The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Updating laptop, need advice?
Old 17th November 2022
Here for the gear

Updating laptop, need advice?

Hello all, I hope this is the correct place for this question. I am looking to update my laptop and wondering the best way to go about transferring programs/recording interface and avoid any technical difficulties if possible.

My current setup looks like this:
Computer:
Macbook Pro 2012 (getting a bit long in the tooth and needs to be replaced)

Programs:
Pro Tools 11
Ableton Live 9.7

Interace:
MBox Pro 8x8

This set up has served me well over the years and would like to continue using all of this on the brand new computer.

Because most of these are a few years old and technology moves so quickly, I was wondering if there were any issues I need to be on the lookout for when updating to a new OS. Also what the simplest and quickest ways to get these all up and running on the new computer. (Even though I have been working with audio for almost 2 decades, I am admittedly an absolute dunce when it comes to simple computer problems such as this).

Thank you!
Old 17th November 2022
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

ProTools 11 is not supported past MacOS 10.10 Yosemite. Unless your “new” computer is a used machine that is just slightly newer than your current one and runs Yosemite, you will likely be running a machine with a newer operating system. So you will need to make sure you get a newer version of PT that will run on your new machines OS. Also be advised that Avid has largely switched to a subscription model for ProTools software since the days of PT11.

I have no idea if the older MBox interfaces are still supported on current operating systems, so you’ll also want to look into that.
Old 17th November 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

ProTools 11 is not supported past MacOS 10.10 Yosemite. Unless your “new” computer is a used machine that is just slightly newer than your current one and runs Yosemite, you will likely be running a machine with a newer operating system. So you will need to make sure you get a newer version of PT that will run on your new machines OS. Also be advised that Avid has largely switched to a subscription model for ProTools software since the days of PT11.

I have no idea if the older MBox interfaces are still supported on current operating systems, so you’ll also want to look into that.
Thank you, that is what I was worried about. I had looked at this before but was unsure if "no longer supported" meant "this straight up is not going to work on this computer", such is my lack of OS jargon.

It would be a shame to have to update everything all at once, especially considering how ingrained my workflow is in my current set up, not to mention shelling out extra cash on top of it, essentially building up a workstation from scratch.
Old 17th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangbangsters ➡️
Thank you, that is what I was worried about. I had looked at this before but was unsure if "no longer supported" meant "this straight up is not going to work on this computer", such is my lack of OS jargon.

It would be a shame to have to update everything all at once, especially considering how ingrained my workflow is in my current set up, not to mention shelling out extra cash on top of it, essentially building up a workstation from scratch.
Unfortunately that’s how it goes. You gotta do it all at once. The best thing you can do is buy yourself a powerful machine, that way you’ll get a solid 8-10 years out of it instead of having to be at this crossroads every 3-4 years.
Old 28th November 2022
Here for the gear

Just a thought, don't know how feasible it is...

Would it be possible to set up a dual boot system on a newer laptop, install an older OS on one and transfer over all the programs and hardware onto that partition.

For reference the OS I'm running now on my mac is 10.8.5, obviously pretty old, but all of my set up works fine and dandy on it so wondering if this may be an option to continue working on a new computer.
Old 28th November 2022
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The newest macbook pro that was shipped with 10.8 factory installed was an early 2013 model (see here: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...s-support.html). All models after that cannot run an OS older than what they were shipped with, only newer.
Old 28th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just a thought, don't know how feasible it is...

Would it be possible to set up a dual boot system on a newer laptop, install an older OS on one and transfer over all the programs and hardware onto that partition.

For reference the OS I'm running now on my mac is 10.8.5, obviously pretty old, but all of my set up works fine and dandy on it so wondering if this may be an option to continue working on a new computer.
I've done that kind of thing on an intel based Mac when I installed a 2TB SSD into it. to do it properly is not a trivial undertaking and I'd say, that even trying a migration to an M series processor and emerging more modern OS's, would be highly unlikely to be a success. it's not even clear that the current OS is going to ignore HFS+ formatted partitions at this point.
Old 28th November 2022
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input, what a bummer. Seems like my best course of action may be to keep my old laptop as a pure DAW set up and get a new one for separate functions, hoping that it holds up for a while. The old laptop is so out of date simple things like using the internet, sharing files with collaborators and uploading music have pretty much become impossible.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your input, what a bummer. Seems like my best course of action may be to keep my old laptop as a pure DAW set up and get a new one for separate functions, hoping that it holds up for a while. The old laptop is so out of date simple things like using the internet, sharing files with collaborators and uploading music have pretty much become impossible.
right, that's what I was tending to think as well. you should be able to network two Macs together without too much trouble I would expect. and it's probably about time I figured out how to actually do that. first thing that springs to mind, is the question of the possibility of streaming multitrack audio and midi synchronisation between two systems. I would think the part for networking Midi is going to be under Audio Midi setup / Midi / Network.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
right, that's what I was tending to think as well. you should be able to network two Macs together without too much trouble I would expect. and it's probably about time I figured out how to actually do that. first thing that springs to mind, is the question of the possibility of streaming multitrack audio and midi synchronisation between two systems. I would think the part for networking Midi is going to be under Audio Midi setup / Midi / Network.
Yeah, I would think that should be pretty simple. I know at some point I'm going to have to wind up updating my whole workstation from the ground up, this whole OS compatibility stuff makes me consider leaning more towards an "out of the box" solution going forward.
📝 Reply