Quantcast
Superclock from MTP AV-USB - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Superclock from MTP AV-USB
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Superclock from MTP AV-USB

I posted the following query on the duc, I hope you don't mind me posting it here as well:

Does anybody know if an 888/24 clocked to Superclock from a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV-USB will sound much worse than an 888/24 clocked internally. Unfortunately this sync scenario is unavoidable in my studio, but I was just wondering if it is likely to be having a detrimental effect on the sound. I'm going to A/B the two clocks myself. However, because it takes a considerable amount of time to change all the appropriate settings, I might find it hard judge. A second opinion would be good.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it takes 1 minute to change the setup ... ( if you are slow ) heh
i already posted my experience on the DUC . would be great to hear something like " ok " ( or whatever ) to know that youve read the reply .

good luck
Old 3rd January 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Steamy,
If you have to sync your rig to another recorder (or whatever) then you dont have a choice really but to clock from the MTPAV. However, much as I love MOTU and the versatility of the MTP, its known to have pretty bad jitter from its clock output. But then again it is a budget device compared to a USD or Sync I/O for beginners, Plus its a full Midi Interface so you have to take that into account.

I personnally prefer the 888 internal clock 'sound' to the MTP, but put a nanosync on there, and hear the difference again!

Al.

grggt
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cheers guys,

I have A/B'd the two clocks and after listening for ages the difference became clear. The MTP AV exhibited what I can only describe as subtle phasing. The 888/24 sounded much more open in comparison. At least now that I am aware of it I can choose to avoid it for tracking or submixing sources that don't require sync.

I'm mainly just sending LTC (or should that be TLC, LOL) to my Akai MPC60. This provides must of my sampled drums, although I use DP for the majority of my other MIDI sequencing. However, I do have to conclude that because the MTP AV is so functional I should really forgive it for its small shortcoming. I certainly couldn't justify buying a more expensive synchronizer just for the MPC60. I can record a lot of stuff from the MPC60 in mono, am I right in thinking this will make the phasing less noticeable?
Old 6th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could explain please?

I'm sorry I don't quite follow your example. The MPC60 can only send out MIDI clock and so must be slave when using MTC or LTC. I have the MOTU clocking internally. It sends MTC to the Mac (DP, PT, etc), LTC to the MPC60 and Superclock to the 888/24. The MOTU receives MMC from either the Mac or my Soundcraft Ghost. The Ghost is not an important part of the equation, it's just handy to be able to control things from the mixing console.

Are you suggesting I forget locking my timecode and wordclock together, and let the 888/24 clock internally? Won't the timecode and wordclock drift eventually? I thought this would force the audio to glitch or something. I can imagine that this is more relevent for those clocking to tape with varying speeds, etc - but what are the implications of having seperate clocks for timecode and wordclock?
πŸ“ Reply