Quantcast
Alternative to S1 Stereo Imager? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative to S1 Stereo Imager?
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question Alternative to S1 Stereo Imager?

Hey All,

I'm after a stereo imager for use on the mix buss (conservatively). I have successfully managed to avoid Waves so far for reasons many people have laid out on this board.

However, I'm coming up a bit short on this one. Anyone got any good alternatives?

Old 30th December 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
psp has some excellent stereo stuff!

isotope ozone has a multi band stereolizer for the mix bus (that works)

I would not use these tools on the mix bus, just slightly sometimes on some instruments... else it changes everything too much... but that's me.
Old 30th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I unreservedly recommend DUY Wide. It's included in the (native) EverPack. The sound on the mix buss is awesome. As a starting point, set the gain to -3db, the boost to 10%, and the Amount to 20%. I strongly suspect you will like the results.
Lives for gear

Airwindows StereoFX... itΒ΄s great and itΒ΄s cheap!!!
Link to Airwindows store
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
plus 1 for duy wide
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusburst ➑️
I unreservedly recommend DUY Wide. It's included in the (native) EverPack. The sound on the mix buss is awesome. As a starting point, set the gain to -3db, the boost to 10%, and the Amount to 20%. I strongly suspect you will like the results.
You weren't wrong. Demoing this plug now. It's fantastic. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm testing an excellent new one from a very reputable company right now and it should be out very soon for all formats it has some cool other stuff the waves hasn't got too!! watch this space...
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Still looking for an alternative. I want this stereo imager its on sale today... but there has to be others. Is it just the gui that is exciting to me? or does Abletons Utility do the same thing in terms of width and panning?
Old 27th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen ➑️
Still looking for an alternative. I want this stereo imager its on sale today... but there has to be others. Is it just the gui that is exciting to me? or does Abletons Utility do the same thing in terms of width and panning?
This looks like a good one... does all the same things as ableton utility + volume control for each channel.
Flux:: sound and picture development

Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PSP stereo tools !!
Old 27th June 2013
Deleted 19064ac
IK Multimedia T-RackS Quad Image
Old 27th June 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Whatever you do please do not get the IK. The crossovers alter the source to such a drastic degree that if you put it on your mix you will not be listening to the song you were the moment before. Now remember, if I only have one ear and and can hear it that clearly, then everyone should be able to. I am talking about just inserting the plugin without doing any narrowing or widening!

Izotope have nailed it.. I don't know how but the tool completely nulls with the same file without the plugin with phase inverted and the izotope at 4 bands and standard positions. And furthermore when you move the sliders you an hear that NOTHING is being altered but the width.
Yet another one that had managed to nail it with completely neutral crossovers no matter what frequency position they are in is a very cheap (and may I add cheerful) plugin called mod control pro from Home : DNR Collaborative

There's plenty of options but some of them just after the source too much with the crossovers if you want multi band. IK as I said, and the blue cat mb7 is atrocious in that regard also.

I can't remember if the sonalksis does but I DO remember that it was good, so I would guess it is also neutral.. My demo time ran out ages ago.

Finally the melda production stereo tool plugin is also very good.

Personally I think between mix control and ozone I am spoiled, cause the enhancement sounds entirely different with both.. I would tend to use ozone to make a whole mix a tiny bit wider or narrower in certain frequencies to tighten it up where as I would use mix control on individual tracks... It especially sounds great at making synth pads sound nice and big and wide. I also use mix control as first choice to mono out the bass.

Anyway please note I am quite a fan of IK.. I love their pultec and ALL their compressors. But the new red series of quads just have way too harsh crossovers and I am only being honest from my experience. The only way around it would be to mix into it on your mater buss from the very beginning.
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Brainworx bx_control V2
Old 27th June 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well yes single band and very basic with a mono maker.. It's ok and a good tool overall with a nice meter that's for sure. Unfortunately it has faulty mid and side soloing functions. I've compared to voxengo where both parts soloed in two instances of the plugin will null with the original signal, the brainworx plug in alliance stuff won't.. Not even close to! I knew there was something a bit funky going on and I ws right, the test proved it. And I don't bother emailing them about anything anymore cause they are LITERALLY like new born cry babies they are so sensitive, so I gave up. You use their plugins for what they are at that point in time I say (fwiw I have bought them all bar 3) .. Don't expect support.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hmz that shines a new light on it because when I tested several plugins a while ago I actually stayed with this one without paying attention to it again. Maybe this is the right time to reconsider.
Old 28th June 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well the free mid side plugin from voxengo gives flawless accurate mid side control and is FREE! That is the one to use for that.

The mono maker in BX control is pretty good and the stereo enhancement can be radical as it goes to ridiculous levels as well as really nice metering as I said and it's not expensive so it's still worth considering especially on their frequent sales, there is just something broken with the way PA separates the M and S portions in all their plugins which is the bummer part. Oh their stereo creation tool is very good too and my favourite of those tools.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I first used the bx_control V2 on my output channel with these settings: Mono-Maker 59Hz and Stereo-Width 172%. In the meanwhile I learned how to make everything (which needed to be) wide in single or group channels. Using for example: chorus/flanger, Dimension D, SoundToys EchoBoy, SPL Vitalizer MK2-T (it has a stereo expander knob), the right reverbs/delays, panning and all the other tricks. So now I don't need it anymore on the output channel. But let's say, I want to improve synth sounds (you already mentioned a pad) like leads, stabs, chords, strings etc. .. iZotope Ozone would be the right choice? Tried it a long time ago but not for widening purposes. I also thought it was too complicated. If it works as easy as the Brainworx one I'm going to try it again! Although I'm a little bit confused now because a lot of pro's use also Brainworx Digital V2. UAD has made one too. So there must be something right.

By the way: what about SoundToys Little MicroShift which will come in stores soon? Oh and I'll try Voxengo's MSED and Stereo Touch again (totally forgot those ones).
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
don't forget the almighty DrMS.
http://www.mathewlane.com/DrMS.html
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yep! But that's really a hard one to understand. heh
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
in general, i have absolutely no idea of what i'm doing (this is a general statement, not specific to DrMS).
but i tend to go on and mess things up until it sounds good.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Haha that's one way to do it. Or using presets as a starting point.
I see Dave Pensado has some nice Into The Lair tutorials @ Youtube about stereo widening (also using DrMS). Will check them out later today.
Old 28th June 2013
MFW
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Check out the plugs by Blue Cat Audio. Affordable, great customer support and they kick major ass.

There's a great analysis bundle I love : Blue Cat's Analysis Pack - Audio Analysis Tools and Audio to MIDI Plugins Bundle (VST, AU, DX, RTAS)

This includes the stereoscope multi and stereoscope pro.

Bonus, they already have a free AAX 64 bit upgrade. And no iLok / backwards / convoluted authorization.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Well, I did some tests with Ozone 5 and DrMS4 in comparison with SPL Vitalizer MK2-T and Brainworx Control V2 on several synth parts (leads and pads mostly). It seems Ozone adds some 'harshness' to the sound, or something like that. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not (still playing with the settings of course). It's definitely more subtle and has much more options. But maybe I use the whole plug-in for mastering instead of stereo widening single channels. Found some tutorials which explain every detail so that would be a nice learning process. The DrMS does the job on strings and pads. It's not that complicated after all when someone shows how it works.

Anyhow, at this moment I'm not convinced yet. I think I like the 'overwhelming' and wider result from the SPL and Brainworx more. Same reason I like ERS Dimension D and Logic's Mega Wide Chorus preset more then the UAD one (both provide a much wider chorus).
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sonalksis Stereo Tools

No-one has mentioned this one yet as far as I can see, but the best one i've tried so far is the Sonalksis Stereo Tools. Before starting the mix I put it on the mixbuss, set the width to 140%, set it and forget it. For me it's just brilliant. Gives me all the width I can possibly want and sounds great...definitely have to check that one out. I use the Sonalksis comp and eq as my go-to's and their quality is superb! ..cheers
Old 1st July 2013
Deleted a08cf2a
Nugen has very cool stereo tools with a high degree of mono compatibility
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm convinced heh
iZotope 5 Imaging on stereo output rocks!
Thanks to this tutorial which delivered a great starting point:

I'm also using the iZotope 5 Maximizer now (but that's already discussed in another topic about limiters).
I'll keep some tricks for single channels though.
For example: SPL Vitalizer on lead synths, DrMS on pads, sample delays on percussion, chorussing etc.
But I think the Brainworx one has lost the competition.
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Haha don't know why I have the need to post this but I was a little bit excited too fast. Because the imager from Ozone5 adds too much stuff I don't need (but for other purposes it could be helpful). Like the delay in the higher parts or a tiny amount of extra highs. The winner for me is (in combination with m/s processing):
Brainworx Digital V2
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was addicted to the Brainworx for a few years until a few weeks ago when I switched to AOM stereo imager D, sounds a lot more natural and also gives a bit more sparkle
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Tokyo Dawn Proximity. It's free, it's cool

Proximity | Tokyo Dawn Records
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried the bx_stereomaker ?
πŸ“ Reply