The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
  #6241
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDad ➡️
I'm looking at another possibility - replace the Firewire card with USB-C, rather than Dante.

Is anyone else interested in that?

I have an interesting potential route to that which is possible in principle but I will need to talk to A&H next week to see if they'd provide the info and support needed.
I am interested... but then also see Dante as having a longer life. I'd see USB-C as being like firewire. It might disappear when the next thing comes along. Networking with RJ45 hasn't changed since coax was too slow.

I tell you what though, when firewire is not working, the desks seem to sell for about £280 or so... When fully working, £850. I am minded to buy every broken one I see and upgrade the firewire should there be a replacement.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
  #6242
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
I just have a hunch it will be quicker to put a USB solution in place for the R16 than Dante, so it would be an interim fix which will give the desk a good few more years.

USB-C isn't going anywhere for a while yet - most Dante kit is way too expensive for home/project studios at the moment anyway, at least 2-3x the price of USB, but makes lots of sense for pro/commercial studios.

The few R16's I've seen have been around £850-950 but that's asking price. I have often thought about getting a second one and chaining them as a poor-mans GS-R24...
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
  #6243
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland ➡️
Anybody ever get a full service done on their Zed R16? By A&H? Even if it costs me half the price of the mixer I would do it.

They should make a new version yes. Smaller, digital i/o on cards, no silly midi controller pots n buttons, I NEVER use them except for the transport. No EQ but inserts on every channel. D-Subs,16 mic pre.

Kind of like this but with a high end AD/DA.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/x-desk

Too busy to mess with hacks on this. I may go X-Desk with a Burl or similar.
I hit up Mike from A&H about a Mark II many moons ago - specifically with meters on all channels and a module approach to the I/O like the GSR-24
He said it was not on the cards.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #6244
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Probably because their main focus is live mixers and DJ rather than recording per se
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #6245
Yes, especially since SSL and A&H are now under the same roof.
Clearly studio equipment is SSL business and A&H is more live sound oriented.

https://www.gearnews.com/solid-state...er-audiotonix/

Any first hand input from A&H stuff about ZED r 16 modes are highly appreciated. If there is a way to keep this board running on latest OS I'm in.

Thanks mate
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #6246
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Don't get too excited, it might never happen. A&H may choose not to get involved, it's their product and their call in the end. Worth a punt though.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #6247
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Wonder if we could add motorised faders as well? :D
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #6248
Lives for gear
 
montanasan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've owned mine from new and have loved it. Only reason we're parting ways is because, with work, I need to be more mobile. Shame really.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
  #6249
Hi Carl,
There is an engineer, Hubert from UK, I've been chatting about getting full service of ZED R16. You can find him on eBay as yesterdaysoundtech.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/yestersoundtech
This was his reply
" The zed consoles are indeed really good and can be further modified to increase performance in all aspects, noise, distortion, crosstalk etc.

The only downside is that all active components are surface mount which increases the workload.

Prices for a recap and full upgrade start at £175 per mono channel, £250 for all other stereo modules.

Full desk upgrade and recap would cost £3,500 which might seem a lot but in reality you will end up with a console capable of outperforming any 10-15k console.

The full upgrade includes replacement of all op amps with high quality burr brown and analog devices parts. For recapping I use Panasonic and Elna Silmic II caps.

You could try a couple of channels before committing to the whole desk.

Regards,
Hubert

www.instagram.com/yestersound/

Pls keep us updated.
Cheers
Neno
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #6250
Gear Maniac
I do this too, and I'm in the u.s. and I also charge less. Also, I bias the 4580 into class A instead of changing to higher speed opamps. Sounds way better. I tried a bunch of high speed opamps and the class A biased 4580's I preferred by far.
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6251
Can you please share some of that alchemy with us?
What are the steps of biasing 4580 opamp into class A? Shame you are not in EU, I would definitely hire you to pimp my board
Cheers mate
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6252
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDad ➡️
I just have a hunch it will be quicker to put a USB solution in place for the R16 than Dante, so it would be an interim fix which will give the desk a good few more years.

USB-C isn't going anywhere for a while yet - most Dante kit is way too expensive for home/project studios at the moment anyway, at least 2-3x the price of USB, but makes lots of sense for pro/commercial studios.

The few R16's I've seen have been around £850-950 but that's asking price. I have often thought about getting a second one and chaining them as a poor-mans GS-R24...
I thought those were just asking prices but a recent one sold for £850 via auction. Meanwhile, another the week before sold for £300 perhaps with issues..

My two I bought in the last 6 months for around £230 or so each. One has the firewire issue, the other listing was vague and just said it needed a service because it hadnt been used for a long time and had noisy pots. I've not looked at either of them yet (have just moved into a studio space so now I can..).
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6253
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Arch ➡️
Can you please share some of that alchemy with us?
What are the steps of biasing 4580 opamp into class A? Shame you are not in EU, I would definitely hire you to pimp my board
Cheers mate
I don't know any more ... but have just googled it a little.

Here's an explainer:

https://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html

And it appears that once you know what works for an opamp, you can sometimes make just an adapter like these:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-...1#post-6012420

From the first article, those adapters in the photo are the most basic and are a "sub-optimal" way of biasing (with just a resistor).

But I could have got the wrong end of the stick..

Then again, there are electronics nerds shaking their heads in forums when people have biased opamps into class A, when the design of the circuit means the class-A bais would give higher distortion than without. In that case they recommend a change in op-amp instead.. (I'm just repeating what I'm reading around the net..).
Attached Thumbnails
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer-p1010119.jpg  

Last edited by nat8808; 4th March 2021 at 11:20 PM..
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6254
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth ➡️
It isn't designed to be removable like the Mackie Onyx card.


Straight from the head designer, these are the latency figures we have currently measured:-

48kHz S/R Buffer size = 128 bytes, latency = 4.5mS each way.
48kHz S/R Buffer size = 256 bytes, latency = 7mS each way.
96kHz S/R Buffer size = 256 bytes, latency = 4mS each way.
96kHz S/R Buffer size = 512 bytes, latency = 7mS each way.

Cheers.

Tom Oakes.
Way to slow for me. Good to know. Current system is sub 1ms each way.
Old 5th March 2021
  #6255
Here for the gear
Zed ARE 16 Pro Tools HUI Midi SOLVED (again)

Okay guys I don't know who this helps but I've FINALLY got the midi working again. I've updated the File I used to make the zed work in pro tools. Basically I discovered that the template Allen & heath used had one HUGE error in it. HUI protocol is supposed to send code 90 00 00 out to pro tools and the timer was sending B0 00 7F

anyway heres a link to everything I have for the midi with pro tools, I'm done I'm out seriously hope this helps someone. I will never remove this from my drive cause got damn Someone else should benefit off this nightmare lmao

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Av?usp=sharing


Also added a translator for in 90 00 00 out 90 00 7F for good measure

LAST I have moved all the mute, Solo, Record switch functions into separate presets so you only have to press the shift button to cycle through them

The + button cycles through other editable options and Shift will cycle back to Rec Solo Mute
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6256
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8808 ➡️
I don't know any more ... but have just googled it a little.

Here's an explainer:

https://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html

And it appears that once you know what works for an opamp, you can sometimes make just an adapter like these:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-...1#post-6012420

From the first article, those adapters in the photo are the most basic and are a "sub-optimal" way of biasing (with just a resistor).

But I could have got the wrong end of the stick..

Then again, there are electronics nerds shaking their heads in forums when people have biased opamps into class A, when the design of the circuit means the class-A bais would give higher distortion than without. In that case they recommend a change in op-amp instead.. (I'm just repeating what I'm reading around the net..).
Your reply is a bit misleading and that photo looks like a disaster waiting to happen for someone who is inexperienced. But yes, the resistor method, works fine in this case (just with a different mounting implementaion as that would not work on the zed board) and I've done extensive listening like I mentioned before between the class a biased 4580's and other more expensive opamps. I really don't have any skin in the game either way, but people can do what they want and waste their money.
Old 8th March 2021
  #6257
Here for the gear
A&H are going to update their MIDI files

So, this is half brag half info but I just got this message back from theA&H Canadian representative and they'll be sharing my files on their website soon so there's no more midi problems again for zed users!


So again If you feel like I helped you in any way please follow QL Of Landfill on any social media. I feel like after a month and a half of midi hell I deserve to throw out a bit of self promo 🤣 https://qloflandfill.com

The midi nightmare is finally over!
Attached Thumbnails
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer-screenshot_20210308-064719_gmail.jpg  

Last edited by QLOfLandfill; 8th March 2021 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Had to
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6258
Here for the gear
If you're still having issues I solved this 100%
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
  #6259
Here for the gear
 
R16-iMac-High Sierra Connection Issues!

Hi, New to Gearslutz, although I have been reading this brilliant thread for years. its's basically my tech support.

It's long and has gotten hardcore techie recently with people doing amazing mod-stuff!! I haven't managed to find my particular dilemma amongst it all ,( apologies if it is there somewhere and I've missed it)

My G5 dead a year or two ago and I recently got a new Mac which I'm trying to set up..

Is anybody here using the Zed R16 with a 2017 iMac ?

If so,whats the best way to connect comp to desk?

The only Apple adapter requires a third cheapo adapter to go from 400 to 800, and my iMac isn't recognising the desk.

Grateful for any help given.
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
  #6260
Here for the gear
I don't use an iMac but I do think your answer is somewhere in this thread or another one. Sorry I'm not more help but I spent enough time researching this thing lol. I remember seeing somewhere there was people talking about the proper connections to get it working on a system like that I think they said something about firewire to thunderbolt or something like that then back into the 400 or 800 first. Don't quote me on that but I'm fairly positive that's what I read. I know people have gotten it working In a way similar to that. I'm windows though sorry I couldn't be more help
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6261
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
R16 Firewire Driver on Big Sur?

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know if the R16 Firewire driver works on MacOS Big Sur (latest release)?

I just bought the R16, after having loved the GSr24m, but had to sell it in a, well, downsizing, so to speak.

So I was thrilled to see this at about $750, shipped! Can't wait to get it, but am realizing I might have to downgrade my OS to accommodate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrystle ➡️
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know if the R16 Firewire driver works on MacOS Big Sur (latest release)?

I just bought the R16, after having loved the GSr24m, but had to sell it in a, well, downsizing, so to speak.

So I was thrilled to see this at about $750, shipped! Can't wait to get it, but am realizing I might have to downgrade my OS to accommodate it.

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately ZedR16 Driver won't run on the Big Sur, someone here mentioned it got it running on Catalina... I can confirm it works flawlessly on Mojave.

I'm curious to hear how little sister fits in your new setup after owning GSr24m.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6263
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Arch ➡️
Unfortunately ZedR16 Driver won't run on the Big Sur, someone here mentioned it got it running on Catalina... I can confirm it works flawlessly on Mojave.

I'm curious to hear how little sister fits in your new setup after owning GSr24m.
Me too!

I didn't use the GSR24m motorized faders much outside of recall, rarely used the midi control (pure laziness), and never used the direct outs though I had visions of grandeur around them.

But I did use the valves and busses and extensive routing options--that was amazing. I loved the sound, especially during mixdown. Nice summing.

Thanks for the tips on the drivers. Looks like I'll be moving back to Catalina or getting a dedicated mini.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrystle ➡️
Me too!

I didn't use the GSR24m motorized faders much outside of recall, rarely used the midi control (pure laziness), and never used the direct outs though I had visions of grandeur around them.

But I did use the valves and busses and extensive routing options--that was amazing. I loved the sound, especially during mixdown. Nice summing.

Thanks for the tips on the drivers. Looks like I'll be moving back to Catalina or getting a dedicated mini.
It will be interesting to hear comparison from someone who used both boards.
Did you use A&H converters in GSr24m ?
Lately i'm finding that stereo converter on ZEDR16 master bus is weak link in mixdown situation(or it could be summing opamp). Would be interesting to hear you opinion.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6265
Lives for gear
 
augustusarnone's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Way back earlier in the thread, Mike from A and H said that he used a higher performance summing amp in the GSR24. He said with 16 channels it didn't matter as much, the noise/distortion of the main mix bus amp.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6266
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Arch ➡️
It will be interesting to hear comparison from someone who used both boards.
Did you use A&H converters in GSr24m ?
Lately i'm finding that stereo converter on ZEDR16 master bus is weak link in mixdown situation(or it could be summing opamp). Would be interesting to hear you opinion.
I used the A&H converters. Felt they were quite good but my ears are old.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6267
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone ➡️
Way back earlier in the thread, Mike from A and H said that he used a higher performance summing amp in the GSR24. He said with 16 channels it didn't matter as much, the noise/distortion of the main mix bus amp.
From Allen & Heath Support:

"Hi C,

Thanks for the message.

Official support is listed up to High Sierra. Though, we have had reports of this working on Mojave and even possibly Catalina with the v4.3.1 driver release. That said, we can confirm Apple's latest release with OS 11 & new hardware is the end of the road for support on devices such as the ZEDR. It's just a case of technology and architecture becoming outdated. Apple has also confirmed this on their website.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210999

Continuing to use the ZEDR with Apple's advancements, many users are adopting one of the following two methods.

Remaining on a legacy OS to remain compatible.
Using ADAT on the ZED card with a third-party ADAT interface. ADAT will give you 16 in 16 out when running in full ADAT mode. And will be capped at 48kHz sample rate. The MIDI will still work independently from the DIN out socket.
I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Luke


Luke Wall
Product Support Engineer
Xone | ZED | Model 1
Allen & Heath Product Support"
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrystle ➡️
From Allen & Heath Support:

"Hi C,

Thanks for the message.

Official support is listed up to High Sierra. Though, we have had reports of this working on Mojave and even possibly Catalina with the v4.3.1 driver release. That said, we can confirm Apple's latest release with OS 11 & new hardware is the end of the road for support on devices such as the ZEDR. It's just a case of technology and architecture becoming outdated. Apple has also confirmed this on their website.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210999

Continuing to use the ZEDR with Apple's advancements, many users are adopting one of the following two methods.

Remaining on a legacy OS to remain compatible.
Using ADAT on the ZED card with a third-party ADAT interface. ADAT will give you 16 in 16 out when running in full ADAT mode. And will be capped at 48kHz sample rate. The MIDI will still work independently from the DIN out socket.
I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Luke


Luke Wall
Product Support Engineer
Xone | ZED | Model 1
Allen & Heath Product Support"
Thanks for sharing that.
As much as I know you have to have ZedR16 connected to computer even if it's in full ADAT mode, otherwise it won't sync.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6269
Lives for gear
 
augustusarnone's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Arch ➡️
Thanks for sharing that.
As much as I know you have to have ZedR16 connected to computer even if it's in full ADAT mode, otherwise it won't sync.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
That is correct
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6270
OSX Catalina

Hey Gearspacers
I can confirm that ZEDR16 drivers are working flawlessly on OSX Catalina, iMac 2017.
I just update from OSX Mojave to Catalina and it worked, no additional steps or SIP disabling needed

Cheers
Neno
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4615 views: 609329
Avatar for kire
kire 4 hours ago
replies: 2042 views: 471914
Avatar for Adlen
Adlen 20th March 2012
replies: 97 views: 36309
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 50 views: 11542
Avatar for divemedia
divemedia 29th January 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump