The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Internal ATA/UW SCSI Conflict??
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Question Internal ATA/UW SCSI Conflict??

I'm using my 20g internal ATA with a Mix system now (since the 2940 is no longer supported), and just the other night, HAL 9000 was unsure about whether there wasn't enough space left on the drive or it was fragmented (ye olde familiar -6042). There were 6.5 gigs left, which was previously fine for recording only 5 tracks. Luckily this isn't a client project.

I defragged, but to no avail. Aren't the UW and ATA busses separate from eachother such that they shouldn't conflict?

I didn't try restarting with the UW's off and turning off the Adaptec extensions, which I thought might remove the SCSI bottleneck if the busses were conflicted. Would that have helped? This hasn't been a problem before even with the UW's and Adaptec extensions running in tow.

Any idea what's up and how to return to full flow (aside from the obvious)?

G4 400, 9.1, 2940UW, 3 x 18g cheetahs
Old 26th November 2002
Mac Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Try running with the 2940 out of the Mac, and see if that stops the problem. I've never had a Rig setup like yours, so I can't be sure if the UW2940 is causing your problems (when its not in use...) But its the one item in your list that shouldn't be anywhere near your G4.

Let us know if this helps will you?

Al.
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Well, it wasn't the 2940's fault. With all 3 cheetahs running (where were the gazelles?), I got the thing recording again. I forgot to throw out all the originals I had copied when defragging.

"A full trash can doesn't mean the garbage is gone."

Wow. I just accidentally stumbled over a new urban proverb!

BTW, even though G4's are supposedly schoolyard foes with 2940's, I can still edit, mix, and save with a 2940 drive rig. Recording is the only barrier. Even that is possible with only a handful of tracks, though.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…