Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cool Any Creamware SFP user here?

am i the only one?
Old 15th December 2002
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hi Alfonso,
I'm sure your not alone. I have a Pulsar 1 and Powersampler. Though they're not in a Computer at the moment. I hope to change that in the near future....

Al.
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
very well!

when you install them, if you need advice or just to exchange ideas, i'll be glad to contribute....
i'm also very involved in the modular stuff....and if you have only modular1 (it was included with pulsar1 software) there are nice patches also for that...it runs on every cw card without activation.

if you have modular2 or 3, well, you own a beast!

nothing compares with cw modular soundwise...it's the warmest and more realistic circuitry emulation you can have.

let me know...ciao
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello Alfonso....

I am also a SFP user (I have a Pulsar II and a SRB)

However....I am using Mac OSX more and more these days so the CW stuff isn't getting used until they release their software for OSX.

Am thinking about selling it...(dunno though....those synths are just terrific)...

Anyway....there are a couple of us here :D
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hi kamurah, well to quote a record i didn't like...and then they were three!

i run everything on pc, that was a choice because in 1999 i've built my daw around pulsar...

but don't sell it! well you have to wait a bit....

maybe you could also build a small pc with a nice asus tusl2c mobo(great pci bandwidth-i load 8 cw masterverbs) and an economical PIII 1gig and some pc133 ram with very few bucks, put the creamware cards in there, communicate via midi and adat ports and use it as a realtime sound and processing outboard unit! if you don't run a sequencer in it, you don't need a powerful machine or more than 1 hd. you don't need even to keep the asio drivers in the project, as you just communicate via hardware! just 512k of ram (tusl2c doesn't accept more) for samples to load in sts 3000....it's really economical, and if you have a nice card with adat i/o and a tight midi on mac....
and then can be useful to have a little pc too, with the tons of nice apps....and for the os? well , 98se, economical, easy and perfect if you don't need to run many things...

ciao!
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good to meet you Alfonso

Will SFP run on XP or is it 98se only?

I must admit I am a total dumbass when it comes to specs on a PC.....I've been a Mac user for so long.....

I may do just what you suggest though....I really love the sound of the CW synths and effects.....

Hope you don't mind....maybe I could pick your brain about this and come up with a cheap PC system that will run SFP reliably?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
sfp runs with xp and 98se, i've tried both the systems, because when i bought the cubase sx upgrade it was installable only in xp, but now steinberg made sx also for 98.

basically i prefer 98se, it's more efficient, and on my daw i have a swappable tray for the system disk, and i must say that i work with 98se.

i think that sfp works better with 98se

xp has to be tweaked lot, otherwise it eats very large amounts of ram.

after that you install 98 there are just a couple of things to do,
i'll be glad to give you support when is the moment.
i recommend also, if you don't use that machine for internet, or at least you don't need internet explorer, to "eradicate" it.
micro$oft says that is not possible, but there is a little program that does it perfectly, and it's freeware:

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

they also have professional versions, good for programmers, but the freeware IEradicator rocks, and it's a must for daws.
98se simply changes personality, getting much faster and reliable.

i'm currently very satisfied with my machine, i choosed a PIII system, altough very powerful, as PIV is not perfectly going imho, and amd is crap.

i have:

asus tusl2c mobo
pentium III-s 1.26
512 MB Mushkin rev3+ Ram pc 133
2X40gig maxtor hd ata 133 running at ata100(mobo limit, but very fast)
plextor 24-10-40.

i keep audio hd on the second ide channel alone, while system disk is together with the burner.

this machine kicks ass, expecially the pentium III-s, that is a server processor with double 2nd level cache, is not recommended by intel and asus in combination with this mobo, but many experienced geeks know that it's a very reliable and powerful combination. the problem should be that the mobo gives the processor 1.46-1.47 volts instead of 1.45, but it's a ridiculous difference, the worst that can happen is that the processor will have a lifetime of 9 years and 8 months instead of 10 years! considering technology's advancement in two years....

but for the purpose of just having sfp on ,you can get also a pentiumIII 1 Ghz, they are very cheap now.

avoid as hell "via" chipsets. they have a very narrow pci bandwidth, you load less of the half of reverbs in a pci card with them.

ok for now!

ciao
πŸ“ Reply