Quantcast
USB C cable for audio interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB C cable for audio interface
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

USB C cable for audio interface

I have an Audient ID4 mkii and Motu M2, but I need cables for them because the included cables aren't ideal.
I've noticed there are different options out there
For example:
USB 3.1 / 10 Gbps / 5A 20V
vs
USB 2.0 / 480 Mbps / 3A 5V

I'm assuming that more power the better because the interfaces are bus powered, but I'm curious what you think because I don't want to risk harming the interface.

Also, some cables have chips inside, does that have any effect on the audio?

The audient manual says:
USB 3.0
Min requirement: 0.9A @ 5V
Max requirement: 1.5A @ 5V

If I go above the "Max requirement" is that bad?

Please help, thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sorry, I don't know either of those units, but what is wrong with the cables?

Are you planning to use them at the same time?
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Sorry, I don't know either of those units, but what is wrong with the cables?

Are you planning to use them at the same time?
The Audient is for my Windows desktop and the Motu is for my girlfriend's MacBook Pro.

I need a cable that's at least 10ft for my desktop setup, the one included is 3 ft.
The Motu came with a USB C to USB A cable, which requires a dongle. Ideally she'd use USB C to USB C cable
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmanhat ➡️
I have an Audient ID4 mkii and Motu M2, but I need cables for them because the included cables aren't ideal.
I've noticed there are different options out there
For example:
USB 3.1 / 10 Gbps / 5A 20V
vs
USB 2.0 / 480 Mbps / 3A 5V

I'm assuming that more power the better because the interfaces are bus powered, but I'm curious what you think because I don't want to risk harming the interface.

Also, some cables have chips inside, does that have any effect on the audio?

The audient manual says:
USB 3.0
Min requirement: 0.9A @ 5V
Max requirement: 1.5A @ 5V

If I go above the "Max requirement" is that bad?

Please help, thanks!
You need to look up USB current output/rating...what ever, as youre way of base with that 5 amp and 3 amp you posted. Also if you going 10 foot, you may want to get a powered USB hub. Other than that, the interface will just use the current it needs, you can hook up 1,000 amps to it and it'll just use what it needs, and some bus powered interfaces need an external power supply if you are going to be using phantom power for such mic's. The manual will say that...if that is the case.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Here ya go...this is the correct ratings for ports.

USB 2.0 2.5 W 500 mA
USB 3.0 and 3.1 4.5 W 900 mA
USB BC 1.2 7.5 W 1.5 mA
USB Type-C 1.2 15 W 3 A
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Audient is for my Windows desktop and the Motu is for my girlfriend's MacBook Pro.

I need a cable that's at least 10ft for my desktop setup, the one included is 3 ft.
The Motu came with a USB C to USB A cable, which requires a dongle. Ideally she'd use USB C to USB C cable
So the reason you’re having issues is that usb cables can only be a certain length. Before the max cable length was 5 meters. Many, who needed longer cables, then used a powered usb hub with up to 5m cables on either end to gain the range they needed (up to 10m).

But the new standards is actually shorter cabling to maintain power and speed. So the max cable length on usb 3.1 gen 1 is 2m and on gen 2 is 1 meter.

So with that, you might want to figure something else out. With all cabling there is always something you can do.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Another thing, I'm sure ilikefruit just forgot to mention, Is buy Quality Cables...or you're setting yourself up for, EMI, RFI, Etc...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

This is why I think USB 3.1/C/Thunderbolt is a dead end - the restrictive cable lengths are a real bind - and the ports seem to loosen off pretty quickly compared to other standards.
Old 2 days ago
I have, by trying various cables, gotten higher speed USB connections to run over longer distances ... but it's a bit uncertain as the distance goes up.

For example, nearly all 1 meter cables I've used will work great. I have had some 2 meter cables that didn't work reliably. I have found a few 3 meter cables that worked well for USB 2 ... but had a significant number of cables be very unreliable or not at all as well.

There is some correlation to price, quality and brand name - but not a direct or perfect correlation. Some of the most expensive cable brands I tried also did not work well beyond 2 meters in length whereas a few of the cheap direct-from-China cables I bought on eBay do actually work. I was playing this game trying to get an 8 input USB2 interface and USB2 MIDI controller working at my synth table position on the other side of my room from the PC. It did work in the end, but with considerable trial and error and a small pile of not-good-enough cables.

In simple terms, therefore, 10 feet is pushing your luck quite a bit and you may need to spend a hundred bucks or more on a bunch of different cables to find one or two that work.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can we ask why? Normally the interface is by the computer and then you run longer XLR cables to your sound source. At least, that’s what I do. I then use a remote software in my iPad to control my DAW. A lot of people use something like VNC to control their entire computer from their phones.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise and knowledge!

I asked an Audient rep and he stated "the specification for USB-C (USB 3.1 which is required for 1.5A @ 5v) cable length is only 1m or 3.3ft and the specification for USB-C to USB-A (USB 3.0 which is required for 0.9A @ 5v) is only 2m or 6.6ft in length"

With this in mind, I've decided to modify my space a bit and work with the provided C to C cable.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise and knowledge!

I asked an Audient rep and he stated "the specification for USB-C (USB 3.1 which is required for 1.5A @ 5v) cable length is only 1m or 3.3ft and the specification for USB-C to USB-A (USB 3.0 which is required for 0.9A @ 5v) is only 2m or 6.6ft in length"

With this in mind, I've decided to modify my space a bit and work with the provided C to C cable.
Great the hear that Audient shared the consensus of this thread.

Good luck with your space. How does the saying go?
“We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us.”
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefruit ➡️
Can we ask why? Normally the interface is by the computer and then you run longer XLR cables to your sound source. At least, that’s what I do. I then use a remote software in my iPad to control my DAW. A lot of people use something like VNC to control their entire computer from their phones.
Thanks for your input btw! I haven't thought of using phone apps to control DAW yet, will look into it.
Most interfaces I've had in the past had an external power supply, so I used longer cables.
Today I've come up with a workaround in my space that works with the included 3ft cable, so it should be fine.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for your input btw! I haven't thought of using phone apps to control DAW yet, will look into it.
Most interfaces I've had in the past had an external power supply, so I used longer cables.
Today I've come up with a workaround in my space that works with the included 3ft cable, so it should be fine.
Happy to help!

If your GF uses Logic X on her Mac I recommend getting Logic Remote which has become very competent indeed.
📝 Reply