The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving files from Mac to PC
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Moving files from Mac to PC

I will be getting a project, to mix, that was tracked on a PT system, I think it's a mix system not HD. I'm using Nuendo on a dual PC, that is all SCSI. I know that Macs can import wave files so I'm assuming they can generate them. Is it possible to put a IDE drive into a Mac and dump wave files and then open that drive in a PC. I can put the IDE drive into another PC that is networked to the main audio box and move the files to my one of the SCSI audio drives. I've never moved a physical drive from a MAC to a PC, can anyone enlighten me? Take care Logan
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Kent
Thanks for the info. I have to admit to being a total twit about most computer related stuff, and although I've done a bit of work in PT facilities on a MAC I am woefully ignorant about the MAC.
The Master/ slave stuff goes without saying and I'm hip to those issues. The Firewire, et all, stuff is a complete mystery to me and my main gig is simply to track and mix at my facility and I handle archiving by sending projects in one large folder, that contains smaller folders for each song, to a seperate machine. I can then remove those drives for storage or give them to the client. My main audio machine, a dual P111, uses all scsi drives for both the system and apps drive and the audio files drive. I could load the IDE drive into it but I prefer not to mix IDE drives and SCSI drives as I seem to lose some disk speed when I do this, and my current network solution seems to work well for this type of thing.
I am a little unclear about the formatting issues you raise. Unfortunately since Plug and Play has become a factor I pay little attention to what happens when I install a new drive. Windows simply recognizes it and asks me what file protocol I want, NTFS or FAT32, is this what you are talking about? I currently use FAT32 on all my drives. I run on Windows 2000 PRO as an operating system.
In the past I have had outside projects delivered on discs with WAV files or Broadcast WAV files on CDR and I simply import them into Nuendo. But this is a huge project with lots of tracks and about 14 songs, so a drive seems to be the way to go. Take care Logan
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kent
[B]Well, if you have a Firewire port on you machine, and the client dumped their files from their session onto a Firewire drive for you; you could just transfer everything from the Firewire drive to your SCSI drives. Disconnect the Firewire drive and you're ready to rock.
It seems as if you could take the IDE drive that they will be giving to you, connnect it to your PIII machine and then transfer all the audio to your SCSI drives too. Afterward, you could just take the IDE drive out if you felt that you were taking a 'hit' in performance.
At least this is what I am able to guess based on the information in your second post.

It seems that you don't have a stand-alone drive formatting utility to hand. Nonetheless, it is highly probable that everything will work out fine based on what info you have given. I'd give it a try with a test drive. Be careful with using anything that is irreplaceable since Mac might state that the drive is unreadable and then ask you if you wish to format it. This probably won't happen though.

I'm dashing this reply off rather quickly as I have to be somewhere else in a few minutes. I'll check back in after a few hours. It is 4:20PM for me and I should be home around 7:30.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to be a bit more specific.

Kent
Thanks again. Unfortunately I don't have a firewire port, but will investigate that option for future work.
Yes I could stick the drive into the main machine and then remove it.
The drive we use will be a new one so there will be no data to lose, but thanks for the heads up.
I'll just stick the drive into my machine and let windows deal with it then send it to the other facility and see what happens.
This will take a while as we are dealing with different facilities in different cities and the client will be driving the hard drive to me then to the other facility and then back to me, I 'll let you know how it works out. thanks again and take care Logan
Old 6th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A PCI Firewire card would cost you about $40 US to add. I'm PC and use all Firewire now. It's not uncommon for my track counts to be in the 100 track range these days when mixing. On some occasions, 2 Firewire drives share the load.

I would HIGHLY recommend you install MacOpener on your PC. This will enable you to read/write/format any Mac media directly from your PC. The Mac disks will show up in Explorer just like a PC disk.

Then simply have the Mac dude export/render/bounce (whatever their app calls it) the audio as contiguous files, all with the same start time.

Benefits to doing this via a Firewire HD are speed and full, long filename preservation.

One last thing. PT appends all manner of proprietary data to their Wav files, and on some PC apps this can cause problems. Use StripWav to correct that issue, if it arises. Also, note that if you import the files from CD, they will be "read-only" and you will have to change that attribute before they can be rewritten, though XP does not have this issue, only Win9x. Another vote for Firewire HD.

Lastly, you can try to import an OMF file from the Mac. I wouldn't hold my breath on it working cross-platform, but hey, give it a shot. That might work, or not, from case to case. The method I describe will work 100 % of the time.

If this seems complex, it's not at all, after the first time. I mix PT projects in Paris on a PC frequently. In fact, PT files are how most of my mixing work comes in these days. The PT guys who want to mix in the box, but still have it sound good, send it over to me on a regular basis.

(Aww, come on guys. I've got to rib this PT dominated forum now and then.)

Regards,
Brian T
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Brian
Thanks, you and Kent have convinced me that firewire is the way to go ( this and the fact that the Mac dude only wants to do the export on firewire,;-)). Also the other info is priceless, exactly what I needed to know.
I just read a rumour on the 3DB board that suggest the G 5 may not have PCI slots so there may be quite a few less PT guys about to rib, if this is true. Can you see Digi getting a whole lot more interested in PCs?
Now who can tell me what firewire PCI card is good and what drives are reliable and do I need a caddy? Take care Logan
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Man, Kent and Brian you guys are the greatest, saved me at least a day of research and another day of pissing around. I figure I owe you both several beverages of your choice, so the next time you're in Elm Tree ......well maybe not but really thanks very much, take care Logan
πŸ“ Reply