Quantcast
Can you get a 001 rig running rock solid? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can you get a 001 rig running rock solid?
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can you get a 001 rig running rock solid?

I would be completely happy with running PTLE with 10 good channels of converters and the 8 they give you since you can now run 32 tracks on it. Right now I'm using the stock converters and another 2 running thru the spidf inputs and the thing wont run stabily. I get error 6045 fairly often.

I'm running a 466mhz G4 with 384 megs of ram. I have a seperate harddrive for audio and my extensions are fairly stripped down as well. I only use the computer for audio. The only programs ive put on it is PTLE, toast, and spark.

So anyone running an 001 rock solid? It ****ing sucks having it error during the middle of a good drum take and have to tell the band they have to redo the song. It scares me to add more converters using the adat I/O since what I have now doesnt work right.

I've searched the DUC forever and the only thing ive seen is setting it so you cant use spidf or adat I/O, which wouldnt work for me.

I dont want to have to spend thousands on a used mix+, since if this thing would do what its supposed to do I'd be happy. Anyone have any advice? Thanks a lot.
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I run this same setup and am very close to rock solid. Here are the important things I've found:

1. Defrag your hard drives as often as possible!!!

2. I use both the SPDIF and ADAT in's all the time, oftentimes up to 12 -14 track in at once. The trick is though do not clock to the optical input (especially if you're running at 48k). Always clock to the SPDIF. In my case I run wordclock out of my HEDD into my 8 channel Lucid and set it to clock to WC, then in PT I clock to the incoming SPDIF from the HEDD.

3. I might even try some more RAM, and play around a lot with your RAM settings, DAE buffer (within the DAE app), and the playback buffer. Sorry, I can't give you specifics with those - you just have to play around with it until it feels right.

4. Defrag your hard drives as often as possible!!!

In general when I get these errors it has been during playback rather than recording, and I have usually forgotten to switch back to internal clock.

Good luck.
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have a 533 DP w/ 512 of RAM, 40Gb to audio in 4 10Gb partitions, running 9.1, PT LE 5.1 and it goes rock solid...
I don't remember the last crash it had!!!!! My extentions are Mac OS base w/ some minor cuts ...
I have only a 8ch A/D going ADAT into the PCI board and the converter is the master at 48K most of the time...
Hope it helps...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…