Motu Ultralite Mk5 - Submixing DAW Channels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu Ultralite Mk5 - Submixing DAW Channels
Old 11th May 2021
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Motu Ultralite Mk5 - Submixing DAW Channels

Hi,

I know it's a fairly new interface, but wondered if anyone has an Ultralite Mk5 and could answer a - hopefully - simple question.

I've had a flick through the manual and from what I can read, it seems like it is only possible to route DAW outputs to their equivalent line out; for example you can only send DAW 3+4 to line outs 3+4.

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire currently and it's possible to submix any/all DAW outs to any set of line outs (and have a different mix per line out). I would be shocked if this isn't possible on the Ultralite but can't see any mention of it. Is this something that is possible?

I've contacted Motu (about 2 weeks ago...) but not heard anything back...

Cheers!
Old 11th May 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I could be wrong, but I can't find any way to do it, I have one right here. On line 3-4 I'm only seeing line 3-4 USB stream. However, every output does have the main outs 1-2 available on a second fader.

If you want the full routing matrix you'll probably want the MOTU Ultralite AVB.

For submixing, you can do it inside Cue Mix 5 on the MK 5, but it's a monitor feed only, no printing I don't think. Fine with me. There is EQ and Reverb available, pretty simple, this is simplified in general compared to the AVB software, that some people even find overly complex. I guess you win some and lose some.

If there's a way to do what you say, I can't find it.

However it seems, hm, normal? to me for DAW 3 to be linked to output 3 for simplicity, and it seems like some other interfaces work this way too. Can you solve this routing inside your DAW?
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx โžก๏ธ
I could be wrong, but I can't find any way to do it, I have one right here. On line 3-4 I'm only seeing line 3-4 USB stream. However, every output does have the main outs 1-2 available on a second fader.

If you want the full routing matrix you'll probably want the MOTU Ultralite AVB.

For submixing, you can do it inside Cue Mix 5 on the MK 5, but it's a monitor feed only, no printing I don't think. Fine with me. There is EQ and Reverb available, pretty simple, this is simplified in general compared to the AVB software, that some people even find overly complex. I guess you win some and lose some.

If there's a way to do what you say, I can't find it.

However it seems, hm, normal? to me for DAW 3 to be linked to output 3 for simplicity, and it seems like some other interfaces work this way too. Can you solve this routing inside your DAW?
Hi, thanks for your reply - that's annoying it does seem to work that way.

My live setup is Ableton sending audio to DAW1-4 and Gig Performer sending to DAW5-6. When playing live, each of those outputs goes to their respective line outs - so that would be all good with the Mk5. However, at home, my Saffire allows me to create a submix of all the DAW outputs which I then send out the SPDIF outs to a DAC/Headphone amp. This setup allows me to keep all the DAW outs and interface config exactly as it is for live use and then just use the SPDIFS at home.

As you say, it certainly isn't insurmountable to get around this and for live use it makes no difference at all. I'll have a look at the AVB as well and make a judgement as to what is more useful to have... Cheers!
Old 11th May 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
You can mix two stereo pairs, but not 6 total outputs to stereo, I don't think.

You could use the stereo loopback source tab to select a pair of outputs to loop back into two of your other outputs, using the cue mixer. and then rout that to the SPDIF out.

Not sure if that helps you, because you'd still be missing two of your outputs. If there were only a few more loopback channels, d'oh!!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx โžก๏ธ
You can mix two stereo pairs, but not 6 total outputs to stereo, I don't think.

You could use the stereo loopback source tab to select a pair of outputs to loop back into two of your other outputs, using the cue mixer. and then rout that to the SPDIF out.

Not sure if that helps you, because you'd still be missing two of your outputs. If there were only a few more loopback channels, d'oh!!
Thinking about it more, and having a play with Live, it should be fairly easy to workaround...

The Mk5 has 10outs which is more than I need live, so all I need to do is:

- In Gig Performer send audio to the channels I want to use live, plus also 9+10 (very easy to do)
- In Live, basically do the same but use a send channel to also send audio to 9+10 (which will be a mix of the 4 Live outputs I would use live, mixed by the send)
- Set the SPDIF out to use 9+10s mix
- Job done - all audio always going to the correct line outs and then also submixed, just in a slightly different way, and out of SPDIF

I think that would work. Splendid.
๐Ÿ“ Reply