Quantcast
Software to organise music projects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software to organise music projects
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Software to organise music projects

Just like the most people, I’ve got several tracks (songs, instrumentals) in various stages of completeness (ranging from finished to 30 sec rough vocal melody recordings on my phone), on several different DAWs, for different purposes/projects. I figured it is finally time to sort things out and categorize them in a way I can keep track of my tracks (pun semi-intended). So, I came up with this example grid:

(right click - view image for the full res picture, not sure why it appears so small here)

The important conditions are:
a. Being able to sort tracks based on certain criteria/columns as well as searching with custom filters i.e show all “instrumental, ambient, sketch ideas on Cubase”. Furthermore, since I also score tracks, it’d be useful being able to include “mood” criteria too, so I am able to, let’s say,locate all “creepy” or “sad + nostalgic” (combined if necessary) pieces on Studio One (as well as simply omitting a DAW criteria).

b. Launching the project files (so they open on the corresponding DAW) from the program I’ve set up this directory. Similarly, launching lyrics, if they exist (natively or a .doc file on MS Word, I don’t mind), as well as either playing a predefined audio sample when I click an icon in the program or simply launching my standard music player and playing it.

I made this mock-up on Excel as an example, but I am not very fond of using it, since apart from not being too familiar with it to do something like that, Excel reminds me of university math formulas rather than artistic endeavours, so I’d prefer a more aesthetically pleasing, yet functional way.

Is there a specific software for something like that? I suppose Notion could do it, there’s definitely a learning curve and I don’t really like the “online mode only” and block limitations, yet if anyone uses any templates for this reason, please let me know.
Any other fields I should make sure to include beforehand or general tips/ideas for my organizing scheme are more than welcome too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass ➡️
...Is there a specific software for something like that?...
In my opinion, the best software would be Claris FileMaker Pro.
If you're intereset, PM me and I send you a link to database ( as seen below with some experimental entries), and with a few modifications will just do what you want. You will have an easy start.
Attached Thumbnails
Software to organise music projects-000.png   Software to organise music projects-001.png   Software to organise music projects-002.png   Software to organise music projects-003.png  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodbrute ➡️
In my opinion, the best software would be Claris FileMaker Pro.
If you're intereset, PM me and I send you a link to database ( as seen below with some experimental entries), and with a few modifications will just do what you want. You will have an easy start.
Thanks for the reply. I gave Notion another look and it doesn't seem to be able to embed a miniplayer inside a "play sample" cell column, or at least launch my standard music player to do so, so I guess it's ruled out...

I am definitely interested in the program you suggested. I already downloaded it and it looks quite complex which usually means it's also powerful (if you know what you are doing that is... ). But it's all good if it can be adapted to the task I described, so I PMed you.

Last edited by Glass; 1 week ago at 07:44 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been getting by with a folder structure.

I used to have 100+ projects in a single 'Sessions' folder.
I spent a day going through it and sorted everything into new folders:

New
Working On
Sketches/Ideas
Scoring
Requested
Complete
Released
Trash
etc.

In my My Working On folder, I only keep 3 projects there at a time and focus on those which helps me get more done. My Trash folder is pretty full as I try not to throw anything away unless I really have to.

You could do this with Genres as well, keeping a similar structure for each. Another thing I've been meaning to do is to create a top level folder with shortcuts to other folders so I don't have to go digging for specific sessions I regularly recall. With some folders, Ill use underscores in the naming to keep folders on at the top of the list alphabetically like _TEMPLATES.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Check your PMs.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…