unusually low Impedence(ohms) and
B. does your micpre have a marginal power supply
C. does the pre have a Xfmr output.

I have found nearly every thing built in the last 25 years is pretty forgiving due to the standardization of gear. Most line inputs are >2K ohm, typically 10Kohm. Splitting will give you 5K ohm that the pre's output must drive. This does load the pre's power supply a little, but it should not produce current limit distortion. Technically it does double, but from say from .02 to .04%thd is nothing to sweat.

A cheesey Xfmr might lose some freq response, but let your ears rule!!!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…