The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yet another open standard soapbox
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yet another open standard soapbox

I gotta say that I love open standards. It just makes sense. I've been doing some research about using Linux as an audio platform and I've come up with these conclusions. I'd like to hear all of your opinions on this:

Linux is:

Cheap
Stable
Easy to use
Usable on x86 and Power PC (no more stupid wars!)
Expandable
Open
Built by a strong community of developers who seem to be motivated by quality, not world domination.

I've come acoss several cool DAW apps for Linux that I feel that I could sit right down and use immediately. I know that there is not much of a user base right now but there probably will be in the very near future. Thoughts??
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At digiworld UK a couple of weeks ago I remember the digi guys saying that PT6.0 / OSX was Linux based ...
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
At digiworld UK a couple of weeks ago I remember the digi guys saying that PT6.0 / OSX was Linux based ...
Yeah, Linux is based on Unix, so that's promising, but not open. I'm getting ready to try our Ardour here and I'm hoping for good results on Yellow Dog Linux. YDL is a great operating system, especially for 29.95
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Good thing for Mac dudes is that it'll be easier for people to write plugins/software for Pro Tools now it's in OSX, but you won't see me upgrading to some possibly buggy operating sys in the near future.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Cape
Good thing for Mac dudes is that it'll be easier for people to write plugins/software for Pro Tools now it's in OSX, but you won't see me upgrading to some possibly buggy operating sys in the near future.
Are you referring to OSX or Linux? Both OS's are quite stable, and from what I've used audiowise in OSX I've been pretty happy. Linux remains to be seen, but I think that the openness of the platform will eventually lead to huge increases in power and stability for audio users.

BTW, Wal Mart is now selling Linux based computers on their website for $199. If this catches on then we will be seeing more development in pro markets as well.
Old 14th December 2002
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Guys,
I can see the attraction of Linux. And I'd personally love to see it topple Windows in the future. But its way too early for it to be considered by musicians (proffesionals especially) as a serious DAW platform. There's just too much stuff thats either non-GUI or you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what it says on the box etc...

On wintel based hardware, you still dont see every piece of hardware having Linux drivers available. Dont get me wrong. I love the idea, and I hope it developes into a serious challenger, but I reckon we're about 5 years away from that yet.

Al.
Old 15th December 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Unix does not have a good reputation for real-time applications such as audio workstations. If it were easy, the academic community would have a huge legacy of workstation applications by this time and the move to Apple's System X would have been done a couple years ago.

The closest thing I think we'll ever see to an "open standard" is the AES-31 file format. Beyond that there's just too much work involved in creating and debugging an effective workstation. By effective, I mean one that doesn't get in the way of making a recording. In fact, I expect to see hardware-based applications evolve that are dedicated to accomplishing specific tasks. Peoples' time is just too valuable to screw around with a Swiss Army Knife if a power screwdriver becomes available.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I appreciate all of the input, but I think that the Linux/unix thing has a lot more going for it then the surface would show. There is a workstation coming out that is as user friendly as any other DAW, has drivers for a bunch of popular interfaces, uses 64 bit internal procesing, and will be free. It will also allow you to use low cost computer clusters to divide and conquer as it were, doing effets on one machine, moxing on another, synths on another, and the technology is open.
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For anyone following this thread check out this link:

http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Audio-Video/

I agree that it's not there at this precise moment, but I am of the opinion that recording engineers of today have the same power to improve digital tools as did our predacessors with analog tools. Most of these guys that are doing all of these "open" programs are programmers only and are approaching it from that standpoint. Feel free to contact these guys and tell them what you need and I'm sure that this will be a very nice system in a short time.
πŸ“ Reply