Quantcast
MOTU 828 MKIII - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828 MKIII
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
MOTU 828 MKIII

Anyone tried it yet? Does it sound better then the MKII? How are the inbuild effects (reverb etc.)?

Regards,

Roger
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Still not shipped I guess
Looks cool anyway
Old 22nd February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I think the analog limiter is a pretty cool feature. I wish they'd make an 8 pre with that. Seems more useful on mic pres than line ins in a way... my reasoning being that something coming thru a mic is more likely to be very dynamic and spike vs something coming in thru a line in such as a keyboard or effects box. Although obviously you could hook a mic pre up to the line in and use the feature.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold โžก๏ธ
I think the analog limiter is a pretty cool feature. I wish they'd make an 8 pre with that. Seems move useful on mic pres than line ins in a way... my reasoning being that something coming thru a mic is more likely to be very dynamic and spike vs something coming in thru a line in such as a keyboard or effects box. Although obviously you could hook a mic pre up to the line in and use the feature.
Yes, it makes sense.
I believe this new DSP wil be part of all forthcoming new interfaces.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Right, makes sense the DSP is here to stay... but keep in mind the limiter is ANALOG. If it wasn't it'd be pointless... the whole point is to keep your signal from overing in the A/D process. If it limited it in DSP it would be too late!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
The limiter is a DSP model based on UA LA-2A. It is super fast, and is at near zero latency. Like a little TDM.
This is why it's so exciting!
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Cool indeed. I wonder what the quality of the reverb will be. Also, wondering if RME with the Fireface line will come up with something like this too?

Regards,

Roger
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
From Motus Website: 828mk3 Expansion & driversExpand your 828mk3 system and run it with all your favorite audio software.

Adding more I/O to your 828mk3 systemAs with other MOTU FireWire interfaces, the 828mk3 supplies two FireWire jacks so it can be daisy-chained with additional MOTU FireWire audio interfaces or other devices.

The 828mk3 is also fully compatible with the 8pre, a single rack MOTU interface that adds 8 mic preamp inputs to the 828mk3. Because the 8pre connects to the 828mk3 via ADAT optical, its mic inputs are fully integrated into the 828mk3's on-board CueMix FX digital mixer.

Drivers and AudioDesk workstation softwareThe 828mk3 provides CueMix FX and drivers for Mac (OS X) and Windows (XP and Vista) for cross-platform compatibility with virtually all audio software via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers.

The 828mk3 includes AudioDeskยฎ, the advanced workstation software for Mac OS X with 24-bit recording and editing, along with 32-bit mixing, processing and mastering.

MOTU.com - 828mk3 Overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold โžก๏ธ
I think the analog limiter is a pretty cool feature. I wish they'd make an 8 pre with that. Seems more useful on mic pres than line ins in a way... my reasoning being that something coming thru a mic is more likely to be very dynamic and spike vs something coming in thru a line in such as a keyboard or effects box. Although obviously you could hook a mic pre up to the line in and use the feature.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
You can put any signal that comes from Adat (it has 2 Adat in/out = 16 Channels).
You could put, say, Digimax in the first Adat in and TLA M1 in the other, and mix everything inside Cuemix with fx and dynamics
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
does anyone have any idea if this comes with a rackmount kit? the pictures on the website don't show any rack ears. =/
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Still no idea if they did upgrade the converters? Also, how is the quality of the reverb? These 2 make a whole lot of difference...

Regards,

Roger
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
1-yes it comes with rackmount ears
2-yes, heard they are -at least- as traveler converters
3-reverb...have no idea
Old 24th February 2008 | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I pre-ordered one from Musician's Friend using a 20% off coupon. I'm anxious to see how it's going to work alongside my Traveler.

Brad
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr โžก๏ธ
Cool indeed. I wonder what the quality of the reverb will be. Also, wondering if RME with the Fireface line will come up with something like this too?

Regards,

Roger
I hope it's better than eVerb!
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Is that 20% coupon available to all?

D -
Old 28th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortnyc โžก๏ธ
Is that 20% coupon available to all?

D -
- don't think so, if it's like the one I have...
Old 28th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'm thinking about one of these as extra AD/DA, digital mixer, etc. The DSP effects are very interesting, but it seems you can't really use them as traditional plug-ins.

That aside, I wonder how many EQ/comp instances you can get. This is the only info I found:

Quote:
The 828mk3's flexible effects architecture allows you to apply EQ and compression on every input and output (a total of 58 channels), with enough DSP resources for at least one band of parametric EQ and compression on every channel at 48 kHz. However, DSP resources are allocated dynamically and a DSP meter allows you to keep tabs on the 828mk3's processing resources.
So, would that be 4 7-band EQ's and and 14 "bands" of compression at 96? Or maybe you could have less comp and more EQ for 8 or 9 full channel strips (16-18 at 48?). I'm guessing a "band" of compression is either the compressor or the leveler - but it sure seems like these would take more horsepower than a single band of EQ.

Also, it looks like these would be kind of hard to integrate in a mixing situation. You'd think they'd at least be available as MAS plug-ins in DP.
Old 29th February 2008 | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sometimes MOTU doesn't really think through things in great detail. I wouldn't be surprised if these onboard EQ's and compressors are that kind of thing. They might only have usefulness for setting up "like a record" cue mixes. But who knows...maybe they will actually be useful for something other than cue mixes. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm more excited about the great metering and the MS decoding to be completely honest. And the fact that there are two ADAT ins/outs instead of just one.

Brad
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up - strange company. The effects look good and even great for the cue mix thing. I really like the selectable gain/Q profiles on the EQ and the notion of the LA2 emulation.

There's a lot of potential for convoluted sub-summing, parallel processing and printing effects - might not be worth the effort, though. For me, it really depends on how good the effects are.

The effects, routing and mixing fall somewhere in between ITB and OTB. Oh well, I've got about 30 hrs. to decide what I'm going to use my MF 20% off coupon for, and this may or may not be on the list...
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
can you bus out and back in with cue mix? if so you could psuedo mix out of the box and submix drums, etc.

Also I am not beyond printing on the way in either!

I have one on order and I am hoping it works solid with my pc....
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yes, you should be able to do all of that - bussing, printing, etc. I chickened out on getting the MKIII on the MF sale, but I'm still very interested in it. I think we'll see the DSP addition to their future interfaces, and I hope, DSP as in-DAW plug-ins.
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Anybody have the mk3 yet? It seems to be in stock at least in Germany and UK. I am going to order an audio interface between saturday - monday and it will be either fireface 800 or 828 mk3. If the sound quality of the mk3 is close to the fireface, I might consider ordering the mk3. Earlier I had a 828 mk2 without any problems. However, at this point I also want to upgrade the sound quality.

edit. Couldn't wait anymore. Just ordered the mk3. I really hope MOTU have stable drivers for it and the dsp thing doesn't affect anything else if you don't want to use it.

Anybody who gets the mk3, please post a real picture of it and tell how it sounds.
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I just bought the ultralight for 475 and am very happy with it. except that it doesn't go to 192khz recording. Im considering returning it and buying the mKIII.

Do you think the mic pre's will be better or the same? do you think the effects will be better than a DAW's effects? like logic pro?
as an all in one solution it looks pretty badass, I just wonder if external gear would be better for those effects?
Old 2nd March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D โžก๏ธ
edit. Couldn't wait anymore. Just ordered the mk3.
If you (or anyone) gets it can you please download and run Rightmark Audio Analyzer http://audio.rightmark.org/ and post or link to the results here. (Using balanced cables at +4dBu)

Thanks

Old 5th March 2008 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Mine begins shipping today. However, it will take a couple of days to arrive.

So, anybody with a new mk3 out there? Please post something, a pic would be nice.
Old 5th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincept โžก๏ธ
I just bought the ultralight for 475 and am very happy with it. except that it doesn't go to 192khz recording. Im considering returning it and buying the mKIII.
I also own the ultralite and love it.
Even tho I have a very powerful Dualcore Intel X86 based DAW ,I don't see myself recording or mixing in 192khz,Maybe if I had a Quadcore
Quote:
Do you think the mic pre's will be better or the same?
I think the built-in pres in all of these interfaces are no more then average,I tried the pre's on the RME fireface and didnt find them to be any better or worse,same for the PreSonus pres.

Suggestion,keep the ultralite & DIY yourself a nice pre.

Quote:
do you think the effects will be better than a DAW's effects? like logic pro?
as an all in one solution it looks pretty badass, I just wonder if external gear would be better for those effects?
I'm not sure if you can use internal routing to use these effects which means you will need to add at least another stage of conversion when recording a "dry" signal and printing effects on it during the mix or alse you want to print during recording.
Even if these effects are twice as good as the plugins im currently using (sonalksis,audio damage,Sir) I would still prefer not to use them and by doing that reserving my great workflow.
Old 7th March 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
'v had mine since wednesday...

heh...haven't had time to hook it up. I've been too busy and I also need to get some quality xlrs.
Besides, I really want to hook it up in the most effective way. I know that once I wire it in, odds are, I won't rewire it.
Not to mention I'm currently deciding whether or not to sell my ultralite to invest in some nice mic pres. It seems that integrating the ultralite into my studio might be redundant not to mention unnecassary.
I ordered my mk3 through my job when they were announced. I found out about the new 828s the same night I picked up a traveler so I returned it and ordered the mk3...I hope this wasn't a mistake.
I should be recording with it tonight after work. I'll also try to snap a few pics of this new creature in its natural habitat.
LONG LIVE MOTU!!!!!
...well that depends on the mk3's performance I guess

-Mrcvxxi
F5D
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvxxi โžก๏ธ
I should be recording with it tonight after work. I'll also try to snap a few pics of this new creature in its natural habitat.
-Mrcvxxi
Please do!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
what he said thumbsup
Louder Than Liftoff

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have a Black Lion Audio modified Traveler so I'm hoping to do some comparisons between that and the new 828 MkIII. I'd be stoked if the conversion was on par.

Brad
๐Ÿ“ Reply