The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's looking forward to Apple M2?
Old 31st August 2022 | Show parent
Dor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I grabbed a base m2 air for couch surfing but I haven't had a chance to stress test it yet. I installed Cubase 12 the other day so maybe I'll get around to it in the next few days.

My main music machine is a M1 Mini 16/1TB and i'm barely taxing it on a day to day basis. I also have a 14" M1 Pro MBP 16/512GB that I use for web dev and stuff. It's such a smooth machine that I'm thinking of grabbing a 32/4TB MBP to use as my all in one machine. I might as well hold out for the M2 or whatever model is on the horizon.

D
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Working on getting my M2 Air up and running. My current machine is a 9900K Windows desktop, so it's a little more complicated than an upgrade. I'm trying to set it up so that I can work on either machine, and I'm also avoiding Rosetta - which restricts me to VSTs that work Native on Mac.

Native Instruments has stated that, though they work on M1, there are problems on M2. Most of NI isn't ported to Native yet. However, Kontakt is - and in early testing, I've seen no issue on M2. FWIW, the Air has 16 Gb RAM, and 1TB mass storage.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman ➡️
Not wanting to compare the M2 with that, but I hope you understand the deep fear that made me rant.
Haha yes, when I've been burned by Apple products (my bendy iPhone 6 where SMD components pulled from the mainboard, the notorious MBP butterfly keyboards) it is so disappointing.

As the M2s are put in the newer MBP design there will be more space in the case and (presumably) active cooling, I think they will be able to avoid the throttling that is happening on the M2s we have now, not to mention they should have the extra cores of the Pro/Max configurations we saw on the respective M1 versions. Of course we won't know for sure until they arrive.
Old 11th September 2022 | Show parent
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Finally got to the point where I could compare my 9700K Win 10 (tuned well, not overclocked) against my new Air M2 (16 Gb, 1 Tb). And, it's rather impressive.

Running Studio One. Test session was audio tracks only (no virtual instruments). Bunch of bussing, and 5 FX tracks. Interface is Presonus Quantum, and tests were at 256 sample latency. Studio One dropout protection off. All Mac plugins were Apple native - no Rosetta involved.

Starting with the Mac, I loaded it up to the point of crackling, removed one plug. That's my "no throttle" max.

I then set it up to loop until the Air hit max temp, then removed plugins until it stopped crackling. That's my "throttle" max. To get there, I removed 4 Waves Abbey Road plates.

Next, I moved the "throttle" project to the PC. It crackled. I had to remove two additional Abbey Road plates to eliminate the crackle.

In this test at least, I'm going to call it roughly the same. And this is way more plugins than I normally would use. Which is fantastic - I'll be able to move between the two systems, knowing that whatever I do on one will run on the other. For my normal projects, it appears that they run at a 16 sample latency just fine on the Mac.

FYI, I used a freeware Mac plugin called Hot by XS-Labs, which shows the Mac temperatures and thermal pressure. It looks like the Air wants to keep the temperature below 70 deg C. It also looks like the passive cooling system works well - once you remove the processing load (which I did by hitting the master plugin disable), the temperature drops really fast. BTW, if you're grabbing Hot, get it from the developer's Github. The download version that comes up through search is old and doesn't properly support the Air.

As always with computers and audio, YMMV.

Last edited by js1; 11th September 2022 at 04:50 PM..
📝 Reply