Old 13th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Will Do! Thnx for your help, DJ!
Old 14th March 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
iac bus with zed r16

morning afternoon everyone (depends on location)

hi im having trouble with using east standalone with logic.
I have done this with my old sound cards. My goal is to have the zed r16 muilt outs from differnet east west intruments using iac buses.
Use the inserts/outs of the zed then back into the inputs of the zed. So then my standalone east east goes out the channels then in logic with audio inputs the same as the outputs of the satndalone apps. here a link to what I mean Using East West PLAY as a Standalone with Logic - YouTube
so my problem instandalone play the outsput 1-2 only work. not sure what to do thinkking maybe some of yous have used the zed using iac bus drivers to free up to cpu thanks for any help.
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➑️
Well that sounds hopeful...good luck.
Report back if you get the time..
After a huge hassle getting the FW drivers setup, I discovered that it wasn't the ADAT. Channels 9-12 don't work on FW either ... and I belatedly found out that 13-16 do work on ADAT.

Apparently something defective in the converter.

Very distressing and very frustrating.

Prado
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmaniac ➑️
Has anyone had any luck in getting Waveburner to display outputs 17-18 as an option for playback. In the preferences I only get the options for
1-2 up to 15-16.

I have managed to get all other audio suites to output to 17-18 (including Itunes) but these all showed this as an option - not so in Waveburner.

Thanks again for your help - this forum has been brilliant in smoothing my transition from PC to Mac.
I'm having this problem using waveburner - can anyone help, need to send the output to 17-18 but it's not an option in Waveburner's prefs.
cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prado escondido ➑️
After a huge hassle getting the FW drivers setup, I discovered that it wasn't the ADAT. Channels 9-12 don't work on FW either ... and I belatedly found out that 13-16 do work on ADAT.

Apparently something defective in the converter.

Very distressing and very frustrating.

Prado
That seems strange, I've never heard of "part" of an ADAT port failing?
But then not knowing what exactly you have hooked up to what I can't say.
Are you talking about the ZED's ADAT or some other part of your setup?
Just a thought but I would simplify your hookup and start by only hooking up one piece to your computer at a time and test each separately.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That seems strange, I've never heard of "part" of an ADAT port failing?
But then not knowing what exactly you have hooked up to what I can't say.
Are you talking about the ZED's ADAT or some other part of your setup?
Just a thought but I would simplify your hookup and start by only hooking up one piece to your computer at a time and test each separately.
DJ ... I don't explain well apparently. I cannot believe there are separate DACs for the ADAT and FW. They must share them, no?

Channels 9-12 don't work over ADAT or over FW. So its not "part" of the ADAT that's not working, it's "part" of the DACs.

As far as a step by step hook up, that no longer makes sense. From my ADAT hookup 9-16, 9-12 don't work and 13-16 do work. From FW hookup 9-12 don't work and 13-16 do. How can this be a connection issue? There's only one light pipe cable from ADAT 9-16 for in and one for out. There's only one FW cable for all the channels.

Prado

Last edited by prado escondido; 16th March 2012 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: clarity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
DJ ... I don't explain well apparently. I cannot believe there are separate DACs for the ADAT and FW. They must share them, no?

Channels 9-12 don't work over ADAT or over FW. So its not "part" of the ADAT that's not working, it's "part" of the DACs.

As far as a step by step hook up, that no longer makes sense. From my ADAT hookup 9-16, 9-12 don't work and 13-16 do work. From FW hookup 9-12 don't work and 13-16 do. How can this be a connection issue? There's only one light pipe cable from ADAT 9-16 for in and one for out. There's only one FW cable for all the channels.

Prado
I guess what I was getting at was have you hooked up JUST the ZED via FW without any other equipment plugged into your computer?
Disconnect everything else. Remove any cards or sound devices from your computer including all FW devices and see if the ZED and just it's drivers are recognized.
You already know your RME stuff all works the way it was before so remove all of that and see if the ZED works properly on it's own with your computer.
Don't worry about the ADAT until you can get that working correctly.
If it works that way then add an ADAT device to the ZED and see if the computer recognizes all 28 channels from the ZED.
Everything your having problems with seem to be after you bought the ZED and related to trying to add the ZED with all the RME stuff...
You need to start at square one...or take the ZED back...but it sounds like you've done that already so that starts to sound like your doing something wrong...most people haven't had problems with the ZED.
What did A&H support do to help? Did they have any answers?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The first unit I had, which was purportedly new, had a damaged channel fader ... it was frozen and wouldn't move ... and the lights on the midi section controls did not operate. It looked as though it had been returned, but not properly inspected and reshipped.

So, I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I have spent hours on support with Sweetwater, the retailer, and exchanged e-mails with Allen & Heath. The last thing A&H told me was to update the firmware and check to see if the channels that were not functioning, functioned on FW. I did as asked and responded. I am waiting to hear from them.

I appreciate the total isolation breakdown approach as well as the time you've spent trying to help me.

But I don't think you are seeing this correctly, possibly because you do not understand the RME hardware and the TotalMix mixer software. If I am connecting over ADAT to my computer like this: ADAT Equip (R16) > ADAT Interface Hardware (RME) > to Computer, what is in my computer has no bearing on the ADAT Equp/ R16.

Were I connected FW, I would agree with you that it could affect it.

If I know my ADAT interface is properly communicating with my computer, as I can check other equipment through the ports ... all working, any problem must be a communication between the ADAT/ R16 and the RME.

If I reroute cables and ports between them, and all ADAT/1-8 channels out always works and ADAT/9-16 channels 13-16 out always work, but ADAT/9-16 channels 9-12 never work, it must be something internal to the R16. As you yourself said, all the data is coming down a single lightpipe from the ADAT 9-16 connector.

Now, when after checking and rechecking all this, I connect via FW and have the exact result, how can it be anything other than the something to do with the DACs related to channels 9-12? If ADAT weren't working, I wouldn't be getting normal behavior from channels 13-16.

That's why I think your suggestion at this point in the troubleshooting no longer makes sense.

But, I sincerely appreciate your help!

Como

Last edited by prado escondido; 16th March 2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: clarity
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The first unit I had, which was purportedly new, had a damaged channel fader ... it was frozen and wouldn't move ... and the lights on the midi section controls did not operate. It looked as though it had been returned, but not properly inspected and reshipped.

I have spent hours on support with Sweetwater, the retailer, and exchanged e-mails with Allen & Heath. The last thing A&H told me was to update the firmware and check to see if the channels that were not functioning, functioned on FW. I did as asked and responded. I am waiting to hear from them.

I appreciate the total isolation breakdown approach as well as the time you've spent trying to help me.

But I don't think you are seeing this correctly, possibly because you do not understand the RME hardware and the TotalMix mixer software. If I am connecting over ADAT to my computer like this: ADAT Equip (R16) > ADAT Interface Hardware (RME) > to Computer, what is in my computer has no bearing on the ADAT Equp/ R16.

If I know my ADAT interface is properly communicating with my computer, as I can check other equipment through the ports ... all working, any problem must be a communication between the ADAT/ R16 and the RME.

If I reroute cables and ports between them, and all ADAT/1-8 channels out always works and ADAT/9-16 channels 13-16 out always work, but ADAT/9-16 channels 9-12 never work, it must be something internal to the R16. As you yourself said, all the data is coming down a single lightpipe from the ADAT 9-16 connector.

Now, when after checking and rechecking all this, I connect via FW and have the exact result, how can it be anything other than the something to do with the DACs related to channels 9-12? If ADAT weren't working, I wouldn't be getting normal behavior from channels 13-16.

That's why I think your suggestion at this point in the troubleshooting no longer makes sense.

Como
OK yes I was trying to eliminate any variables and isolate each component....but sounds like you've done all that....sounds like you got another bad ZED from Sweetwater!....I assume Sweetwater will replace it?
I've heard they are very good at keeping happy customers!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OK yes I was trying to eliminate any variables and isolate each component....but sounds like you've done all that....sounds like you got another bad ZED from Sweetwater!....I assume Sweetwater will replace it?
I've heard they are very good at keeping happy customers!
Yes, they treat customers very well. I expect one way or the other they will take care of me.

Prado
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnealy ➑️
Go to "settings," >"synchronization," >"midi,">"listen to mmc input"
hi everyone, looking for some advice please (what else!)

I have just got the zed set up today and have had a frustrating time trying to get it working with Logic 9. I loaded the latest firmwire 3.5.6.116756.

I have done the set up routine of holding down rec, then 1, then rec and 1 together, switching off then on again.

I have the 'Listen to MMC input' checked.

The transport controls do not work at all.

Using the learn function does not work.

The Zed does not appear in the control surfaces list, but it is in the A&H FW Control Panel so all hooked up ok it seems.

I used to use a Korg nano kontrol so perhaps that is causing problems somehow?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers, simon
Old 17th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ mrbump.

EDITED:
Sorry i just realized my post wouldn't make sense in this case.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Como
Prado I have nothing of value to add other than I am running my R16 into an RME PCIE raydat through total mix successfully. So RME and the Zed do play together nicely. It was recommended that the Zed drivers be totally removed from my computer due to conflicts between the RME drivers and the Zed drivers. Based upon the thread I don't recall seeing where you deleted the Zed software and drivers off your system completely. They are not required in any way to operate through ADAT and RME. Just an idea...good luck.

Ross
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H ➑️
Prado I have nothing of value to add other than I am running my R16 into an RME PCIE raydat through total mix successfully. So RME and the Zed do play together nicely. It was recommended that the Zed drivers be totally removed from my computer due to conflicts between the RME drivers and the Zed drivers. Based upon the thread I don't recall seeing where you deleted the Zed software and drivers off your system completely. They are not required in any way to operate through ADAT and RME. Just an idea...good luck.

Ross
Hey, Ross ... I've been hoping someone would show up with a similar setup.

1st, I don't seem to have any issues with both drivers installed on my system. I had to install the A&H FW drivers to do the trouble shoot directed by A&H ... which was how I discovered channels 9-12 weren't working on FW, either. It was after that, without uninstalling he A&H drivers, that I discovered channels 13-16 were working fine ADAT connected to the Digiface. But I'll keep your comment in mind. I don't know if there are reasons to upgrade the firmware if you don't use FW, but you can only do that with the DICE control and audio drivers installed, AFAIK.

BTW, who recommended to remove the ZED drivers and due to what issue or issues?

2nd, are you then using the R16 as the master clock? I've learned that you can set the R16 to slave to the RME device through the DICE control panel. What I still haven't been able to get an answer to is whether the lock is maintained after the DICE control is shut down and/ or the FW cable is disconnected.

I'd assumed I'd prefer the clock from the RME, but if you know different, I'd love to hear about it.

Prado

Last edited by prado escondido; 17th March 2012 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: Add question
Old 17th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➑️
hi everyone, looking for some advice please (what else!)

I have just got the zed set up today and have had a frustrating time trying to get it working with Logic 9. I loaded the latest firmwire 3.5.6.116756.

I have done the set up routine of holding down rec, then 1, then rec and 1 together, switching off then on again.

I have the 'Listen to MMC input' checked.

The transport controls do not work at all.

Using the learn function does not work.

The Zed does not appear in the control surfaces list, but it is in the A&H FW Control Panel so all hooked up ok it seems.

I used to use a Korg nano kontrol so perhaps that is causing problems somehow?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers, simon
I had a similar problem with my midi section. I was able to fix it by downgrading the firmware to 3.3 I think. Once I did that I was able to see the zed in logic and midi learn works fine. Not sure what OS you are on though. Im using snow leopard.

Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your reply JaRey, I'll give that a try today. I am also on Snow Leopard.

I logged a ticket with A&H last night so hope they'll come back to me soon, Monday I guess.

I also realised I have Novation's Automap installed. Could this be causing an issue as well? Don't really want to uninstall that as have my plugins mapped nicely to that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tried the firmware version before and that didn't work either. Hmm..
Old 18th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I uninstalled Automap and the transport functions then worked. However, the learn function would map two faders at a time (say channel 1 and randomluy 14, or the master output).

So I re-installed the drivers and firmware again, trying various versions, and I'm back to nothing working.

For now I've abandoned it unfortunately. Very keen to crack on using it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➑️
I uninstalled Automap and the transport functions then worked. However, the learn function would map two faders at a time (say channel 1 and randomluy 14, or the master output).

So I re-installed the drivers and firmware again, trying various versions, and I'm back to nothing working.

For now I've abandoned it unfortunately. Very keen to crack on using it!
FWIW...AutoMap is a bug trap especially with any other MIDI controller.
It caused all sorts of quirky behavior in other stuff....it was nuts...then I started having BSOD and lockups. Finally I got some clue and realized it was AutoMap...even tried installing it again after everything settled down and was working good....right back to the same thing....took it out and I've never had a problem since....just saying..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's useful thanks about Automap.

I still seem to have plugins that are automap wrapped - and it does say to unwrap all plugins in the plugin manager before uninstalling.

I couldn't find the plugin manager though in version 4.3 of automap to do so??????
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Right ok. Re-installed Automap to be able to unwrap all plugins properly.

Then uninstalled Automap 100%. Previous Logic tracks using automapped plugins now can't find them - so all traces of automap are gone.

Then re-installed drivers and firmware again for Zed. That's all ok.

Now I can see the Zed is transmitting midi from the transport buttons and faders ok (you can see 127 appear as a value in the transport section if you hit play for example, slide a fader and the value rises from 0-127 etc).

But Logic won't recognise the Zed as a device in the Controller set up and even with the MMC ticked it does not respond to the transport controls.

Is there any other setting within Logic I should be aware of please?

Going slightly mad now..

Many thanks for any help.

cheers, simon
Old 19th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Other than resetting the MIDI on the ZED to default (in the manual)...it must be a problem with Logic.
Maybe someone with Logic will know...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mixdown output?

My replacement ZED R16 is on its way ... but in the meantime, I'm trying to scheme out a couple issues.

I intend to use the unit strictly with the two ADAT i/o pairs, not firewire.

That means I won't have a mixdown stereo out.

I have the option of running the stereo mains out to analog inputs on a Multiface, or recording them through an A Designs Pacifica input through the Multiface, which might enhance the sound.

I have a couple questions ... the first displaying some ignorance. Can I simply direct connect the ZED R16 stereo outs to the Pacifica ins with the xlr connections? Or?

Anyone have opinion whether using the Pacifica would have much practical benefit?

Would some other outs off the board give equally satisfactory results were I to want to save the main xlr outs for some other use?

(I'd even considered routing the mains back through channels 15 & 16, but worry I might inadvertently engage that little 'L/R' switch on the channels. Probably not a good idea.)

Thanks!

Prado

Last edited by prado escondido; 19th March 2012 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: clarity
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You would have to pad the outputs on the Zed. You don't want to run line outs to mic in's.. I built pads in my patchbay so I can run gear that's at line level into different pres for different color.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey ➑️
You would have to pad the outputs on the Zed. You don't want to run line outs to mic in's.. I built pads in my patchbay so I can run gear that's at line level into different pres for different color.
Thanks!

Can you direct me to info about 'pads.' I assume it is some type of attenuator. Never mind: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/. But I'm afraid assembling them from components is way over my pay grade!

You said you built them, are there patch bays with them already installed? Are there simple 'free standing' units that you just run the chain through?

And then I found this for digestion: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+sit...iw=929&bih=592.

But I'd still appreciate any recommendation for an off the shelf product, if they exist.

The more I read, the more complicated this seems to get. My preamp has -20dB pads ... but pads alone don't address impedence.

The inline pads I've found so far, Shure A15AS, also simply drop dB, but don't appear to change impedence.

Prado

Last edited by prado escondido; 19th March 2012 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: update
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep the first link shows you how to do it.

If you can solder a little. It's really easy. It's just resistors.. Doesn't have to be on a bay just was easy for me because I had open space and could wait to order a box..

I build pedals for a living so I could have used a small box but liked the idea of it in the bay. You can buy already made units. But they can cost a good bit..
And if you can solder a few resistors to leads in a jack then your price is only the cost of resistors.. You can order some Dale's. Or if you have a buddy who can solder.

If not look at already build ones.. A-design has a unit for 2ch's called the Atty which is nice cause you get a pot on it to trim the balance going to your pres.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey ➑️
A-design has a unit for 2ch's called the Atty which is nice cause you get a pot on it to trim the balance going to your pres.
Thanks again.

I'm stuck on the adjusting for proper impedance issue ... but I'll take a look at the ATTY.

Prado
Old 20th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A&H Reply:

Quote:
Thanks again.

I'm stuck on the adjusting for proper impedance issue ... but I'll take a look at the ATTY.

Prado
Hi Prado,

The outputs from the ZED-R16 will happily drive the inputs to the Pacifica (as long as 48V is off!) but I'm not sure why you'd want to put a pre-amp in line with an output from the console. You'd need to pad the signal in order to maintain headroom (I think the Pacifica has a 20dB pad).
Instead, why not connect the ZED-R16 analogue 2 track out directly to the Multiface? You would get a cleaner signal path.

Have you received a replacement R16 yet? From your previous posts, it does sound like there is a hardware issue because, as you correctly said, the channels 9-12 share a converter with 9-16. The fact that the channels are missing on both FW and ADAT points to a hardware issue too.

Keep in touch via PM, or Support - I'm sure the problem can be resolved - it's a standard setup using ADAT channel 1-16 instead of FireWire.

Kind regards,
Mike.
Old 20th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Other than resetting the MIDI on the ZED to default (in the manual)...it must be a problem with Logic.
Maybe someone with Logic will know...
Thanks. I've taken it up with Absolute Music tech support and sent them a MIDI Monitor report of what the desk is outputting on various faders and knobs. So hopefully we'll work through what we need to do to get it hooked up ok.

Good things come to those who wait - apparently!
πŸ“ Reply