The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's looking forward to Apple M2?
Old 19th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt ➡️
You won't be able to do any audio work at all when pageout/pagein happens because you hard ran out of RAM. Doesn't matter whether the SSD is 2x faster or not.
pageout/pagein is temporary.
Old 28th July 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi ➡️
Just bought a base model MBP13 M2. Testing it for audio now. I'll keep y'all posted...

Sincerely,
So how did it go? Know if Kontakt works?
Old 29th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 ➡️
Never fails when you go on the apple page and look at prices.
Oooh 1600$ for a baseline aint that bad. Just gonna add some SSD and some RAM and.......... 4200$ no no no no
That's just silly. You can increase the RAM to 24 GB and add a 2 TB NVMe drive for a lot less than $2,600. In fact you can buy a fully loaded M2 MacBook Air for $2,500.

Sure, you could buy some POS plastic Acer laptop with a horrible screen and practically unusable keyboard and trackpad for a lot less. But the performance will be a complete joke.
Old 29th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mine is arriving in about an hour
Old 30th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpack ➡️
That's just silly. You can increase the RAM to 24 GB and add a 2 TB NVMe drive for a lot less than $2,600. In fact you can buy a fully loaded M2 MacBook Air for $2,500.
Exactly. That was a weak as well as uninformed try by @ mattias78 that was off by 68%. That's wild.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B ➡️
Exactly. That was a weak as well as uninformed try by @ mattias78 that was off by 68%. That's wild.

I guess internet doesn’t translate humour that well.
But you guys should take life a little bit more easy.
I’m not trying to take a dig at apple. So please relax.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sure, you could buy some POS plastic Acer laptop with a horrible screen and practically unusable keyboard and trackpad for a lot less. But the performance will be a complete joke.
Man take a vacation and relax. I m sorry I hurt you by humouring the apple prices. Im a apple owner myself so I know this too.
You just registered to write this?

And actually you can get a MacBook for way over what I said.
No problem.

Last edited by mattias78; 30th July 2022 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m not trying to take a dig at apple. So please relax.

You relax, @ mattias78 . I'm surfing here.
I don't mind "digs" at Apple, at all. But if you miss the mark, you miss. If this was supposed to be humour…Next time, maybe try to say something with an unexpected turn, rather than something predictable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And actually you can get a MacBook for way over what I said.
No problem.
Who's hurt here then? You have anything more that everyone knows already to report?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Who's hurt here then? You have anything more that everyone knows already to report?
The problem was that you didn’t know.
If no one was hurt why you start questioning me 2 months later?(mind you. It’s not exactly 2 months. So you don’t have to come with percentage this time)

You seem to have something against me for some reason.
That’s is weird. I can only imagine that it was because you thought I took a dig against apple. I’m so sorry about that.
I know some people die by their brand.
Happy vacation

Last edited by mattias78; 30th July 2022 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

You relax, @ mattias78 . I'm surfing here.
I don't mind "digs" at Apple, at all. But if you miss the mark, you miss. If this was supposed to be humour…Next time, maybe try to say something with an unexpected turn, rather than something predictable.
In what way did I miss the mark?
They can get pretty expensive if I may say so in your presence.
This is from the Swedish shop. Do you want me to look up that in dollars for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Who's looking forward to Apple M2?-4fad7ac9-5cf2-4cbe-aee4-359f5d9d5ae7.png  
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
This is from the Swedish shop. Do you want me to look up that in dollars for you?
Your pathetic attempt at "humor" just perpetuates the myth that Apple computers, phones, and iPads are wildly overpriced. That is just not the case. $2,500 for a fanless M2 MacBook Air with 24 GB of RAM and a 2 TB NVMe drive is a great deal..

The "XPS 13 Plus" laptop from Dell costs $2,400 if you get it with the more powerful CPU option, 32 GB of RAM, a 2 TB NVMe drive, and the OLED screen. But the Dell relies on Intel's Ires Xe built in graphics which the M2 MacBook Air will just destroy.

Plus the M2 MacBook Air is completely silent unlike the XPS 13 whose fans will be running almost constantly and even then the CPU will likely be throttled to avoid overheating. Plus, the battery life of the M2 MacBook Air is significantly better than the Dell (or any Windows laptop).

Oh, and the XPS 13 doesn't even have a headphone jack! You have to sacrifice one the Thunderbolt ports and use an adapter to use your wired headphones with the XPS 13. How stupid is that?

So you get a much better computer with the M2 MacBook Air for roughly the same price as the Dell XPS.

So I will just say this again, the fully loaded M2 MacBook Air is not overpriced.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
$2,500 for a fanless M2 MacBook Air with 24 GB of RAM and a 2 TB NVMe drive is a great deal..
True. I paid about that much for a ThinkPad with 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD, and even after calibration the LCD only gets me 68% of the sRGB colour space. On the other hand I can easily add more RAM and replace the SSD drive when it fails, which is the main reason why I continue to buy Windows laptops instead of Mac laptops (my desktop machines are Macs, though).
Old 31st July 2022
Here for the gear
Since I have the M1 MacBook Pro and it still runs every project I have smoothly, I guess, although tempting, that I will indeed wait for M3, M4 or ever M5 to arrive before even considering updating.
The MacBook is mainly used docked anyway, so display tech and whatnot is negligible anyway
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The problem was that you didn’t know.
If no one was hurt why you start questioning me 2 months later?(mind you. It’s not exactly 2 months. So you don’t have to come with percentage this time)

You seem to have something against me for some reason.
That’s is weird. I can only imagine that it was because you thought I took a dig against apple. I’m so sorry about that.
I know some people die by their brand.
Happy vacation
It's taking it very personal to assume that I have anything against you. Please stop that; it's not becoming of you. Your assumptions about my motivation are as weak as your post, that this exchange started with. I made perfectly clear what I reacted against. That's all there is so nothing more to say really.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You talked in dollars. Swedish VAT, conversion rates and what not has no bearing on this. In dollars that's still only $3,000, so your $4,200 was still way off. It's clear by now counting and appraising isn't your forte.
Old 31st July 2022
Jb2
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone with some review of how the new MacBook Air does with audio
Old 1st August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Your pathetic attempt at "humor" just perpetuates the myth that Apple computers, phones, and iPads are wildly overpriced. That is just not the case. $2,500 for a fanless M2 MacBook Air with 24 GB of RAM and a 2 TB NVMe drive is a great deal..

The "XPS 13 Plus" laptop from Dell costs $2,400 if you get it with the more powerful CPU option, 32 GB of RAM, a 2 TB NVMe drive, and the OLED screen. But the Dell relies on Intel's Ires Xe built in graphics which the M2 MacBook Air will just destroy.

Plus the M2 MacBook Air is completely silent unlike the XPS 13 whose fans will be running almost constantly and even then the CPU will likely be throttled to avoid overheating. Plus, the battery life of the M2 MacBook Air is significantly better than the Dell (or any Windows laptop).

Oh, and the XPS 13 doesn't even have a headphone jack! You have to sacrifice one the Thunderbolt ports and use an adapter to use your wired headphones with the XPS 13. How stupid is that?

So you get a much better computer with the M2 MacBook Air for roughly the same price as the Dell XPS.

So I will just say this again, the fully loaded M2 MacBook Air is not overpriced.
And again. I have never said they are overpriced. And I also didnt try to be funny. It was a personal experience. Im a apple user too.
Its pretty weird that you bother about the myth of apple being overpriced. I dont think the ipads or imacs is to sad about that.
But please school me in humour Maybe you are an expert.

I think ts time for you to relax about about peopletalking about your beloved apple stuff. Its computers for f**k sake. machines......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You talked in dollars. Swedish VAT, conversion rates and what not has no bearing on this. In dollars that's still only $3,000, so your $4,200 was still way off. It's clear by now counting and appraising isn't your forte.
I live in Sweden so......But maybe its cheaper to fly to USA and buy one there?
Of course I speak in dollars because nobody knows Svensk krona.
Its still that prize for me. Since VAT, conversion applies to me.
At least I exaggerate but you were wrong trying to be a smartass.
Come on dude...whats your problem?
You and your fake account come in reacting to a not very serious, a bit toung in cheek post I did 2 months ago( TWO MONTHS). Being rude??
How can you be mad about that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Your pathetic attempt at humor just perpetuates the "myth" that Apple computers, phones, and iPads are wildly overpriced. That is just not the case. $2,500 for a fanless M2 MacBook Air with 24 GB of RAM and a 2 TB NVMe drive is a great deal..
I fixed that for you. Peace applebrother
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb2 ➡️
Anyone with some review of how the new MacBook Air does with audio
I'm setting it up today but I have done some initial tests and it's looking great, I was running a MacPro Trashcan previously and the air M2 on single core appears so far to be two and a half to three times more powerful, and it runs great at low latency settings, I even ran Acustica Aero at HQ setting with a 32 buffer and it just breezed it, multicore performance will take a bit more time testing but it's looking very good so far, pretty stunning performance.

I got the Midnight Blue 24gb ram, it's the best looking laptop I have ever seen.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon ➡️
I'm setting it up today but I have done some initial tests and it's looking great, I was running a MacPro Trashcan previously and the air M2 on single core appears so far to be two and a half to three times more powerful, and it runs great at low latency settings, I even ran Acustica Aero at HQ setting with a 32 buffer and it just breezed it, multicore performance will take a bit more time testing but it's looking very good so far, pretty stunning performance.

I got the Midnight Blue 24gb ram, it's the best looking laptop I have ever seen.
I was considering a new M2 MacBook Air to replace my aging 2015 quad core 2.8 GHz i7 MacBook Pro. However, I need to be able to run more than one external monitor and need at least 32 GB if not 64 GB of RAM. Even though it's expensive, I would also prefer to have a 4 TB internal drive (where the M2 Air maxes out at 2 TB).

Then there is the fact that the M2 Air doesn't have a fan and will throttle performance under heavy sustained loads. I don't know how serious of an issue this is in practice, though.

This is a bummer because a maxed out M2 Air is only $2,500 and it's incredibly light and mobile (and the midnight color is freaking awesome!).

But unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to get a MacBook Pro M1 Max with the 14" 120 Hz screen, 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 64 GB RAM, and 4 TB drive for a whopping $4,500. Man, that stings. But I've priced out comparable Dell XPS laptops and they are not much cheaper and are clearly inferior in terms of screen quality, keyboard action, trackpad responsiveness, the insane amount of heat generated, and especially the unbearable fan noise.

I guess I just have to pay the piper.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was considering a new M2 MacBook Air to replace my aging 2015 quad core 2.8 GHz i7 MacBook Pro. However, I need to be able to run more than one external monitor and need at least 32 GB if not 64 GB of RAM. Even though it's expensive, I would also prefer to have a 4 TB internal drive (where the M2 Air maxes out at 2 TB).

Then there is the fact that the M2 Air doesn't have a fan and will throttle performance under heavy sustained loads. I don't know how serious of an issue this is in practice, though.

This is a bummer because a maxed out M2 Air is only $2,500 and it's incredibly light and mobile (and the midnight color is freaking awesome!).

But unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to get a MacBook Pro M1 Max with the 14" 120 Hz screen, 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 64 GB RAM, and 4 TB drive for a whopping $4,500. Man, that stings. But I've priced out comparable Dell XPS laptops and they are not much cheaper and are clearly inferior in terms of screen quality, keyboard action, trackpad responsiveness, the insane amount of heat generated, and especially the unbearable fan noise.

I guess I just have to pay the piper.
I guess it's not for you then if you need two monitors, I prefer to run one wide screen personally so thats not an issue, as for the throttling I have been pounding it for several hours and it's not even missed a beat, in-fact it isn't even getting hot or even warm at all and it's beautifully silent.

I have been buying Mac pro's since before Jobs returned to Apple, I had a Powercentre clone, then I have brought a new one about every three years since, I am astonished that this new Air is so powerful! so far i cannot fault it and it has exceeded my expectations.

On an unrelated note I also brought a Black Lion Audio Revolution 2X2, Wow this thing sounds so good, I have been using high end expensive I/O for many years and this is as good as any of them, maybe even better in some ways, the headphones are stunning IMO.
Gear Addict

Quote:
as for the throttling I have been pounding it for several hours and it's not even missed a beat, in-fact it isn't even getting hot or even warm at all and it's beautifully silent.
That's really encouraging regarding the potential overheating and CPU throttling. I think reviewers of the M2 MacBook Air have picked up on this because they are mostly PC dweebs who simply can't accept the fact that Apple has outgunned the PC world (and at similar or better prices). So they have to find some fault with M2 Air. LOL.

Ideally, I like to get a fully loaded M2 Air as my personal laptop and then a Mac Studio Ultra with 64 GB of RAM and an 8 TB drive as my music computer. But that's just way more money than I am willing to spend at this point.
Jb2
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Much appreciated. Given the specs of mba I wonder if the MacBook Pro configuration options will change in the future.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ideally, I like to get a fully loaded M2 Air as my personal laptop and then a Mac Studio Ultra with 64 GB of RAM and an 8 TB drive as my music computer. But that's just way more money than I am willing to spend at this point.
I think it's worth carefully evaluating your needs for laptop vs. desktop. If you only want one computer and need to be mobile, you'll probably want one of the MacBook Pro models (unless like me you only record acoustic music with limited track counts in which case even the M1 Macbook Air would be far more than adequate). You also have to factor in other things you might use your computer for, video editing/color grading being one of the more demanding.

I do video and photography in addition to music, which means for real work I'm sitting in front of a large monitor. A desktop machine gives me the power I need for that for a lot less than I'd spend on a laptop with comparable specs, so I generally go for a higher-end desktop. I rarely do any serious work on my laptop so I can go lower-end for that.

Everyone's situation is different but I think it's important to think through your use cases so you don't over- or underbuy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh ➡️
I think it's worth carefully evaluating your needs for laptop vs. desktop. If you only want one computer and need to be mobile, you'll probably want one of the MacBook Pro models (unless like me you only record acoustic music with limited track counts in which case even the M1 Macbook Air would be far more than adequate).
I have to just say I do pretty large track counts and use CPU hungry plugins, I have always used mac pro machines, but this Air can do more than any MacPro I've ever had, so don't underestimate the power of this thing, I had intended to wait for the iMac Pro but this Air is covering all of my needs, I have it plugged into a 4K monitor and it's working great, I'm not feeling I need any more than this, and when the M3 drops in a year or so then the Air looks to be the perfect music machine IMO, all that and totally silent, I guess if you need a second monitor then it's not ideal, or if you work on very high quality video regularly then other options might be better, (altho working on 4k on this seems fast to me)

last week I was running a fully loaded mac pro, This week I'm running a small Macbook Air and I have way more power to work with, it's hard to believe when you feel how light and thin this thing is, but it's true.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb2 ➡️
Much appreciated. Given the specs of mba I wonder if the MacBook Pro configuration options will change in the future.
for sure M2 will come to the 14/16inch MacBook Pros, probably as "M2 Pro/Max" configurations. normally we might expect it in september, but who knows these days.

i was very tempted by the M2 air but am betting i will like the 14inch M2 MBP a bit more. and i'm replacing a 2014 MBP so what's a few more months
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acanuck ➡️
so what's a few more months
Yeah, that's my philosophy: the longer I can hang on to my existing Macs (which are circa 2013 and 2014 but still meeting all my needs), the better choices I'll have when I finally make the update. I expect to be blown away, but as long as everything's working and not holding me back, I might as well wait. My 2013 trashcan has received its last OS update so I'll replace that once Apple stops delivering security updates. My 2014 Mini won't be far behind but I'll replace that with a laptop (likely an Air).
Old 5th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course I speak in dollars because nobody knows Svensk krona.
Its still that prize for me. Since VAT, conversion applies to me.
At least I exaggerate but you were wrong trying to be a smartass.
You're contradicting yourself. The statements "Its still that prize for me" and "I exaggerate" can't both be true and only the latter is. You're exaggerating, which you already tried to use as an excuse:
Quote:
"I guess internet doesn’t translate humour that well. ".
I've already addressed why your claimed "humorous" attempt failed. As you now have implied your original post wasn't a joke:
Quote:
And I also didnt try to be funny. It was a personal experience.
Yeah? Your numbers are still all wrong.

The truth is that this maxed out Air is $3000 expressed in dollars in the Swedish Apple store including VAT today and on the date of your post it was $3,120. You simply can't do proper conversions is all. It's obvious you were trying to make a point, but I simply feel you failed making it. If you're going to claim a price, exaggerating more might be both humorous and illustrative and if a joke isn't what you're going for, use about the right price. Don't be way off.

I'm not defending Apple's pricing here. I'm defending the facts (that took me 5 minutes to verify). Apple products are quite expensive as it is. There are few reasons to pretend they are even more so.
📝 Reply