Quantcast
Urgent help: need an USB drive for my G4 800 to authorize AMP FARM.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Urgent help: need an USB drive for my G4 800 to authorize AMP FARM..
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Urgent help: need an USB drive for my G4 800 to authorize AMP FARM..

Hi freinds! I have recently contacted all the forums I am subscribed to and seems that the VST kit Color from Smart Media shall be compatible with PT 5.1.1 TDm and G4 800 quicksilver. I live in Brazil, so most brands cannot be found on here. I found nice prices with smart media but they not come bundled with the "kit", something I dunno what has bunfdled with. They just say that the drive unit is refurbished an comes with the cable.
I want to authorize Amp Farm and Echo Farm. Shall anyone help me with this? any black magic involving drivers, models, collors or so?
Thanks In advance
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Alecio, why do you need the smartmedia drive for pro tools? Isn't amp farm authorized by an iLok? Forgive my denseness but I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you have an iLok and a G4, there should be no problem authorizing...The color kit, is AFAIK, a device for reading compact flash/smartmedia cards, so I'm not sure what use it'd be.
Maybe if you explain the problem in more detail it'll be easier to sort out!!
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi

Hi Madrigal!

I think you are thinking about PT HD and newer authorization styles.
I am still at PT MIX, 5.1.1. TDM.
Echo farm an AMP farm, as well as some other stuff from Digi, ( Masterlist for example) are/were authorized via floppy. Yes, they come with a CDrom either.
I think you misunderstood my request for help
Hope it is clear now
Nice 2003
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
ah - now I get it. In that case the color kit is gonna be no use to you, as it's not a USB floppy at all. It's a pain in the arse sometimes that the G4's don't have 3.5" drives, but if you get hold of someone with a laptop (PC variety) they should have a USB floppy you can borrow. Compatibility isn't usually an issue either, as practically all USB floppy drives ones will plug and play in the Mac just fine. That usually works for me in this situation anyway!

Old 3rd January 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Actually Madrigal thats not usually the case with late model G4's. I had some tough times when the Imition Supadrive's ceased production, trying to source a replacement for the authourisation task we used to use them for.

The Smartdisk (vst) models were the ones that sorted it though. I tryed Teac with no luck before them. In my experience you also need the correct extension (e.g version number) of the VST software for it to work also (version 2.1.6, there's a link on Digi's support site.) Oh. you need the USB floppy enabler extension too, but that should be installed when you installed 'Tools'

Al.
Old 10th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
TEAC USB floppy

The TEAC floppies DO work, it's just a bit of a dark art to get them going...

download the VST floppy driver from www.vsttech.com and the Pace floppy enabler (can't remember their URL - www.paceap.com?) - restart the mac, then unplug and re-plug the floppy drive... things should be fine. It's usually a good idea to disable the Pace extension after this.

Bottom line is it's 2003 - who at Digi still thought it was a good idea to use this method of authorisation!?

Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Rab! In fact last week I bought a VST unit of smart disk. Many thanks for the tips!
It will arrive only on february ( american friend will bring it to me) so I will have to examine these USB/pace extensios stuff

Hugs
Nice 2003
📝 Reply