The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mac advice
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
New Mac advice

Hey Folks,

Hobbiest with my own studio. I use a lot of software and plugins etc.

Currently have a 6 core Mac Pro Trashcan from approx 2012 running on 32gig of ram. Also have a Macbook Pro for the house 16gig approx 2015 period. Find im not using the laptop as a project tool, really just to look at files and do quick edits.

Thinking of upgrading. Looking at the Imac 10core with 32gig of ram for the studio and maybe just a Macbook air for home.

Any advice would be greatly welcome.. Not an IT expert and dont know enough about the new Macbook Pro's or even Mac Mini's.

My main ethos is to buy once and not have to upgrade for at least another 5/6 years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

my advice would be ot wait 6 months. a mac mini M1 or whatever the next iteration the apple silicon is will be better, faster, cheaper, smaller than an imac. the current mac mini with M1 is already really fast and exceeding expectations for a lot of people working w/audio. the thing is to wait for the apps and interfaces/drivers etc to all be compatible with Big Sur/apple silicon.

that's what i'd do anyways.. i have a 12 core cheesegrater and 2018 mbPro and i'm not buying anew computer until i absolutely have to.. so probably not for a few years (fingers crossed)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If the Mac mini went to 32gig it would be a winner..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M Kelly ➡️
which is why I would wait. apple silicon is sure to offer more options at some point.. hopefully sooner rather than later.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayyob ➡️
which is why I would wait. apple silicon is sure to offer more options at some point.. hopefully sooner rather than later.
“A watched kettle never boils” .. we may be in for a long wait
Gear Head

Quote:
“A watched kettle never boils” .. we may be in for a long wait
you already have a cup of tea though. just savor it a bit longer
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayyob ➡️
you already have a cup of tea though. just savor it a bit longer
😂😂😂
Old 4 weeks ago
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Personally, I would stick with the cylindrical Mac Pro for a couple years more. I have one as well, and it still works quite well. It's very quiet, even under load, and has a nice compliment of I/O. Thunderbolt 2 is fast enough for everything I do. My audio interface is Thunderbolt 2, as is my main storage array.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I’ve seen software developers, like Slate and others, saying M1 conversion late 2021-early 2022. Some have been quick. But they usually have less plugins. I remember the Intel transition. Took like 2 years to settle. No way I would get a new Mac to use as a main work machine this year.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 16GB M1 performs as well as 32GB on Intel. The next-gen M1 could be announced next week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks folks,. Some good comments.. think I’ll hold fire for a while 👌👌
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Why are you thinking about upgrading?

You never mention where your current setup is lacking.

Which OS are you using? Which DAW?

What are you missing today?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefruit ➡️
Why are you thinking about upgrading?

You never mention where your current setup is lacking.

Which OS are you using? Which DAW?

What are you missing today?

Using Logic on Catalina. Now and again the computer slows with heavy loads but otherwise its fine. Im really just thinking of upgrading on an 8 year old computer. I might still be able to get a few dollars for it while treating myself to a new toy.
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Using Logic on Catalina. Now and again the computer slows with heavy loads but otherwise its fine. Im really just thinking of upgrading on an 8 year old computer. I might still be able to get a few dollars for it while treating myself to a new toy.
I would agree, except they just stopped selling it a couple years back, so it will get updates for quite a while yet. I still think you have time on it to wait until they release a machine that makes you go "wow!"
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apple updates wasn’t what I was looking for.. guess it’s holding fire to later in the year..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you are using Logic on Catalina then go out and get yourself a M1 Mini the Benchmarks for logic on it are insane. It does 90 tracks with `16gb of ram. Guys are running more instances of Diva on it than a hexcore i7 . It will actually make your Trashcan look likes its nickname in performance. Seriously If you were running Pro Tools I would get the hesitancy but man your on Logic its already optimized for M1.
Its also cheap as hell you could pick up a M1 Mini with 16gb and a 512 drive for around 1k. lol
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic ➡️
If you are using Logic on Catalina then go out and get yourself a M1 Mini the Benchmarks for logic on it are insane. It does 90 tracks with `16gb of ram. Guys are running more instances of Diva on it than a hexcore i7 . It will actually make your Trashcan look likes its nickname in performance. Seriously If you were running Pro Tools I would get the hesitancy but man your on Logic its already optimized for M1.
Its also cheap as hell you could pick up a M1 Mini with 16gb and a 512 drive for around 1k. lol

Was hoping for a larger M1 iMac or a larger Mac mini.. I might hold out for a little bit..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Was hoping for a larger M1 iMac or a larger Mac mini.. I might hold out for a little bit..
Well a larger iMac is most likely down the road but its gonna be a Fall at the earliest announcement. As for a larger Mac Mini there is nothing to signal that except peoples wishful thinking here. We could see an announcement of a upgraded Mini in the Fall with release sometime next year. Like others have said Apple has pretty much covered the low end and will be concentrating on the high end which will take a little more time as well. I Its April if you decide to hold out you will be waiting til Oct . Remember September is Iphone time.

Now if you can hold out that much longer great but it sounds like by your own reports its starting to drag and bother you.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree with Dave.

The M1 Mac mini would be a great upgrade for you. Plus, it’s not the same price as that trash can was 2012, so you could get an upgrade earlier should something more enticing be revealed.

The new iMac looks really great, but it seems to be a replacement for the old 21,5” iMac with a possible replacement for the 27” missing or coming later.
We also know they discontinued the iMac Pro so maybe something great is coming there?

But those are computers with built in displays. So if you want something to just click in to your existing gadgetry, I’d get a Mac mini.

Just make sure that your external hardware is compatible with the M1 and that your plug ins and so on work as well.
Old 1 week ago
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd also suggest waiting a bit until the transition to Apple Silicon is nearing completion.

As an aside, I never quite understood the attraction of all-in-one computers, unless you're pressed for space.

There are so many disadvantages. Typically:

- More noise due to close fans
- Less connectivity when compared with a desktop machine
- More clutter due to having to find a suitable spot for a large machine with cables dangling all over the place
- In case of servicing/repair, you have to lug around a heavy, bulky item which, for protection, you'll probably need to transport inside an even bigger box.
- When the time comes, replacing your computer means replacing your monitor as well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think it´s a good time for some more waiting and patience. The M2/M1X macs will happen sooner or later and will hopefully feature at least 32 gigs of RAM. That´s when I bite the apple.

By then we all hopefully will have left that ****ty pandemic situation behind us and can reward ourselves with a superb new computer. Well deserved, right?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by putte ➡️
I think it´s a good time for some more waiting and patience. The M2/M1X macs will happen sooner or later and will hopefully feature at least 32 gigs of RAM. That´s when I bite the apple.

By then we all hopefully will have left that ****ty pandemic situation behind us and can reward ourselves with a superb new computer. Well deserved, right?
I’m kind of in agreement... I wasn’t going to but I think I’ll hold fire till late summer and see what goodies they are working on..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would just add that when Apple announced the move to Apple Silicon last June they promised a 2 year transition for all Mac lines. Apple is well on track to meet the 2 year transition time frame and I would expect all Macs will have been upgraded to Apple Silicon by this time next year if you can wait another 9-12 months.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You could also upgrade the CPU to a 10-core or a 12-core or have it done by a tech. iFixit rates it as difficult but the OWC CPU upgrade video calls it “involved”.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Folks,

Currently have a 6 core Mac Pro Trashcan from approx 2012 running on 32gig of ram. Also have a Macbook Pro for the house 16gig approx 2015 period. Find im not using the laptop as a project tool, really just to look at files and do quick edits.

Thinking of upgrading. Looking at the Imac 10core with 32gig of ram for the studio and maybe just a Macbook air for home.

Any advice would be greatly welcome.. Not an IT expert and dont know enough about the new Macbook Pro's or even Mac Mini's.

My main ethos is to buy once and not have to upgrade for at least another 5/6 years.
After buying more high-end Macs throughout the years that I care to remember, I decided to move to the "Dark Side" and just invested in a new 5950X Ryzen PC. While YMMV, Apple is no longer a viable option for many creatives, at least not for me. Use what you have for the time-being, save up for a powerful PC, and be done with it. Check out the ADK Pro Audio and other builders out there. They will build you a machine that will put Apple vaporware to shame for a lot less money. Else, pray for miracles that Apple will deliver a box of your dreams. It ain't gonna happen. My 2c.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Folks,

I have the same 2013 trash can with 6 processors and 32 GB of RAM which until a few months ago drove my music studio. I am now using a loaded M1 Mac mini (2 TB/16 GB) and have transferred my projects and plugins - keeping the Mac Pro as a backup in case of problems.

My experience has been very positive. Running Logic in Rosetta mode with lots of plugins (Spectrasonics, Toontrack, NI, Waves, etc) on the M1 is very snappy and stable. The individual processors are about 2x the speed of the trashcan MP which makes a real difference with processor-intensive plugins. Latency seems about the same but I haven’t tested it systematically. I never sense that RAM is a limiter on performance but I don’t use huge banks of samplers. The internal drives in these things are really really fast and it has a very snappy feel. For about a third of the cost of the 2013 MP it’s a pretty good deal.

I realize that there are probably faster and more powerful macs to come, and I may upgrade again if the value is there. But so far I have had very very few compatibility issues and as the plugins all become M1 compatible I expect the performance will only improve. They did a good job with this!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake ➡️
I would just add that when Apple announced the move to Apple Silicon last June they promised a 2 year transition for all Mac lines. Apple is well on track to meet the 2 year transition time frame and I would expect all Macs will have been upgraded to Apple Silicon by this time next year if you can wait another 9-12 months.
Surprised it took this long to start the pc/mac debate 😉
Unfortunately I’m mac through and through.. Using logic and Apogee together.. I’m stuck.. they know it and I know it 😂😂
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flwehr ➡️
I have the same 2013 trash can with 6 processors and 32 GB of RAM which until a few months ago drove my music studio. I am now using a loaded M1 Mac mini (2 TB/16 GB) and have transferred my projects and plugins - keeping the Mac Pro as a backup in case of problems.

My experience has been very positive. Running Logic in Rosetta mode with lots of plugins (Spectrasonics, Toontrack, NI, Waves, etc) on the M1 is very snappy and stable. The individual processors are about 2x the speed of the trashcan MP which makes a real difference with processor-intensive plugins. Latency seems about the same but I haven’t tested it systematically. I never sense that RAM is a limiter on performance but I don’t use huge banks of samplers. The internal drives in these things are really really fast and it has a very snappy feel. For about a third of the cost of the 2013 MP it’s a pretty good deal.

I realize that there are probably faster and more powerful macs to come, and I may upgrade again if the value is there. But so far I have had very very few compatibility issues and as the plugins all become M1 compatible I expect the performance will only improve. They did a good job with this!
Good review 👌👌. I’m swaying this way, let’s see what they produce in a few months. A 32gig M1 Mac Mini would test my wallet..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I bought the M1 today. Doing a Time Machine refresh on my current Mac and will see if I can transfer from my late 2014 Mini. Not too concerned if it doesn't work, I'll just put it back in the box and wait. I think my interface and some plugins won't work, but we'll see.

I do hate the lack of USB ports but I have a hub.

If I can get 4 years off of it, i'll be good with that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I can already report.

I did have to go back to get a TB adaptor. But it's all working, even my Apollo.

This thing does not get hot at all. My old Mini I could fry bacon on it. I warmed blunts on it.

This one stays cold.

I'm happy so far.
📝 Reply