Quantcast
SampleCel discontinued for PT 6.0 ??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SampleCel discontinued for PT 6.0 ???
Old 3rd December 2002
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I for one hope it gets discontinued and that someone finally makes a decent sampler plug - direct connect - native thing that works with ProTools like a sampler should and especially that reads akai and emu formats.

Currently testing Sampletank but it hasn't got me convinced yet ... maybe as a reader ....
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chris

Have you tried Kontakt?
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody tried the BitHeadz sampler for the Mac?
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't tried, but the GUI looks bad to me and the only reports i read say it's a really flaky, buggy piece of ...software.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Chris

Have you tried Kontakt?

no emu support and half my CD-rom library is in Emu format

haven't tried it yet. Native Instruments make great stuff but I am a little hesitant using it a lot because most of their stuff has to deal with mega latency issues. (softsamplecell too btw)

Any idea what the latency with Kontakt is ???
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know Chris. I'm still on a G3 b/w 350 so my CPU can't even handle the
streamlined buffer option.
Probably bad latency.
But it doesn't bother me, I admit!
and I print all my midi to audio asap to deal with timing problems.

Half my library is Emu too.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It seems there was a bug with NI stuff in dealing with Direct Connect 128. That's a bit of a turnoff. Also, does Kontakt stream from disk and read Giga files? I'm a bit wary as to what will really be NI future commitment as far as support for the PT platform... I don't know. That's why I'd like to find a different solution.

I read the SOS review of Unity Session too but having played in the past with Retro AS1 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sounds and would hope they're gonna get their stuff straightened. They've been one of the only early supporters of the Mac platform for softsynths so it would seem that they are the one who really have everything to loose by not making their product the "Giga" of the Mac.

I'll go check if there's a dowload demo of Unity Session and try playing with it during my Xmas break.
Old 14th December 2002
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Well. I'm personnally gutted by the discontinuation of Samplecell. I love it (hard and software) and use it all the time. While it doesn't have the features (filters etc) of Kontact and EXS24 (mk2 especially) I find it very fast and reliable. I love being able to patch its outputs straight into the TDM mixer in 'Tools' without the cpu hit that Kontakt gives you, and the Interface is second nature to me.
Even though I'm concentrating on OSX apps at work, The Samplecell desicion has decided for me that I'm sticking with my current ultra reliable OS9 rig for the forseeable future, complete with multiple Samplecells. I have translator so I can get plenty of formats into it.

Kontakt works very well on the Mac for a 1st version. Most of the features you guys mention you want from it are due before xmas I'm told.

Bitheadz. I think as a company they are very brave and there near total dedication to the Mac is admirable. I must say I hate unity though. I've tried it at every revision from version 2, and have found it CPU heavy. Buggy and clunky. I hope this will be sorted in the OSX version..... gotta make some time to try it...

Al.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the only thing about this that's not clear and defined is the future, or possible lack thereof of Direct Connect.

The "official" end of SampleCell:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/sc/

They're also killing off MasterList, but that's another story.

-dave
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MCal
Well. I'm personnally gutted by the discontinuation of Samplecell. I love it (hard and software) and use it all the time.

Al.
Sorry to hear that Al.

I'm most annoyed because I wrote to Digi a couple of months ago and was assured by head bod there that they were committed to development of SSC to OSX. He even asked me to keep it a secret until the PT6 work flurry had passed as he said he couldn't handle the questions that would follow, should it go public.
Now I read it's all over. I'm sure his intentions were good but it's just disappointing that Digi aren't developing this crucial area. It must have been a real borderline decision.

At least it's clear now, the not knowing was the worst.

A real shame.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
I think the only thing about this that's not clear and defined is the future, or possible lack thereof of Direct Connect.

-dave
Yes this is an exciting aspect of the news; it looks like DC is over, hurrah.

-----------------

Actually, just reading the DUC thread and the aux issue it's not such great news afterall
πŸ“ Reply