Quantcast
G4/DVD player problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
G4/DVD player problem
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
G4/DVD player problem

Using my G4 with sound output to my studio monitors, I recently watched Lord of the Rings on DVD. The only flaw was that the audio kept falling 1-3 seconds behind the video. It was not unlike a badly dubbed Kung Fu movie. Outside of that, very entertaining, though!

I don't remember what version of Apple's DVD Player... it might be 2.2.1. Maybe I need a newer version?

My system is G4/400, 9.1. If it matters, PT Mix lives in this computer as well. Could the DAE buffer setting have something to do with it?

p.s. - Not a big deal, but if anyone knows the fix, it'd be cool!
Old 17th December 2002
Mac Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Jax,
Ok. Firstly update to 9.2.2 G4's love it. Secondly. Whats your extention set like? Trimmed down properly?

It sounds like the Mac was struggling to keep the whole DVD running correctly.

Oh, the latest version (for MacOS 9.2.2) of the DVD Player software is 2.7. Grab it from the Apple support site after you've up'd the OS to 9.2.2.

The DAE buffer has no effect on this issue. They dont know each other exists. Unless your using the Digi hardware to output the DVD's sound. (are you? -) Try making a seperate extensions set for playing DVD's and as a starting point use MacOS9 base extensions. Enable all Ati Graphics drivers, and (to be safe) all Quickdraw 3d stuff too.

See if that helps.

I have a G4 400 Yosemite running OSX.2.2 that I use for internet etc, and it plays DVD's better than my standalone DVD player, so its not a CPU issue.

Al.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
MCal, I was running the audio through my Digi hardware. What should I know?

I'll update to 9.2.2 and DVD Player 2.7 and see if that helps.

What extensions should I NOT have running when playing DVD's?

FWIW, as you'd expect, the sound coming from my esoteric converters clearly blows the doors off of the Apple soundcard. That's why I'm running it through Digi hw.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW - THOOOOOOOM!!!! RRRRROOOOOOOAAAAAARRRR!!! WOOOOOOOOOSSHHHHH!! (sorry about the caps but that's what it sounds like coming through my monitors I LOVE IT!)
Old 17th December 2002
Mac Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Ahhhh.... I'm willing to bet that using the Digi soundmanager driver is the problem. It's not too good with anything too demanding.

Can you try the same disk with Built-in selected in sound control panel, and let me/us know if it does the same freaky behaviour??

If it does cure it, you might wanna try the little M-Audio Sonica. Its a dirt cheap USB audio output device with 'decent' analogue output, and a Digital one too.....

Al.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…